My son didn’t know what it was lol.

He also moaned one time that my mom was nice and let me have data on my iPhone as a kid. I laughed so hard he left the room.
You mean you didn't have a data plan on your discman? Walkman? Getto blaster? Fixed radio? Grammophone player? Live orchestra? Rocks being banged together?

... Oh, wait, you're not @Dave, sorry! I meant to say, of course, that you absolutely look like you'd've had an iPhone when you were 16.

You mean you didn't have a data plan on your discman? Walkman? Getto blaster? Fixed radio? Grammophone player? Live orchestra? Rocks being banged together?

... Oh, wait, you're not @Dave, sorry! I meant to say, of course, that you absolutely look like you'd've had an iPhone when you were 16.
Back in Dave's day, there were no data plans, there was only the datum plan.

--Patrick

Record player lol.

My kids just can’t fathom that there was life before iPhones or even cell phones of any kind.

A younger coworker didn’t recognize the Palm Pilot we found when getting ready to move offices.

GasBandit

Staff member
As far as ipads go, I have seen some use for them in the professional A/V world. I've made user interfaces for them that let clients control their massive AV setups. A 10 inch screen is nice for such things.

Of course, you could do the same thing with an android tablet, but hey, why pay less for superior tech, right?

And the usability of neither.
My dad got an iPad for no logical reason that I can fathom. He just wanted one. He would bring it with him to all sorts of events, mainly to take pictures with. Imagine an interesting event or sight, say the bride enter the venue at a wedding banquet, and everyone would have their phones or digital cameras out, and among them there my dad would be, holding up this tablet the size of a hardcover book, snapping away with it.

figmentPez

Staff member
With HDR screens becoming more common, are we going to reach a point where commercials are extra bright, the same way they tend to be extra loud currently?

*Maybe* it’s fine if you’re taking the correct preparation precautions, but I doubt everyone who eats this goes special to the butcher or whatever. I am not about to trust any regular ass American supermarket to not kill me with their raw hamburger

I like my steak rare, but I always get my burgers well done. Steak can be cooked rare, because most of the bacteria you're worried about is on the outside, and sears off. With ground meat, all that bad stuff is mixed all together and a pink burger means you're exposing yourself to potential illness in a way you won't have even with a blue rare steak

With ground meat, all that bad stuff is mixed all together
Not only that, but it's folded back into the mix to go have a little anaerobic party with all its relatives.
If you absolutely feel like you MUST do this, and you don't feel comfortable literally putting your life in your butcher's hands, then blot and grind a cut yourself just prior to consumption to minimize (though NOT eliminate) the risk.

--Patrick

It's a normal thing here in Germany. We call it "Mett" or "Hackepeter". Mettbrötchen are part of every German buffet.
Und dis ist eine reason fur dein tradition in der Wisconsin.

EDIT: Not bad, didn't butcher it too bad (other than not knowing "Grund" was the word for reason.

So I recently got a new hot female subordinate.

One of my hot male subordinates has apparently taken a liking to her, because he comes over to talk to her every day, when previously he was a proponent of the Ron Swanson "work with a guy for three years and never learn his name" school of colleague interaction. Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue for me, they're both adults so I don't care what goes on in their private lives, as long as it doesn't affect their work. However, as it turns out, it might affect their work. You see, hot female subordinate is here in Taiwan because her boyfriend is Taiwanese and lives here. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, then I doubt she'd want to stay in Taiwan just to continue working for us. Hot male subordinate is here in Taiwan on a temporary basis. He's never made any secret of that, he's basically just working for us to earn money to feed himself until he decides to move back to his home country. So if things continue as they are now, then there are several possible scenarios. Possibility one, she breaks up with her boyfriend but does not get together with hot male subordinate, and she leaves Taiwan. Possibility two, she breaks up with her boyfriend and gets together with hot male subordinate, and they leave Taiwan together. Possibility three, it all becomes a giant clusterfuck and she can't focus on her work, and her work quality suffers. Possibility four, the "bhamv finds you hot" curse strikes and she leaves the company for an entirely unrelated reason.

BUT WAIT THE PLOT THICKENS.

Over the weekend, I mentioned to my dad that there's this new member of my department, and that she's a foreigner who has a Taiwanese boyfriend. And my dad said, wow that's quite a coincidence, he has an old friend whose son recently came back to Taiwan, bringing his girlfriend with him. A quick comparison of notes later, it turns out my new hot female subordinate is actually the girlfriend of my dad's friend's son. Many chuckles were had about how it's such a small world, and then my dad's friend asked my dad to ask me to make sure I take good care of her. So if it turns out she breaks up with her boyfriend due to the actions of my hot male subordinate, all on my watch, things might get awkward between my dad and his old friend.

I know I enjoy drama, but right now I'm hoping no drama will happen.

So I recently got a new hot female subordinate.

One of my hot male subordinates has apparently taken a liking to her, because he comes over to talk to her every day, when previously he was a proponent of the Ron Swanson "work with a guy for three years and never learn his name" school of colleague interaction. Ordinarily this wouldn't be an issue for me, they're both adults so I don't care what goes on in their private lives, as long as it doesn't affect their work. However, as it turns out, it might affect their work. You see, hot female subordinate is here in Taiwan because her boyfriend is Taiwanese and lives here. If she ever breaks up with her boyfriend, then I doubt she'd want to stay in Taiwan just to continue working for us. Hot male subordinate is here in Taiwan on a temporary basis. He's never made any secret of that, he's basically just working for us to earn money to feed himself until he decides to move back to his home country. So if things continue as they are now, then there are several possible scenarios. Possibility one, she breaks up with her boyfriend but does not get together with hot male subordinate, and she leaves Taiwan. Possibility two, she breaks up with her boyfriend and gets together with hot male subordinate, and they leave Taiwan together. Possibility three, it all becomes a giant clusterfuck and she can't focus on her work, and her work quality suffers. Possibility four, the "bhamv finds you hot" curse strikes and she leaves the company for an entirely unrelated reason.

BUT WAIT THE PLOT THICKENS.

Over the weekend, I mentioned to my dad that there's this new member of my department, and that she's a foreigner who has a Taiwanese boyfriend. And my dad said, wow that's quite a coincidence, he has an old friend whose son recently came back to Taiwan, bringing his girlfriend with him. A quick comparison of notes later, it turns out my new hot female subordinate is actually the girlfriend of my dad's friend's son. Many chuckles were had about how it's such a small world, and then my dad's friend asked my dad to ask me to make sure I take good care of her. So if it turns out she breaks up with her boyfriend due to the actions of my hot male subordinate, all on my watch, things might get awkward between my dad and his old friend.

I know I enjoy drama, but right now I'm hoping no drama will happen.
Ok, minor followup to this, and I'm mildly ashamed that this possibility didn't occur to me until now, but I only just realized that hot female subordinate might not entirely welcome the attentions from hot male subordinate. I mean, she has a boyfriend who she's in a committed relationship with. Though I'm not entirely sure what to do now as their direct supervisor. Do I go, "well she's a big girl now and I'm sure she can take care of herself"? Or should I say something to one of them, or both of them?

If you were a hot female employee at a company and a colleague might be getting a bit too friendly, would you want your supervisor to ask you about it? Would you want your supervisor to handle it? Would you prefer he handle it without asking you about it? I'm a bit new to all this supervising.

Are there corporate rules against relations between colleagues?
If so, tell him he's to drop it and be careful.
If not, you're not really allowed to do much. Butting in would be meddling in things that don't involve you. Let her know that if she feels uncomfortable or harassed, there are clear options for her to follow (through whatever your corporation's system are, through supervisor or anonymous or whatever).

A) He's into her, she's into him, it's not against policy - who are you to interfere?
B) He's into her, she's into him, it's against policy - if or when something blossoms, tell them both clearly
C) He's into her, she's not into him - let her know there are official channels to report him if it's too much, otherwise, respect her privacy
D) He's not into her, she's not into him - you're misreading the situation and mistaking banter for flirting. Just ignore everything.
E) He's not into her, she's into him - not the case according to you. And if it does turn out this way, well, same as C.

Whether or not one of the mor both ends up leaving Taiwan because of relationship stuff is out of your hands, and not your place to interfere with, in my opinion.