[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

GasBandit

Staff member
I was trying to get caught up on Metalocalypse before watching Doomstar Requiem... But.. Season 3 is so BAD. What happened to this show?! Does it get better again in season 4?

I think season 4 is an improvement, just because it moves back to 10 minute episodes. 3 has a couple that are pretty funny. I always liked Fatherklok.

Someone needs to sit Kurt Sutter down and just scream at him the importance of editing until he understands. Seriously. Sons of Anarchy does not need to be 90 minutes long each week, considering they pad each episode with like 12 musical montages. FUCKING STAHP. I don't care that Katey Sagal has a new album coming out and that she's your wife Kurt, having her do the music for your show is fucking distracting. She's a good singer but her voice is too distinct and it's completely bonkers to hear Gemma Teller singing that song.

Especially frustrating considering FXX is apparently ending It's Always Sunny next season because it's too expensive. You know what you could have bought with all these extra half-hours Sons has gotten this season? Another season of Terriers, which was a better show. Fuck.

So is anyone else watching the Goldbergs? I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not.

Arrow continues to get better each week.

Arrow starts off pretty uneven, but it's quickly gone from being a guilty pleasure to an outright not-guilty-whatsoever pleasure.

Someone needs to sit Kurt Sutter down and just scream at him the importance of editing until he understands. Seriously. Sons of Anarchy does not need to be 90 minutes long each week, considering they pad each episode with like 12 musical montages. FUCKING STAHP. I don't care that Katey Sagal has a new album coming out and that she's your wife Kurt, having her do the music for your show is fucking distracting. She's a good singer but her voice is too distinct and it's completely bonkers to hear Gemma Teller singing that song.
I didn't really notice that until watching the most recent episode after reading your post. Congratulations on ruining it for me too. :p

South Park hasn't been great this season, hell, it hasn't been great for a while, but God damn if their console launch episodes aren't always gold. This was fantastic.

I wish Hulu would stop labelling shows "Hulu Original" shows. They're just buying the syndication rights to BBC shows and labelling them as "Hulu Originals" in an effort to appear that they're producing their own content like Netflix.

Almost Human: Throw in some matchmaking and Carl Urban plays all his roles. I kid mostly, in this show he plays a no-nonsense futuristic law enforcer in a crime overridden city, where he is forced to partner with a synthetic robot who he hates because of their over-reliance on logic and lack of emotions. The first episode was actually pretty good. Nice looking future (with nods to Bladerunner), and a plot that moves fast enough to tell us that they're not going to be beating a racism metaphor into the ground. Hopefully we get some good Ghost in the Shell-esque philosophical questions, and not just a cop drama with LEDs.

And with season five of Angel, I have finished the televised Buffyverse. Actually finished season seven of Buffy a while ago, but wanted to wait until finishing Angel to talk about it.

While Season seven of Buffy didn't have as many great stand-alone episodes as 1-6, I felt it was a good finale season and liked how they ended it on a semi cliff hanger. Now I'm not sure if I'm gonna get flack for saying this or not but-
I wasn't sad when Anya was killed. No, weirdly enough I was kind of proud. This was a character who lost her humanity by choice through a crime of passion and after regaining her humanity, sacrificed it for a mere Matt Chapman quoting side-character. As sad as I am that she's dead, it was a heroic death(though I will admit it was annoying her being stabbed in the back).

Season 5 of Angel while a good season, hell maybe even my favorite, I'm not sure as being a straight up finale season. I mean there were a LOT of great stand alone epsisodes, my favorites being the ones that Ben Edlund wrote himself(Smile Time, Cautionary tale of Numero Cinco, the Girl in Question) but while the series ended on a cliffhanger I can't honestly say in my opinion it was a series ending cliffhanger rather than a season ending cliff-hanger.

So *clap* the comics! Yay? Nay?

I was not a fan of the Season 8 comic. I think Joss Whedon lets his lesbian fetish get out of control, plus he tries to shoehorn in every villain that ever existed on the show.

Almost Human: Throw in some matchmaking and Carl Urban plays all his roles. I kid mostly, in this show he plays a no-nonsense futuristic law enforcer in a crime overridden city, where he is forced to partner with a synthetic robot who he hates because of their over-reliance on logic and lack of emotions. The first episode was actually pretty good. Nice looking future (with nods to Bladerunner), and a plot that moves fast enough to tell us that they're not going to be beating a racism metaphor into the ground. Hopefully we get some good Ghost in the Shell-esque philosophical questions, and not just a cop drama with LEDs.
This is the first television show in almost 5 years that makes me wonder whether it wouldn't be worth it to get television again.
And then I realize that it's only one show, and I'd need at least a few more before I would consider walking back into Cable McCompany's welcoming embrace.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster said:
Yeah I heard the same from this one guy I know. I think I'll roll the dice and try it out.
I managed to get all the graphic novels of season 8 from the library. Might check that option out.

This is the first television show in almost 5 years that makes me wonder whether it wouldn't be worth it to get television again.
And then I realize that it's only one show, and I'd need at least a few more before I would consider walking back into Cable McCompany's welcoming embrace.

--Patrick
Hulu? Second episode was pretty good. Budget was toned down from the pilot, and they start to give you a better idea of the kind of themes and futuristic crimes that you can expect to see.

So...uh....a lot went on on today's Arrow but I'm gonna get all shallow. What is up with the actress playing Laurel? She's lost a lot of weight, and she didn't exactly have much to spare.

Last edited:
Just finished season 2 of Veronica Mars. Not as good or tight as the first season, but what it loses in season long mystery it more than makes up for in character work. This show has some of the most well written characters in a TV show.

Some thoughts:
  • I over thought the season arc.
  • Logan is the best written bad boy who's really just broken trope I've ever seen. The scripts and the actor really make it work and buy into it, when I normally just roll my eyes.
  • Weevil and Logan are the most entertaining relationship in the show.
  • I love that every so often they remind you that Veronica Mars is still a teenager and can get things wrong.
  • Whoever they hired to handle the technology on the show is my hero. I've never seen anything be so close to reality before or since.

South Park: They really capture the spirit of audiences when Randy says "But you can't die--everyone likes you!"

Part 2 pulls kind of a dick move (not in the way Butters complains about). I expected there to be spoilers for season 3 of Game of Thrones, but not for later in book 3 that the TV show hasn't gotten to yet. Other dick moves include the delaying (having flashbacks to the Cartman's mom two-parter) and that everytime I think of the Game of Thrones opening them I now hear "wei-ner, weiner-weiner". Thanks a fucking lot, South Park.

--Patrick
Sometimes I seriously am amazed at how much of a technophile and luddite you are at the same time. It kind of blows my mind.

Sometimes I seriously am amazed at how much of a technophile and luddite you are at the same time. It kind of blows my mind.
I'm quite a collection of curious contradictions, aren't I?
The short of it is that we simply can't afford it. Not enough money to subscribe, not enough time to make use of it even if we did.

--Patrick

So... does anyone still watch Family Guy? Because... yeah.

They killed off Brian. And seems like they're trying to keep him dead. Many think Seth McFarlane is trying to kill the show, thinking it's run too long.

They killed off Brian. And seems like they're trying to keep him dead. Many think Seth McFarlane is trying to kill the show, thinking it's run too long.
Yeah, that was weird. And then after a month of grieving they replaced him with
Tony Sirico
. A very strange, and probably not permanent choice.

It was all the news around work last night. People kept getting a text from somebody and then exclaiming.
I haven't watched the show since probably season 3 or 4, so there's probably quite a bit I'm behind on.

--Patrick

All this talk about the Mr. Peabody movie reminded me, I HAVE ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE ON DVD! So, been watching that and enjoying just about all of it.