In their defense, this is Taiwan, so most people probably aren't familiar with the connotations of that phrase.

In their offense, drink shops do tend to go out of business quite quickly around here, I'd imagine it's because margins tend to be rather thin, so if the shop has a bad week or month you could easily go into the red.
AH-doomed to fail in a DIFFERENT way. Honestly its hard to find a new business...ANYWHERE that isn't doomed to fail in some way or another.

When I look at a blood moon, I see a moon with a slight orange tint, I never see these bright red moons other pictures have. Is it the thinner atmosphere at a mile above sea level or what?
I can't comment about the atmosphere. I am terrible when it comes to that. I love astrophotography - I just don't know a whole lot about the Astro side of it. Just the Photo side :) I don't know the image that you're referring to, but most of those pictures have the benefit of significant Photoshopping, mounted photography, stacking or all of the above.

It's the same with pictures of the Milky Way or Northern Lights. My last unedited single base image of the Milky Way is pretty sad in comparison to the final version.

"Here's a story I love telling about Jack Kirby."

"HEY, YOU LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA, RIGHT? THAT MEANS YOU LOVE THE AMERICAN MILITARY AND IT CAN NEVER BE WRONG!"

"No? Can...can we go back to Jack Kirby stories now?"

Captain America.jpg[DOUBLEPOST=1517589796,1517589295][/DOUBLEPOST]On the other hand, I never get tired of telling or hearing Jack Kirby stories.

He sounds so proud of himself though.

I cheated my diet today to eat spicy stuff to help ease sinus issues, only to discover they gave me the wrong order and I ate that crap for nothing. So now I have to exercise again tonight to work it off and hopefully the punishment of that will stop me from doing it again. If I can be taught..

I understand why this stuff is so easy to do at the beginning, but the long haul takes willpower. One week down, eleven to go.

"Here's a story I love telling about Jack Kirby."

"HEY, YOU LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA, RIGHT? THAT MEANS YOU LOVE THE AMERICAN MILITARY AND IT CAN NEVER BE WRONG!"

"No? Can...can we go back to Jack Kirby stories now?"

View attachment 26639[DOUBLEPOST=1517589796,1517589295][/DOUBLEPOST]On the other hand, I never get tired of telling or hearing Jack Kirby stories.
Support Captain America means you love the military? Has this guy even seen a movie?
SMHwar.jpg

Wait, not to harp on this, but isn't Captain America always been a "middle finger" at the military? Think about it: he was created to retaliate against Hitler when the U.S. refused to take action. Most of his comic and cinematic appearances have him breaking military rules when he sees fit. He may have been created to be a "super soldier", but he's more of a boy scout than a conformist.

IIRC he was very much pro-military until watergate when he became more "I support what America should be, not necessarily what it is."

In my view, he’s always been the ideal, even when the ideal was unpopular. In his person, in his actions, in his opinions, in everything. He has always been the representation of the absolute best of humanity, and he always did the right thing, even when it was illegal.

—Patrick

Wait, not to harp on this, but isn't Captain America always been a "middle finger" at the military? Think about it: he was created to retaliate against Hitler when the U.S. refused to take action. Most of his comic and cinematic appearances have him breaking military rules when he sees fit. He may have been created to be a "super soldier", but he's more of a boy scout than a conformist.
Absolutely. America hadn't joined the war at that point, so he was very much a commentary on that fact. His stories are often about clashing with the government or military.

Hell, he's not even the creation of American science, but of a German defector.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Maybe while looking for a new house you should also look for a new job. :p
Actually, occasional gripes aside, I've got less to complain about my job these days, after I extorted that big raise out of them a couple years ago by threatening to quit.

I just hope we find another one who's as good as our current one, and not another one anything at all like the 3 previous to her. This one was actually smart, hard working, and a reasonable/stable person. Can't say all of those about any particular one of her predecessors.

Also, she was kinda cute, for a non-redhead.

Last edited:
Absolutely. America hadn't joined the war at that point, so he was very much a commentary on that fact. His stories are often about clashing with the government or military.

Hell, he's not even the creation of American science, but of a German defector.
If I had Twitter, I feel like I want to tweet that guy, "Do you even Captain America, bro?".

GasBandit

Staff member
New commercial received that says "Lincolns are for lovers!" (as in, the car). I joked to the salesperson who turned it in, "Heh, think Virginia will sue them?" She didn't get it. Grumble grumble.

In my view, he’s always been the ideal, even when the ideal was unpopular. In his person, in his actions, in his opinions, in everything. He has always been the representation of the absolute best of humanity, and he always did the right thing, even when it was illegal.

—Patrick