Alix's 2-year old son has entered the "mine!" stage. I visited them on my way back from the comic store yesterday. He was completely enthralled with my bike and kept walking around it, looking it up and down. And my helmet, which we let him wear once.

But when I was getting ready to go, he wanted to play with it again. When Alix said it was my helmet and I needed it, he started freaking out, saying "Mine! Mama, miiiiiine!" and throwing a tantrum to the point she had to bring him in the house.

fade

Staff member
Every time you guys complain about money, I feel really guilty about my income... Then again, I have no more disposable income than when I was much less well off, because most of it goes to housing in this stupidly expensive neighborhood someone insists we live in. Hint: it ain't me. Too many watermelon pizza types here.

Are webcomics on a downward trend in popularity? I haven't read one in months. I occasionally check XKCD and PhDcomics, but it's quite rare. It sounds like you all aren't reading them either.

GasBandit

Staff member
Are webcomics on a downward trend in popularity? I haven't read one in months. I occasionally check XKCD and PhDcomics, but it's quite rare. It sounds like you all aren't reading them either.
I've got about 70 webcomic RSS feeds in my Feedly, but they don't all update any more, I think. There are still some good ones... Dungeon Grind, Supervillainous, Awkward Zombie, Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, Sandra and Woo, Darths and Droids..... Goblins has started updating semi-regularly again, and then there's a couple NSFW ones like Oglaf and Menage a 3. I used to really like SMBC, and it's still updating frequently, but you can only hear the same joke told by the same sociopaths in opaque glasses so many times before it starts to grate, you know?

Every time you guys complain about money, I feel really guilty about my income... Then again, I have no more disposable income than when I was much less well off, because most of it goes to housing in this stupidly expensive neighborhood someone insists we live in. Hint: it ain't me. Too many watermelon pizza types here.
Don't feel guilty bro. Did you earn those letters after your name or did someone gift them to you?

Every time you guys complain about money, I feel really guilty about my income.
I'm sure you've earned it.
Every time you (or @Adam, or others) post about your income, I feel guilty that I'm not working at improving things. With a little hard work (and some self-marketing), I could probably easily triple or even quadruple my current income within three years, but that would probably require sacrificing my family and my somewhat easygoing lifestyle, and I'm not sure I would enjoy doing that. I know I've mentioned this before, but I have a friend who has a significantly more than modest income (he recently bought a high-end Mustang GT "just because") but no family, and this bothers him greatly, so which of us is happier? The one with money, or the one with family?

--Patrick

As a guy working a ok job close to home with a terminally ill parent who had a chance for a job that paid in spades but would mean not being home except for the end of watch for said parent. Win goes to pat.

fade

Staff member
I'm sure you've earned it.
Every time you (or @Adam, or others) post about your income, I feel guilty that I'm not working at improving things. With a little hard work (and some self-marketing), I could probably easily triple or even quadruple my current income within three years, but that would probably require sacrificing my family and my somewhat easygoing lifestyle, and I'm not sure I would enjoy doing that. I know I've mentioned this before, but I have a friend who has a significantly more than modest income (he recently bought a high-end Mustang GT "just because") but no family, and this bothers him greatly, so which of us is happier? The one with money, or the one with family?

--Patrick
To be completely balanced, I had the opposite experience. When I left academia, I tripled my salary and gained a lot more family time. What it cost me was ego, which I admit was a hard price to pay. I went from being a badass with minions to a cog. The problem with being a prof is that you're R&D, sales, PR, and CFO all in one. All while trying to teach on the side.

fade

Staff member
Isn't it weird how on the internet everyone (including me) seems to think that no girl or woman is guilty of self-degrading sexualized posts? We always immediately say it's some 14 year old boy who found a photo and did something with it. Stupid people seem to come in a healthy mix of genders, though.

Isn't it weird how on the internet everyone (including me) seems to think that no girl or woman is guilty of self-degrading sexualized posts? We always immediately say it's some 14 year old boy who found a photo and did something with it. Stupid people seem to come in a healthy mix of genders, though.
I would've assumed the boy was late teens/early 20's.

--Patrick

I disagree, but I think it's the tone of the writing. Women can (and certainly do) make those kind of post, but the verbiage tends to be different. That's usually the give away. EDIT: or the post doesn't match the theme of the photo.

Belgium's taking Facebook to court over their violation of privacy - most notably, gathering information on people without consent - and legal crap - that is, Facebook claims it only has to subject to Irish law in all of the EU, while Belgium claims it also needs to adhere to all local laws because it otherwise has an unfair advantage over local companies.

The first is utterly unimportant - at most you'll get a "please accept cookies" type check to click on for a lot of websites.
The second, though, can be important as a precedent. practically all data gathering companies and big IT companies have departments in Ireland for this exact reason (and their low taxes) - Google, MS, Facebook, etc. We'll see.

http://qz.com/428162/belgium-is-taking-facebook-to-court/

"I saw a great deal on paracord at 102 surplus and I am thinking about buying a significant amount."

"How much is a significant amount?"

"Several hundred foot bundles and if it's still there a 1000 foot coil."

"How much does it cost?"

"15 cents a foot."

"You want to spend 15 thousand dollars on rope!!!!"

"I saw a great deal on paracord at 102 surplus and I am thinking about buying a significant amount."

"How much does it cost?"

"15 cents a foot."

GasBandit

Staff member

"How much does it cost?"

"15 cents a foot."

... I assume math class was to follow?

God I would kill for some rain out here in SoCal. We managed to get lucky this year and keep the 70 and below days up until the end of May, but June came out swinging and it's all downhill from here.

It rained most of the day here. But once it looked like we were going to get trained by 1000 miles of rain that trails off into the gulf... then POOF! clear sky for several more hours.

God I would kill for some rain out here in SoCal. We managed to get lucky this year and keep the 70 and below days up until the end of May, but June came out swinging and it's all downhill from here.
Yeah I know, went to Disneyland and had to buy a freaking hoodie to be comfy at night in the park. I think the highest temp while we were there was around 71f.

Cajungal

Staff member
I got a message from my sister in law saying she missed me and we should hang out. Made me realize how seldom I miss people. There are a select few that I truly miss and then there are a bunch of people I could take or leave, and it's too tiring to pretend that my life is less without them. I feel like a monster sometimes.

I got a message from my sister in law saying she missed me and we should hang out. Made me realize how seldom I miss people. There are a select few that I truly miss and then there are a bunch of people I could take or leave, and it's too tiring to pretend that my life is less without them. I feel like a monster sometimes.
The amount of people you really *mis* when they're gone is pretty small for everyone, I think. Maybe 2 or 3 best friends? For the rest I have a lot of people where "oh yeah,whatever happened to him?" is pretty much the base level of care :p

Especially now that we have social networking, so if I'm wondering "Oh what happened to that guy?" I can just go on Facebook and check his profile, and see that he's recently quit his job as a banker to start his own company making 3D-printed anime figurines, and that he divorced his wife eighteen months ago but is now dating a woman twice his age, and they're going to try for a baby soon, and he lost most of his stuff in a house fire last year, but now he's embarked on a Zen Buddhist philosophy of letting go of worldly possessions, so it all worked out in the end.

So I guess he's fine, huh.