Speak English Motherfucker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speak English mothersmurfer!

Over here (in the Netherlands) all official papers etc are available in arabic among other languages.
I was in The Hague for a few days and everything was in English. (advertisements, shop names, restaurant menu's). I'm used to that being so in Amsterdam but I didn't know other big cities did this too.

So many people never learn to speak Dutch, even though they have lived here for years!
One of my teachers is from London and she said she never really had to learn Dutch since everyone adressed her in English. After ten years she still can't speak Dutch without a very heavy accent.
My best friends (American) mother didn't learn to speak "proper" Dutch in fourteen years.

@ Finnish/Swedish thing. Lots of people think Dutch and German are the same language or so similar that we can understand each other. Ehm. No.

(Not related to what I said before but reading this thread reminded me of this:

I was in Michigan last year, speaking Dutch to my friend and some guy then told his friends:
They're Russians! :D )

R

rabbitgod

ElJuski said:
I didn't know speaking a language was a right...
The relationship between the Federal government and the Native American Reservations within allows the right to pick and use the language of their choice.

The 4th most spoken language in Arizona is a Native American language. That's how they do business.

And certainly you have the right to speak English any time you want. And certainly any business has the right to serve their customers in any language they want.

I could have worded it better, that's for sure.

Covar said:
rabbitgod said:
But what about when this country came to your culture? Louisiana Purchase and all that.
Grandfather clause. All the French that were there when the US purchased it can get a free pass on any language laws. :eyeroll:
They did not, Acadian French has nearly been driven to extinction. There was system wide pressure to stop them "foreign" French speakers from continuing their language. I had a speech prof that was literally whipped in school because he spoke French on the playground on his first day of kindergarten.

GasBandit

Staff member
rabbitgod said:
But what about when this country came to your culture? Louisiana Purchase and all that.

And once again I'll reiterate. I think immigrants should learn english for their own benefit. I don't think it should be required and at the same time they shouldn't get help if they don't. If you can't take the drivers test in english than you don't get to take the test. If you can skate by then so be it.

Suggesting that business have the right to work as they please because this is America and we are free to do as we please, then saying that all immigrants must learn the language is hypocritical. If some are free than all are free. Anything less is bordering racism...or linguism in this case.
The louisiana purchase is irrelevant. English is the cultural language of the U.S. Always has been. That we have fallen so far to the cancerous, politically correct bunk known as "multiculturalism" is an extremely sorry thing. Businesses can refuse service for any reason or no reason, that's free association and also irrelevant to this discussion. The pertinent thing here is that to forge and maintain a national/cultural identity requires assimilation of new immigrants. Otherwise you get culturally segregated ghettos, the residents all mistrusting each other because they're not "like me." That english aptitude has not been a required part of US citizenship so far is one of the tragic shortcomings of our nation.

Indian reservations are also irrelevant because they're basically their own little nations with their own little governments. They can do whatever they want as far as language goes, within their borders.

WolfOfOdin said:
GasBandit said:
Speak English. Assimilate. If your old culture was so awesome you'd still be in your old country.
My family left Ireland due to job offers and having family members who were......involved in the Troubles.

Still, we keep the Irish culture up and such.

By Irish Culture, I'm assuming you mean the contemporary one which speaks english, and not the one that runs around in the woods speaking gaelic, burning people in effigy and making bloody animal sacrifices, yes?

On another note, "The Troubles" is also an excellent example of what can occur due to insufficient cultural assimilation within geographical confines.

Poftoffel said:
I was in Michigan last year, speaking Dutch to my friend and some guy then told his friends:
They're Russians! :D )
That's one of those situations that I would burst into laughter, and carry on with the person who called you Russians as if he was joking. Then I would stop, 'realize' the truth, pretend to be all embarrassed, and apologize since I 'thought' they were joking.

R

rabbitgod

GasBandit said:
The louisiana purchase is irrelevant. English is the cultural language of the U.S. Always has been. That we have fallen so far to the cancerous, politically correct bunk known as "multiculturalism" is an extremely sorry thing. Businesses can refuse service for any reason or no reason, that's free association and also irrelevant to this discussion. The pertinent thing here is that to forge and maintain a national/cultural identity requires assimilation of new immigrants. Otherwise you get culturally segregated ghettos, the residents all mistrusting each other because they're not "like me." That english aptitude has not been a required part of US citizenship so far is one of the tragic shortcomings of our nation.

Indian reservations are also irrelevant because they're basically their own little nations with their own little governments. They can do whatever they want as far as language goes, within their borders.
And customers are free to frequent who they please. If they choose a non english restaurant that is their choice. By requiring immigrants to learn english you are infringing on the inherent beauty of this country, the freedom to do as you like. By requiring immigrants to learn english you introduce big government into peoples everyday life. I'm suggesting that instead of forcing them to assimilate, instead, people simply stop catering to non-speakers.

And I don't see the Lousiana purchase as irrelevant. You said that if people are coming here they must assimilate, but when the U.S. did it, they don't have to. Sure that's the benefit of being the nation in power, but these immigrants are taking power. Cultural change happens whether we like it to or not. It sounds like the people who want required assimilation are scared that it's their turn to be assimilated.

I don't disagree that english for citizenship should be required. Rather, it should be in English and if you can't read the test then too bad. I've already said this already so I won't delve further.

Regarding Reservations, they are still citizens and are free to go about their business outside of their border. If they get that right, then all must get that right. And, again, you don't have to cater to them. Many who don't speak english simply don't leave, but they are still allowed to.

As far as assimilation and segragating, I agree. At no point did I say anything contrary. I just don't think it should be forced.

In the end I think you and I (and a few others) agree more than we disagree. Currently you are not forced to deal with people in business or personally who do not speak the language you want. If they want to struggle and fail then that is their right. I think they should assimilate for their own good, so that they can get the American dream. But forcing them does nothing. They tried it with Natives and the resentment built so great that they have more problems than ever. Where as other Native groups have flourished with the option.

North_Ranger

Staff member
GasBandit said:
By Irish Culture, I'm assuming you mean the contemporary one which speaks english, and not the one that runs around in the woods speaking gaelic, burning people in effigy and making bloody animal sacrifices, yes?
You do realize there's more to Celts than Julius Caesar's propagandistic image, don't you? Hell, Bibracte and other Gallic cities were major hubs of trade and craftsmanship, not some huts surrounded by a palisade.

North_Ranger said:
GasBandit said:
You do realize there's more to Celts than Julius Caesar's propagandistic image, don't you? Hell, Bibracte and other Gallic cities were major hubs of trade and craftsmanship, not some huts surrounded by a palisade.
Next you're going to say that in Irak they knew of foods other than dry mud before the glorious US brought them bountiful shipments of liberty fries.

rabbitgod said:
Regarding Reservations, they are still citizens and are free to go about their business outside of their border. If they get that right, then all must get that right. And, again, you don't have to cater to them. Many who don't speak english simply don't leave, but they are still allowed to.
Natives are considered to have dual citizenship, for both the US and towards their respective tribal nations. Each reservation is considered it's own separate nation in regards to it's language and culture (though being so close to the US heavily influences it) as well as certain laws. In short, they don't have to do it because it was agreed that they would have certain rights and privileges inside of their own territories when they were first created, and they were only given these rights to prevent future uprisings.

rabbitgod said:
But forcing them does nothing. They tried it with Natives and the resentment built so great that they have more problems than ever. Where as other Native groups have flourished with the option.
Your forgetting one huge detail: In the case of the Natives, WE were the hostile invading force and they were the rightful owners of the land. They get special rights in recognition of this fact. That is not the case with other immigrant groups entering into the US today... THEY are newcomers and the US (or State... not sure where this falls) Government gets to dictate the rules by which they will abide.

rabbitgod said:
But forcing them does nothing. They tried it with Natives and the resentment built so great that they have more problems than ever. Where as other Native groups have flourished with the option.
There is a difference between saying "you need to learn English, as it is the primary language in which business, education, and government work are conducted" and "we're gonna kidnap your children, change their names & religions, and force them into our way of life".

R

rabbitgod

They don't have dual citizenship. They are citizens of the U.S. with tribal enrollment that varies from tribe to tribe. That does not grant a second citizenship, there are no documents for immigration, etc.

And really I'm not sure why you wrote the rest of that paragraph. I don't recall saying anything that contradicts what you said. I'm using natives as an example of how citizens are allowed to use the language of their choice. Maybe they aren't a good example since there are federal treaties in place that change the argument. Let's use German speaking Amish. I don't know how many speak English, but surely there are groups of them (and other secluded religious groups) who don't speak English. They don't have special treaties that allow them to stay separate culturally. If they have that right, then all citizens should have that right to conduct themselves in any language they please. Just as any English speaking person can conduct themselves any way they please.

I think you missed the point of what I was saying in the second part. It's true that we were the invading force and have given special liberties to the invaded. That's a part of cultural change. The thing though, is that culture changes at all times. It's changing now. If everybody who isn't an English speaker decided to vote in a certain manner then they would change the cultural standards of this country. This country will change it's culture. It already has.

It's true that we get to make the rules. However, there are no rules currently that require English use as a citizen. You must pass a comprehension test (with exceptions for the elderly), but you are not required to speak use it there after.

And what I was really intending with that paragraph is that patience and encouragement in English comprehension works better than forced education. At one time native were forced to go to English style schools. This has created a lot of ill feelings toward the U.S. by native. Where as at least one group of transplanted Mexican Natives were the option of learning English. They did.

Dorko- I never said it was the same. See above. Encouragement works better than the anger placed against non english speakers.

Even though I've already said this. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY SHOULDN'T LEARN ENGLISH. They should. I just think that we should allow Capitalism to work this out. If people chose not to do business with them then they will have to adapt.

And with that, I appreciate the lively debate, but this seems like a good time for me to bow out. I'll be happy to read any responses as I'm always open to other peoples opinion, but it's probably time for me to stop replying. This thread really shouldn't have this many replies. This is a fun forum with silly pictures and bad puns. I'd like to keep it that way.

K

KenjiFinster

zero said:
KenjiFinster said:
I want to do the same here, but a bit different, since the native language is spanish.

Every single Brazilian I've dealt with doesn't even make an effort to talk in spanish. Even the French and the Germans try to talk in spanish.
Não, nós não FALAMOS Português.
And apparently it is true... :facepalm:

But you know, that is funny... every single Spanish guy I ever met in Brazil for some reason fully expect you to understand them in Spanish. No, we don't have this issue with French and Germans... I guess I'll make a "no hablo espanol" shirt now...
Sorry, I did that in a hurry with the Google translator.
Anyone who doesn't even try to make an effort to use the language of the country they are in should be scolded. I really don't have an issue with a foreigner who speaks in "broken" spanish (even brazilians). But when they don't even make a little effort, it makes me really angry.

I mention the brazilians because they are the ones I see the most (30 or so every day), and they feel offended when you don't answer them in portuguese (one even tried to give me a punch)

Curious thing: French tourists speak a pretty good "broken" spanish, and they're actually quite nice. Never had seen a trace of that "xenophobe" thing with them.

KenjiFinster said:
zero said:
KenjiFinster said:
I want to do the same here, but a bit different, since the native language is spanish.

*snip*

Every single Brazilian I've dealt with doesn't even make an effort to talk in spanish. Even the French and the Germans try to talk in spanish.
Não, nós não FALAMOS Português.
And apparently it is true... :facepalm:

But you know, that is funny... every single Spanish guy I ever met in Brazil for some reason fully expect you to understand them in Spanish. No, we don't have this issue with French and Germans... I guess I'll make a "no hablo espanol" shirt now...
Sorry, I did that in a hurry with the Google translator.
Anyone who doesn't even try to make an effort to use the language of the country they are in should be scolded. I really don't have an issue with a foreigner who speaks in "broken" spanish (even brazilians). But when they don't even make a little effort, it makes me really angry.

I mention the brazilians because they are the ones I see the most (30 or so every day), and they feel offended when you don't answer them in portuguese (one even tried to give me a punch)

Curious thing: French tourists speak a pretty good "broken" spanish, and they're actually quite nice. Never had seen a trace of that "xenophobe" thing with them.

Guys... you do realize that both Spanish and Portuguese speakers believe that, at least on paper, the languages are very similar and hence assume that if they speak slowly in the other language, they'll be understood?

I'm not saying it's a solid conclusion, but it makes sense on why brazilians would go to spanish-speaking countries without trying to speak spanish and vice versa. I'm not justifying them, just explaining.

Bubble181 said:
Rabbitgod: the Amish don't speak German, they speak an old and adapted version of Dutch. :-P
This, and they also speak English with anyone outside of their communities because they know we generally aren't going to know it. The Amish aren't a problem because they don't demand we secede to their special needs, they meet the needs of the general public anytime they need to interact with them.

AshburnerX said:
Bubble181 said:
Rabbitgod: the Amish don't speak German, they speak an old and adapted version of Dutch. :-P
This, and they also speak English with anyone outside of their communities because they know we generally aren't going to know it. The Amish aren't a problem because they don't demand we secede to their special needs, they meet the needs of the general public anytime they need to interact with them.

Actually, no. Rabbitgod pointed out in PMs that they do, in fact, speak a bastardized German, not a bastardized Duth. I'm never wrong, so I obviously just said that to test him. :paranoid: :whistling:

Bubble181 said:
AshburnerX said:
Bubble181 said:

Actually, no. Rabbitgod pointed out in PMs that they do, in fact, speak a bastardized German, not a bastardized Duth. I'm never wrong, so I obviously just said that to test him. :paranoid: :whistling:
Oops. *facepalm*

Chandler: Hold on a second, Joe. Where do Dutch people come from?
Joey: Ah, well, the, uh, Pennsylvania Dutch come from Pennsylvania.
Chandler: And the, uh, other Dutch people? They come from somewhere near the Netherlands, right?
Joey: Nice try! See, the Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Calleja said:
Chandler: Hold on a second, Joe. Where do Dutch people come from?
Joey: Ah, well, the, uh, Pennsylvania Dutch come from Pennsylvania.
Chandler: And the, uh, other Dutch people? They come from somewhere near the Netherlands, right?
Joey: Nice try! See, the Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from.
After seeing the Red Light district in Amsterdam... he's not that far off.

A

Anubinomicon

ok here's the problem... the people who are saying people shouldn't need to learn english well enough to order food are missing something.....

THIS WENT TO COURT TO SEE IF THE CHEESESTEAK SHOP OWNER WAS INFRINGING ON THE RIGHTS OF PEOPLE COMING TO HIS ESTABLISHMENT WHERE HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE.

Anubinomicon said:
ok here's the problem... the people who are saying people shouldn't need to learn english well enough to order food are missing something.....

THIS WENT TO COURT TO SEE IF THE CHEESESTEAK SHOP OWNER WAS INFRINGING ON THE RIGHTS OF PEOPLE COMING TO HIS ESTABLISHMENT WHERE HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REFUSE SERVICE.
No, it has been established by the Civil Rights Bill that running a public service does not give you carte blanche to discriminate. Every Whites Only Diner in America had to start serving everyone. In a lot of ways this is the similar to that level of discrimination.

sixpackshaker said:
Anubinomicon said:

No, it has been established by the Civil Rights Bill that running a public service does not give you carte blanche to discriminate. Every Whites Only Diner in America had to start serving everyone. In a lot of ways this is the similar to that level of discrimination.
Didn't know humans communicated by skin colour. The more you know, I guess.

Bubble181 said:
Like Flemish? :smug:

My opinion is that if you live in a country with a language other than your native, you should at least learn the basic words. True, some people have more difficulty learning languages than others, and some languages are in themselves more difficult than others, but really, you're gonna live there the rest of your life - or at least a long time. Plenty of time to take a course or whatever.

J

JCM

sixpackshaker said:
Anubinomicon said:

This.

As long as one is running a public service, he has to follow the law, and only refuse services on valid grounds.

Denbrought said:
sixpackshaker said:
Anubinomicon said:

It does not take much time to let the customer grab a menu and point to what he needs. I have served several people in my life that do not speak English. Yes, your 2 minute transaction now takes 3. But their money is just as green as mine.

sixpackshaker said:
Denbrought said:
sixpackshaker said:
Anubinomicon said:

It does not take much time to let the customer grab a menu and point to what he needs. I have served several people in my life that do not speak English. Yes, your 2 minute transaction now takes 3. But their money is just as green as mine.
You're delivering subpar service, though. They won't know exactly what they're ordering unless there's clear pictures in the menu (or been told, or eaten there before, etc.), plus if they don't like something like salt or tomatoes (or they're allergic to an ingredient) you're not helping them by making things easier.
Also, while their money may be as green as yours, compare how much time it takes to serve 20 non-english speakers and 30 english speakers (going by your numbers).

Denbrought said:
You're delivering subpar service, though. They won't know exactly what they're ordering unless there's clear pictures in the menu (or been told, or eaten there before, etc.), plus if they don't like something like salt or tomatoes (or they're allergic to an ingredient) you're not helping them by making things easier.
Also, while their money may be as green as yours, compare how much time it takes to serve 20 non-english speakers and 30 english speakers (going by your numbers).
Good, if he is getting 20 Spanish speakers turned away a day. He is loosing nearly $200. I am just glad that the Spanish speaking restaurants in my home town want my money.

sixpackshaker said:
Denbrought said:
Good, if he is getting 20 Spanish speakers turned away a day. He is loosing nearly $200. I am just glad that the Spanish speaking restaurants in my home town want my money.
It's his decision. If he chose wrong, he'll get hurt economically. I still don't see why this should have legal ramifications.

GasBandit

Staff member
rabbitgod said:
And customers are free to frequent who they please. If they choose a non english restaurant that is their choice.
Of course customers are free to frequent who they please. Never said they weren't. I said immigrants should be required to demonstrate proficiency in english as part of their path to citizenship.

By requiring immigrants to learn english you are infringing on the inherent beauty of this country, the freedom to do as you like. By requiring immigrants to learn english you introduce big government into peoples everyday life. I'm suggesting that instead of forcing them to assimilate, instead, people simply stop catering to non-speakers.
The freedom to do as you like... ahh, I remember when we still had that. It was back in the day before national security, nanny-statery, and political correctness trumped liberty.

And I don't see the Lousiana purchase as irrelevant. You said that if people are coming here they must assimilate, but when the U.S. did it, they don't have to. Sure that's the benefit of being the nation in power, but these immigrants are taking power. Cultural change happens whether we like it to or not. It sounds like the people who want required assimilation are scared that it's their turn to be assimilated.
The US (former british colony, english speakers) bought Louisiana, not vice versa.

I don't disagree that english for citizenship should be required. Rather, it should be in English and if you can't read the test then too bad. I've already said this already so I won't delve further.

As far as assimilation and segragating, I agree. At no point did I say anything contrary. I just don't think it should be forced.

In the end I think you and I (and a few others) agree more than we disagree.
So it seems. But I hold a firmer stance I think - I believe assimilation should be strongly pursued, not just left as an option. It's the first step to combating the festering multiculturalism that has metastasized throughout the nation, reinforcing (if not outright causing) many of the social problems we experience today.

Since when was Language a grounds for discrimination according to the Civil Rights Act? It seems to me that would be highly abuseable, not to mention potentially unintentional, way to use an act. Yes, some people might be willing to desciminate based on it, but that doesn't stop a large part of the population from being unable to interact with someone based on language differences.

Can you post where it says it in any of the Civil Rights Acts?

GasBandit said:
So it seems. But I hold a firmer stance I think - I believe assimilation should be strongly pursued, not just left as an option. It's the first step to combating the festering multiculturalism that has metastasized throughout the nation, reinforcing (if not outright causing) many of the social problems we experience today.
Multiculturalism isn't a problem in and of itself. Yes, areas like the local Little Italy, German Town, China Town, and the like may have been cloisters of ethnic pride and culture in the US, but it was usually still possible to communicate with the people in those areas because they were at least TRYING to learn the language. Having differing cultures is NOT a problem if the different cultures are able to communicate freely and clearly. Yes, there will always be friction between them, but it's much better when the cops can understand the people they are supposed to be protecting.

But that's the problem today; the newly inbound immigrants aren't learning the language of the land because the US Government has seen fit to provide services for them in their native tongue. This sends the wrong message to them. Now the kids... we got the kids handled. I know my school district at least that we had classes for kids where part of the curriculum was getting them to learn English (or at least we did, until the 4th failed levy made us cut everything non-necessary :( ). Where is this for Adults? Does the US Government provide free English classes to people coming into the US? If not, that might be a good first step to combating this problem.

Oh and Gas... you might want to reword what you were saying. I could replace the word "multiculturalism" with a lot of words and you'd sound like a Southern Democrat during the Civil Rights Era, championing against racial equality. That's not a good position to be arguing from.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not referring to mere pride and practice of that which is one's heritage, I'm talking about refusal to assimilate into American culture in favor of adherence to an unchanged version of your original language and culture. I see it happen all the time here in Texas. There's quite a bit of trouble going on in France and the Netherlands for the same reason, I hear (from people who live there).

GasBandit said:
You're sounding more like a Republican and less like a Libertarian here.

GasBandit said:
I'm not referring to mere pride and practice of that which is one's heritage, I'm talking about refusal to assimilate into American culture in favor of adherence to an unchanged version of your original language and culture. I see it happen all the time here in Texas. There's quite a bit of trouble going on in France and the Netherlands for the same reason, I hear (from people who live there).
See, that's much better. Now you don't sound like a member of a lynch mob. :)

A

Anubinomicon

Denbrought said:
sixpackshaker said:
Denbrought said:
It's his decision. If he chose wrong, he'll get hurt economically. I still don't see why this should have legal ramifications.
This. not to mention he doesn't have a "menu" that one can hold and point to exactly. maybe he does have some printed up, but really do you ever go to food stands? have you ever had to stand in line while someone who speaks english takes a ton of time ordering while you wait in the hot sun or cold weather? have you ever been to pat's or geno's in philly? the line stretches for a block sometimes, and it can take at least 20 min just to get up front to order.

Status
Not open for further replies.