The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

I know I took a lot of heat for it, but Nicki Minaj = talentless skank. "Her" song is nothing but a direct ripoff of a real song laced with hypersexualized bullshit to distract from the fact that she's not doing anything but autotuning over someone else's song. And before you give me crap about the skank part, look up the meaning.
Wait, are you saying the problem you have with the song is sampling? Because that happens in all of hiphop, otherwise everyone's just ripping off Clyde Stubblefield.

Yeah... sampling is kind of a runaway problem at this point, at least in Hip Hop. It's more tolerable in Rap though, where original lyrical content is the entire point and everyone knows it.

Dave

Staff member
Wait, are you saying the problem you have with the song is sampling? Because that happens in all of hiphop, otherwise everyone's just ripping off Clyde Stubblefield.
Depends on the amount of sampling done. In this case it's the whole damned thing. There's nothing original about this song. Nothing in it is hers.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's more tolerable in Rap though, where original lyrical content is the entire point and everyone knows it.
If that were true, they'd all use the exact same unsourceable boom-whack-boom-boom-whack loop instead of basically lifting entire 20 year old songs to rap over.

Depends on the amount of sampling done. In this case it's the whole damned thing. There's nothing original about this song. Nothing in it is hers.
If that's true, then Sir Mix-a-lot was having sex with way more drug dealers than I remember.[DOUBLEPOST=1414172182,1414171843][/DOUBLEPOST]Sampling at its worst?

Also, please note: There's plenty of reasons to dislike the Anaconda video. While I like it, I also admit it's rather lazy, and makes me wish that Nicki would go back to the actual risks that made her famous instead of this pop-produced "controversy." I just don't see sampling as a problem, it's a part of the genre and artform.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just don't see sampling as a problem, it's a part of the genre and artform.
It has its gradations, running the gamut from "respectful tribute" to "institutionalized plagiarism." If you ask me, though, a large sampling would find itself weighted toward the latter end of the spectrum.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can't watch that any more without hearing Brentalfloss's rap lyrics.

Yeah the name's Garrett
I got moves like a Ferret
I'mma steal yo shit
And I'm not gonna share it

This comedy sketch is brilliant. I find myself going back it looking it up every couple of years. Not only is the premise freaking bizarre and hilarious, but the entire 4 minute sketch is one long take. Brilliant

GasBandit

Staff member
After how well the guy playing Hades nailed the voice of his character, I was kind of disappointed by Jafar, and then REALLY disappointed Scar didn't sound anything remotely like Jeremy Irons.

GasBandit

Staff member
Makes a good point. Scar was the only Disney villain to actually make any real evil progress.
Gaston pretty much had the town wrapped around his finger, and his downfall was only the final climactic battle which could have gone either way. Granted, Gaston's ascendancy happened prior to the movie's start.

GasBandit

Staff member
JonTron keeps draggin' up crap from my childhood, this time skewering that ol' Saturday night Nick Nostalgia with Are You Afraid of the Dark (part 1 of ?)

That's doctor VINK, with a VUH VUH VUH

Last edited: