The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

When I played city of heroes, I had to reroll my first character. Not because it was a bad build, but because I'd used the gaelic word for lightning. I never got invited to groups because nobody could freaking spell my name right when trying to invite me, and they'd just give up.
Everyone using goofy internet names is why I started using the name randal online. Now I'll be changing my name to randy lol

Back in my day...

The CoX kiddies were all making claws scrappers/stalkers with names like XxXw00veryneXxX trying with little success to avoid the copyright police.

While here I was making direct copies of Ambush Bug and Captain Marbles (from MAD's Superduperman) daring them to come at me. And they never did.

Reactions: Cat

GasBandit

Staff member
My favorite character was a fire/fire brute named MATERIO CALIENTE!

Which sounds cool but is really bad spanglish. It's a forced-male version of what came up when I ran "Hot Stuff" through google translate - Materia Caliente, which is more like saying "high temperature matter."

But every time I start to get nostalgic for CoX I look up a video of somebody actually playing it and then I remember why I quit. The character generation really was the best part of that game. Somewhere around level 30 it just became a stupid repetitive grind.

Superhero names in spanish sound ridiculous to me. Maybe it's because I learned their english names before I knew what the word means.

Yup. You also run into this with love songs ,for example. "I love you' can sound trite, but "ti amo" or "yo quiero" or "Ich lieve Dich" sound different.
Post automatically merged:

I always get annoyed by the Dutch version, which is "Ik hou van jou", meaning it has an internal rhyme on "ou" which is an easy vowel to stretch and get melodramatic with and it often sounds so forced...

Yup. You also run into this with love songs ,for example. "I love you' can sound trite, but "ti amo" or "yo quiero" or "Ich lieve Dich" sound different.
Post automatically merged:

I always get annoyed by the Dutch version, which is "Ik hou van jou", meaning it has an internal rhyme on "ou" which is an easy vowel to stretch and get melodramatic with and it often sounds so forced...
When I was in high school, I used to croon made-up spanish songs at my female friends and they'd all swoon. They never learned that I was actually saying things "You have amazing titties" or "I wanna snatch you up" (coger, to catch or snatch up, is slang for sex) or "using bleach to sanitize" :D

Personally I like a short and sweet "love you" tossed in near the end of a conversation. Some people have been weirded out by how I show affection tho

GasBandit

Staff member
When I was in high school, I used to croon made-up spanish songs at my female friends and they'd all swoon. They never learned that I was actually saying things "You have amazing titties" or "I wanna snatch you up" (coger, to catch or snatch up, is slang for sex) or "using bleach to sanitize" :D

Argh I don't have time to listen to this right now but it's basically the same principle as why "Christmas Music" is always the same selection of Boomer tunes:
That charts not wrong, per se, but it is ignoring the Mariah Carey factor, which has been Christmas domination since the 1990's. Well, started in the 90's but reached super-saturation by the early 2000's. Also "Last Christmas","Do They Know It's Christmas Time", (1980's) "Where Are You Christmas" (2000) and recent additions "Underneath the Tree" (2013, post-list). So if we were really being accurate, it may swing heavily boomer, but for the past 4 decades, Gen X made a big dent in Christmas music standards.

EDIT: Also, I have no idea how to categorize "Happy Christmas (War is Over)"and "Wonderful Christmastime", which are solo efforts released in the 1970's, but ex-Boomer band members. Also, Joni Mitchell's "River", which is '71, but her career didn't really start until '65, the end of the Boomers, so maybe? If Gen X is considered '65-'80, who do we attribute these to?

Last edited:
And that doesn't even include Tom Lehrer or Weird Al! (Or Adam Sandler)
I assume the chart is more about Christmas "standards," meaning the songs you most frequently hear played overhead in order to whip you into a frenzy of consumption.
I of course acknowledge the more recent additions to the repertoire, but the "core" is still overwhelmingly Boomer, and probably will be until such time as Beyoncé & Co. are finally in their eighties.

--Patrick

Yes, but my point being the "standards", while still majority Boomer, are not as starkly Boomer as he portrays it. The songs I listed are considered "standards", have been for 30-40+ years, and are played ad nauseam, in their original and multiple covered forms, as often as the ones he sites. I mean, we literally have an annual thread , which you've posted in, based on the omnipresence of "Last Christmas" alone. So I realize that including this data wouldn't make his point quite so dramatically, and he obviously left it off to do so, but it does make it an imperfect comparison because of it.

Last edited:
Every morning I look at myself in the mirror, right in the eyes, and I say "You stupid bitch, you stupid fucking bitch. I can't believe how dumb you are. Jesus christ, I can't believe how fucking dumb you are. You are the dumbest motherfuck" and that's all the motivation I need

figmentPez

Staff member
If you want to know a lot about the different modes of operation for elevators, especially relating to security:

DeviantOllam is fascinating. Unless I'm mistaken, he works in the security industry as a penetration tester (both physical and digital, I think) evaluating the security of locations by bypassing it. His YouTube is eclectic, to say the least, everything from lock-picking to firearms (mostly tips on airplane travel when you're checking guns in your baggage), to food/cooking, to assorted product reviews.

His keynotes can sometimes be found on other channels, like this one on door security. He's a really good public speaker; entertaining as well as informative.

The same guy who created a "real" Venom suit has done it again, this time with real Spider-Man like climbing technology. The end result is honestly incredible. With further refinement, I could see this tech having some incredible, real world applications.

figmentPez

Staff member
I for one am still flabbergasted that the whole of the US just finds it acceptable for multi-million dollar companies to just leave their delivered packages on your porch and just hope for the best...
Like so many things that are wrong in American culture, we've accepted the lie that it would cost too much to do it correctly. We've been told that we have to choose between them just leaving the package there, or missing the delivery because the driver only has -10 seconds to deliver the package (after which tracking down what actually did happen to the package will be a longer and more difficult task than just getting a replacement after it was stolen).

It's a kind of weaponized incompetence on the part of major businesses. Like an asshole intentionally loading the dishwasher wrong so their partner will just give up and do all the cleaning in the future, businesses bitch, moan, and intentionally fail to do any more than the bare minimum, knowing if that if complain enough that consumers will just settle for bad service, as long as it's cheaper than some other company's bad service.

Like so many things that are wrong in American culture, we've accepted the lie that it would cost too much to do it correctly. We've been told that we have to choose between them just leaving the package there, or missing the delivery because the driver only has -10 seconds to deliver the package (after which tracking down what actually did happen to the package will be a longer and more difficult task than just getting a replacement after it was stolen).

It's a kind of weaponized incompetence on the part of major businesses. Like an asshole intentionally loading the dishwasher wrong so their partner will just give up and do all the cleaning in the future, businesses bitch, moan, and intentionally fail to do any more than the bare minimum, knowing if that if complain enough that consumers will just settle for bad service, as long as it's cheaper than some other company's bad service.
and here I am having my packages held at the post office/UPS/FEDEX store like some sort of caveman!
also fun story, everyone I do business with is now requiring an "adult signature" for any order more than 300 dollars, and boy was that a surprise since I started building a legit audio stack in my office piece by piece.