Yup. One month in Belize (we would have loved to stay longer but the visa requirements were restrictive), 3 months in Barbados (1 month would have been plenty), Christmas in the U.S., and then 3 months in Brisbane followed by 3 months in New Zealand. Except for COVID struck while we were in Brisbane and NZ locked down. We had sold our house before leaving the U.S. and everything went remote when my sabbatical ended anyways, so we stuck around another year. We never made it to NZ, but living in Brisbane for 18 months was great!
I remember you being stuck down under. I missed Belize and Barbados stunts. Sounds pretty great!

I am so old that I don't know what you're talking about. :Leyla:
: Pokémon can only say one thing, their name.
: Gas hears Zoomers saying “LET'S GOOOO” and very little else.
:: Gas is therefore suggesting that he may be going deaf since that is the only thing he hears them say, perhaps they are actually Pokémon.

—Patrick

So, after living here a while, I had an arborist come out and look at some of my trees. The oak in the backyard, while currently alive, is in bad shape. So I have guys out today cutting it down. I asked them to leave a knee-high stump, which I plan on inoculating with shiitake spores. Which just so happened to have arrived on Friday.

So, hopefully, in about 9-10 months, it'll look a little like this
1683832730137.png

Dave

Staff member
I've taken my email address out of the contact us link. right now you try and send an email it'll probably throw up an error somewhere but I don't give a fuck. Some dipshit from Russia was spamming it today. I had like 20 messages from them when I woke up.

edit: Just taking out my email does nothing. I'm going to have to nuke the link.

edit 2: I've reverted everything back. There's an addon I might just try out for this very thing. So yay! I get to play around with the code again! (Nobody wants that.)

Last edited:
So, after living here a while, I had an arborist come out and look at some of my trees. The oak in the backyard, while currently alive, is in bad shape. So I have guys out today cutting it down. I asked them to leave a knee-high stump, which I plan on inoculating with shiitake spores. Which just so happened to have arrived on Friday.

So, hopefully, in about 9-10 months, it'll look a little like this
View attachment 45100
I've always assumed they would need a decent amount of moisture. Is that going to be an issue? I know folks around here cultivate them on downed trees trunk segments.
Post automatically merged:

It should work because you're such a fun guy!! :awesome:

GasBandit

Staff member
I've always assumed they would need a decent amount of moisture. Is that going to be an issue? I know folks around here cultivate them on downed trees trunk segments.

In East TX, moisture is usually not a problem, so long as we're not in a historic drought (which seems to happen every 7 years or so).

I think the greater risk is local wildlife beating you to the nibbles.

It's advised that if rain doesn't take care of it for you, you water the area around logs/stump once a week to once a month. Even though stuff is dead, the capillary action of the wood grain will still draw up enough moisture for the fungus to get what it needs.

In East TX, moisture is usually not a problem, so long as we're not in a historic drought (which seems to happen every 7 years or so).

I think the greater risk is local wildlife beating you to the nibbles.
I've already started looking at little garden tent netting

I remember that video. Aviation enthusiasts immediately commented how it looked like he intentionally crashed due to various tells. They also said he was probably gonna get reamed by the Feds due to FAA or whatever jurisdiction. Lol hope it was worth the views.

So Youtube has begun fighting adblockers. I have Youtube premium so I don't worry about it anymore but I was still having issues being able to even look in the subscription tab. Apparently the anti-shorts extension in firefox I installed is a no-no too.

Fuck,

GasBandit

Staff member
So Youtube has begun fighting adblockers. I have Youtube premium so I don't worry about it anymore but I was still having issues being able to even look in the subscription tab. Apparently the anti-shorts extension in firefox I installed is a no-no too.

Fuck,
Hmm, That's odd. I haven't noticed any problems using uBlock origin.

I wouldn't mind youtube ads if they were a somewhat reasonable level. Like, twitch making you watch 30-60 seconds of ads every half hour is whatever. Youtube makes you watch that many ads for a 4 minute video.

figmentPez

Staff member
They're frequent, repetitive, and if you don't hit the skip button they show you another ad. Like, damn YouTube, just let me sit back and watch.

if you don't hit the skip button they show you another ad
Not only that, but the additional ad is frequently non-skippable! What's up with that? You were going to let me skip the previous one, but now suddenly you're all, "Oh no. Now you're stuck and have to watch this one. You probably fell asleep in your Lay-Z-Boy anyway so we're just going to go ahead and soak up all that fat ad revenue."

--Patrick

There are now ads that are long enough to be their own YouTube videos. Several minutes from 2 to 20 minutes or even longer.

Google is about to prune millions and millions of videos from Youtube.

Any account inactive for 2 years is being deleted.

RIP Joseph Anderson's channel before his Witcher 3 video is ever completed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm on site at a certain community college today, and naturally there's digital signage all over the place... and I would bet money that one of the models in the most prominent signage is actually adult actress Jane Rogers and I can't tell anybody but you guys that I know who that is and recognize her on sight.

Google is about to prune millions and millions of videos from Youtube.

Any account inactive for 2 years is being deleted.

RIP Joseph Anderson's channel before his Witcher 3 video is ever completed.

It did sound like they’d be shooting themselves in the foot, voluntarily deleting videos that might be earning them ad revenue.

—Patrick