15 year old me probably would have preferred that.
You can say that, but you would t enjoy living it. I typically kept myself fairly even in temperament, but one day had an asshole decide he wanted to pick on the kicker in football. I could usually deflect and have fun with stuff, but that day I had had enough. I snapped on the asshole. I threw him about 15 feet across the room into a cinder block wall, broke 4 blocks with him. He then tried the “you just surprised me” bs and came back at me and got to visit the other wall and decided that was enough. He never tried and crap with me ever again, and the only question ever asked of me was “Are you okay?” by one of the coaches. Last I knew, they never fixed that wall.

Binging S3 of Sex Education this weekend my brain scrambled Emma Thompson and Gilian Anderson!
My should joint is inflamed, but the painkillers weren't that strong...
It's forgiven because you're watching Sex Education. Also, I still can't get used to Gillian Anderson with that accent.

Per the awesome video post, TIL guitars aren't vegan. This amuses me and will infuriate others. Which amuses me even more.
It depends. Most guitars aren't going to be built with hide glue and shellac. Bone nuts are fairly common, but not universal.

Oh, forgot about the inlays. Mother of pearl and abalone are common, but again, not universal.

Last edited:
We did a tourism-related translation. Specifically, it's about a type of tree that blooms in Taiwan in the autumn, producing many small yellow flowers that float down when the wind blows. In Chinese this is referred to as a golden rain, and I accordingly translated it into English as "golden rain".

And, of course, the client decides to change it to golden shower.

I'm tempted to let them just keep it like that, for having the temerity to edit my translation.

We did a tourism-related translation. Specifically, it's about a type of tree that blooms in Taiwan in the autumn, producing many small yellow flowers that float down when the wind blows. In Chinese this is referred to as a golden rain, and I accordingly translated it into English as "golden rain".

And, of course, the client decides to change it to golden shower.

I'm tempted to let them just keep it like that, for having the temerity to edit my translation.

So, quick followup, the person at the client end who made the edit was one of their higher-ups, so when we told the client's contact person that "golden shower" was not appropriate, and the contact person passed it up the chain, apparently the response was, "Please ask the translation company to explain exactly why this term can't be used."

So it seems the contact person is now telling us, in what I'd like to imagine is a very apologetic tone, that their company higher-up wants us to write up a quick overview of the term "golden shower" and why they shouldn't use it in their very public-facing text. Which means I get to write it. Which means the IT department's going to see some rather odd entries in my search history.

So, quick followup, the person at the client end who made the edit was one of their higher-ups, so when we told the client's contact person that "golden shower" was not appropriate, and the contact person passed it up the chain, apparently the response was, "Please ask the translation company to explain exactly why this term can't be used."

So it seems the contact person is now telling us, in what I'd like to imagine is a very apologetic tone, that their company higher-up wants us to write up a quick overview of the term "golden shower" and why they shouldn't use it in their very public-facing text. Which means I get to write it. Which means the IT department's going to see some rather odd entries in my search history.
Be thorough. VERY thorough. ;)

Oh I intend to write a thorough report. It's going to go through the historical background of the practice, the etymological origins of the term, the logistics before/during/after, etc. There will be charts and graphs and illustrations and screenshots. I intend to have a "references" section that's at least two pages long. This is going to be an academically rigorous work, one that would be worthy of publication in... y'know... certain periodicals.

Now I've never done drugs in my life, but I can not for the life of me figure out why I have a book of German poetry from 1954 with two poems book marked by a picture of my two year old daughter in a butterfly costume and one of Gina Carano.