Sochi Winter Olympics General Thread.

"The American heroes are wearing camo. That's not me." - T.J. Oshie

This quote is the reason why I love hockey.

Speaking of Sweden: someone call the IIHF and request the rest of the semifinal between their women's team and team USA go to straight running time for the rest of the game.

Dave

Staff member
Hey, Bode Miller, is your brother dead? Did your medal mean more because your brother died? Hey, when you talk to the sky before your runs is it because your brother died? Did I mention your dead brother? Why are you crying?

*camera stays with Miller as he kneels down out of sight*

*other skiers block the camera shot*

*change angles and stay with Miller*

Fucking classless assholes.

I didn't see the clip, but I read various summaries. Disgraceful and disrespectful.

EDIT: Just watched it. They crushed him, and then they lingered on him, drinking it in. I'm speechless.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1392652358,1392652318][/DOUBLEPOST]The youtuber added the music, so disregard that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392652416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm trying to find the whole thing on YouTube, but they are being taken down fairly quickly. You end up with shit like the above.

[DOUBLEPOST=1392652358,1392652318][/DOUBLEPOST]The youtuber added the music, so disregard that.[DOUBLEPOST=1392652416][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm trying to find the whole thing on YouTube, but they are being taken down fairly quickly. You end up with shit like the above.
They have to add the music to avoid copyright claims.

Agreed, fuck judged sports in the olympics.

I ain't even mad about the medal results, because I don't care about figure skating and ice dancing and such, but I personally loath judged sports in the olympics just because how corrupt they are.

Last edited:
Welp, so much for that.

Ancient One Selanne scores the gamer and sends the host nations home with a loss in the quarterfinals.

Dave

Staff member
Agreed, fuck judged sports in the olympics.

I ain't even mad about the medal results, because I don't care about figure skating and ice dancing and such, but I personally loath judged sports in the olympics just because how corrupt they are.
Ze grapes...zey are zo, zo zour.

Canada is just barely holding it's own against Latvia.

The US has a three point lead against The Czech Republic.

Sweden, however, has really been smashing teams up. As much as I'm cheering for Finland, I'm wondering if they'll manage to beat Sweden.

Canada has just not been playing as well as I expected them to. Much like divisional games, that will mean nothing when team USA plays them.

Canada is just barely holding it's own against Latvia.
Dude, puck possession for Canada is over 90%, the Latvian goalie is having the greatest game of his life.

As to the refs....do you need to shame them like that? Yes he made an impossibly horrible call, he knows it. Don't remind him by putting up on the replay in the arena.

Well, Sweden-Finland and USA-Canada. That should be fun.

Russia ends up being the one of the 5 serious contenders that loses at musical chairs.

Russia might become a contender again when they start sending their best players rather than some of their best players with a few KHLers to promote the league.

I can't remember the last time I thought of the Russians as a great team instead of a team with great players.

edit: Just read a telling stat, the Russians have not one a best vs best hockey tournament since 1981...

Last edited:
Its a funny article, but if they really want to have people pretend the sports are equal, they should be allowed to hit like the men can.

Its a funny article, but if they really want to have people pretend the sports are equal, they should be allowed to hit like the men can.
I didn't realize there was a difference, color me informed! http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303650204579374802885697202.html (long URL is long)

The two line brawls last year between the U.S. and Canada proved women's hockey can get plenty physical.

But all the bumping and shoving that goes on between world's two best teams belies a fundamental truth: If they're playing by the rules, women play a daintier game of hockey than their male counterparts. In women's hockey, body checking—a core tactic of the men's game—isn't allowed.
Some fans gripe that the women's game would be more exciting if they were allowed to flatten each other on the open ice—as they did for years. But the 1970s and 1980s produced vigorous debates in the U.S. and Canada over whether to ban the practice, and eventually it became outlawed in international play. A return to body checking hasn't been seriously considered.

But the game has plenty of body contact even with the rule, players say. "For someone to say there's no body checking and no hits is naive," said Team USA forward Monique Lamoureux. "It happens."

Today, most players and coaches say they like a style of play that encourages speed over brute strength.

"It allows for more development of the skill of the game, and size isn't a limiting factor for players," said Julie Chu, who is playing in her fourth Olympics for Team USA in Sochi. "It's still a really physical game."

Hockey is one of the few major sports whose rules are different for men and women. Lacrosse also bans checking in the women's game.

Fran Rider, president of the Ontario Women's Hockey Association and a former player herself, has argued both sides of the body-checking debate. Allowing the practice would lend more credibility to the women's game, could motivate more people to watch and might reduce dirty play with sticks as a way to vent frustration, she said. But, ultimately, Rider thinks the game is better off without it.

"The game is faster and it highlights skills without body checking," said Rider, who lobbied to get women's hockey into the Olympics. "And lesser-skilled players and teams could use intimidation and goon tactics to injure skilled players on other teams."

Parents are more apt to let their kids play, she said, and professional women are more likely to play with less risk of getting a black eye or tooth knocked out. Unlike professional men, women who play at the highest levels almost always need another source of income.

The U.S. women are looking to end an Olympic gold-medal drought: They won the inaugural women's gold in Nagano in 1998, but Canada has won every Olympic tournament since.

During a pre-Olympic match in December, with the U.S. leading Canada 4-1, tempers flared in the waning minutes and led to a bevy of on-ice fights between several players on each team. An earlier match also ended in fight.

And they're on a collision course again: The U.S. team has started off well in Sochi, defeating Finland 3-1 last week and flattening the Swiss 9-0 on Monday. Canada beat Switzerland 5-0 in its first game and topped Finland 3-0 on Monday.
Looks like the changed the format this year too, specifically due to the power of the US and Canadian women's hockey teams: http://www.businessinsider.com/usa-canada-womens-ice-hockey-rules-2014-2

Instead of splitting up the United States and Canada into different preliminary groups, they are now in the same group with an automatic bye into the knockout stage (via Puck Daddy).
During the preliminary round of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada won their three games by scores of 18-0, 10-1, and 13-1. The United States won their three preliminary games by scores of 12-1, 13-0, and 6-0.
Now the U.S. and Canada will have to play each other along with the third and fourth best teams in the tournament, Finland and Switzerland.
The catch is that all four teams will advance to the knockout stage. The only thing on the line in the preliminary stage for this group is seeding, with the top two teams receiving byes into the semifinal round.