[Other] The not so funny pic thread (some NSFL or gore)

Wasn't sure whether to post this in the Heart thread, funny pictures, or random crap, but this seemed most appropriate.

This is why I'll never want a pet armadillo. Read the video description.
(Warning: poop.)

Same holds true for almost all wild animals. I love a whole lot of the fox videos/pictures posted here, but most foxes are NOT dogs and should not be kept as such. Many of the ferret and weasel pics and videos are awesome, but again, weasels, ermine, stoats etc aren't ferrets and shouldn't be kept as such.

Most of these animals will not adapt to being caged or kept inside; much of what looks "cute" is actually stress symptoms, and, well, yes, they usually aren't/can't be house broken.

Also, is that H2O2 or your patella?
Mangled skin. Well, my first thought was mangled skin. i just took the gauze off to double check, and there's a big divot there. I might have to go to urgent care.

Edit: At urgent care, though i expect they won't do much more than I've already done. Better safe than sorry

Last edited:
yeah, doc said he'd have given me stitches but the hole was so big that there was no way to really pull the skin far enough over, so I get the joy of open wound healing.

That white bit...not mangled skin. Subcuteous/fat layer. Whee :D

I thought it was just the serum and suchlike that tends to accumulate in such divots.

--Patrick
I took that pic literally moments after it happened. It didn't start accumulating stuff until a bit later. The "what it looks like now" pic was before the nurse cleaned it again. Once she scrubbed it with anti-bacterial solution, the white layer showed right backup. But I didn't want to stop her and ask her to let me take another pic...because, that woulda been too much. "Hey, can you pause a minute and let me get a pic for the 'Gram?" lol

I took that pic literally moments after it happened. It didn't start accumulating stuff until a bit later. The "what it looks like now" pic was before the nurse cleaned it again. Once she scrubbed it with anti-bacterial solution, the white layer showed right backup. But I didn't want to stop her and ask her to let me take another pic...because, that woulda been too much. "Hey, can you pause a minute and let me get a pic for the 'Gram?" lol
From nurse friends, they’ve heard it, seen it, and had patients ask them to take the photo. Wish this was a joke.

Knee update pic. It's actually healing up pretty good. It's all shiny because I'm using an anti-bacterial ointment (neosporin on steroids, basically) on the regular.
The edges look good--scabs are naturally releasing to angry looking scar tissue underneath. I expect the very center (which is where the wound was deepest) will probably take a month finally be done.

So, looks like I'm not likely to lose the kicking leg any time soon ;)

1645125285353.png

figmentPez

Staff member
Cooler Screens _ advertisements replacing glass freezer doors.jpg

This monstrosity is from "Cooler Screens" a company that is replacing glass fridge/freezer doors in stores with giant displays that show advertising. When someone is standing in front of them, they show the items they're supposed to contain, when people are at a distance they show advertisement videos. Some shoppers absolutely hate it.

The CNN news segment has no shortage of people opening these doors to reveal empty shelves, which should not surprise anyone. Also, the products on the display don't always exactly match what's inside.

The spokesman for the company was spouting some bullshit about how how they wanted to bring the online experience to brick & mortar stores. WHY? Shopping online for groceries suuuuuuucks! It is an absolutely horrible experience, and nothing about it is better than shopping in a real store. There are a number of things it's easier to shop online for: video games, some computer parts, um.... maybe something else? But every time I've shopped for food or drink online I've wished that I could be in an actual store, and I fucking hate leaving the house.

This isn't better for customers, this is about selling ad space.

This fucking pisses me off, and any store that puts these in will immediately lose my business.

View attachment 40935

This monstrosity is from "Cooler Screens" a company that is replacing glass fridge/freezer doors in stores with giant displays that show advertising. When someone is standing in front of them, they show the items they're supposed to contain, when people are at a distance they show advertisement videos. Some shoppers absolutely hate it.

The CNN news segment has no shortage of people opening these doors to reveal empty shelves, which should not surprise anyone. Also, the products on the display don't always exactly match what's inside.

The spokesman for the company was spouting some bullshit about how how they wanted to bring the online experience to brick & mortar stores. WHY? Shopping online for groceries suuuuuuucks! It is an absolutely horrible experience, and nothing about it is better than shopping in a real store. There are a number of things it's easier to shop online for: video games, some computer parts, um.... maybe something else? But every time I've shopped for food or drink online I've wished that I could be in an actual store, and I fucking hate leaving the house.

This fucking pisses me off, and any store that puts these in will immediately lose my business.
One supermarket chain here in BE uses completely closed coffer freezers, since it uses less power and is better for the environment. I agree with them and don't mind, but opening a freezer to see the content doesn't match what's advertised sucks - they used to have ridiculous amounts of complaints about it. and have significantly increased staff checks to make sure they aren't empty or badly labelled. These fridges also don't show what's inside making it harder for staff t osee what needs replenishment, and it's, if anything, worse than just glass-front fridges/freezers for power consumption. Yeah, this is in no way good for consumers, staff, or service quality. It's about money pure and simple, and i would absolutely hate it too.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure that CEO is right when he says "this is the fuiture of shopping".

Which will mean I'll be more tempted to avoid such stores, which will cause declining figures, etc etc.
Dear brick and mortar stores, don't try to beat online stores at their game. It won'twork. If I want a thousand reviews and a choice between all 248 brands of whatever, I'll go search on line.
When I want to actually pick and choose for myself which apple I want to buy based on how good they look this week, I'll go to a store.

View attachment 40935

Calling it now, there's already ad execs planning to add automatic locks to these doors. Cameras attached to the doors watch you walk up & then refuse to unlock the door until you've watched an ad.

Calling it now, there's already ad execs planning to add automatic locks to these doors. Cameras attached to the doors watch you walk up & then refuse to unlock the door until you've watched an ad.
From the article itself:

"’The digital cooler screens at Walgreens made me watch an ad before it allowed me to know which door held the frozen pizzas,’ said someone on Twitter.”

The answer is to go with a bunch of rubber doorstops and just chock every freezer door open until they relent.
Ahh, my go to would be cutting power or data cables to the doors/screens so they turn back into good old regular dumb freezers, but yours might be more effective.

actually pick and choose for myself which apple I want to buy based on how good they look this week
This is the thing, right here. My wife has worked hard to make sure I know how gauge freshness, how to tell the difference between an "in a few days" avocado and a "OMG NOW NOW NOW" avocado, so that when she sends me to the store she knows exactly what she's going to get. There is no guarantee that gigworker35253 will exercise the same amount of care, much less even know how.

--Patrick

This is the thing, right here. My wife has worked hard to make sure I know how gauge freshness, how to tell the difference between an "in a few days" avocado and a "OMG NOW NOW NOW" avocado, so that when she sends me to the store she knows exactly what she's going to get. There is no guarantee that gigworker35253 will exercise the same amount of care, much less even know how.

--Patrick
As someone who manages a grocery store, we actually put a lot of training and quality checks into this. We live or die on customer satisfaction.

YOU do, sure. But I’m not as confident about the Shipt lady or whatever.

—Patrick
You mean warehouse workers who have to use pee bottles and eat while walking just to keep up with their alotted time tables for X amount of orders picked in Y time, won't have the time to calmly choose between 6 mangos, compare their ripeness, consider the travel distance and time, double check your order to see if they were intended for instant consumption or had to keep for a few more days, adn then choose exactly the right one for your case?!
WHAT NONSENSE. Corporate only has your best interests at heart!

It is an absolutely horrible experience, and nothing about it is better than shopping in a real store.
I would argue that not having to spend an hour or more wandering around a store with a kid who’s whining about being hungry or wanting to buy a toy is a better experience.

We’ve gotten used to grocery shopping online, but I do prefer going in to the store for a few things, like fruit/vegetables and some types of meat. It’s nice to be able to just add stuff to your cart when you know you need it, and then just check out when you’re ready.

Those screens are a shitty idea though.

figmentPez

Staff member
I would argue that not having to spend an hour or more wandering around a store with a kid who’s whining about being hungry or wanting to buy a toy is a better experience.

We’ve gotten used to grocery shopping online, but I do prefer going in to the store for a few things, like fruit/vegetables and some types of meat. It’s nice to be able to just add stuff to your cart when you know you need it, and then just check out when you’re ready.
I can see that there are advantages to online, due to the nature of online, but I also see that those things are never going to be something you can copy from online and bring to the store. Not having to deal with your kid is not something the store can copy from their online store and make available to you in person.

Consider online shopping from the point of someone who has recently had to start shopping with a food allergy in mind. Most products have incomplete incomplete ingredient information online. I have no way of checking to see what is safe for me to eat or not without having to search elsewhere on the web, and even then I'm not guaranteed current or accurate information about the version of the product being carried by the store. There is no possible way that I could safely do all of my grocery shopping online, not without being severely limited in what I can eat, or having to buy products just to read the labels.

Browsing for a new kind of chips for snacking when I'm in the store, in the aisle, take a few minutes. Searching through the listing of chips online means waiting for page after page after page to load, just to get through the listing of all the shit in the aisle.

Also, I'm a little prejudiced against online because it could be a better experience, but it isn't. Store websites are horribly designed. They don't take full advantage of being online, while also doing very little to mitigate the disadvantages of being online.