Whenever some one asks to be passed the salt and pepper, I always sing that Salt an Peppa's Here. And I ain't never backing down from that! Never!

Dave

Staff member
My wife wants a kindle for christmas. Upon looking them up on Amazon, it turns out theres a $100 version and an "ad-free" version for $120. Everything is fucked.
I don’t understand why kindles are still a thing. An iPad can do the same thing and much more but a kindle only reads books and even then they USED to only do proprietary formats.

I've actually been thinking about getting a Kindle or something similar. I like the idea of a low power, easy on the eyes, dedicated reading device. In this context, I don't necessarily want a tablet that can do more, because it's an avenue for distraction.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don’t understand why kindles are still a thing. An iPad can do the same thing and much more but a kindle only reads books and even then they USED to only do proprietary formats.
Because there's a big difference between reading off an eink screen and an LCD/OLED.

Dave

Staff member
Because there's a big difference between reading off an eink screen and an LCD/OLED.
I’ve used both and the right ereader is just as good. I get that overall the kindle will be better but it’s a matter of usability to me. The kindle just doesn’t DO anything else.

The Paperwhite screen is a pleasure to read off of and really doesn’t have any type of glare on it. I have one, it’s super light, just slightly bigger than a real paperback and less than half the weight. I charge it once every 2-3 weeks. Gotta remember that their iPad equivalent, Kindle Fire series, is still branded Kindle but is full color and has apps and all that.

figmentPez

Staff member
I’ve used both and the right ereader is just as good.
I strongly disagree. The difference isn't even close for me, and I suspect that's true for a lot of other people, and that's one of the reasons why eink devices remain popular.

My camera can only take pictures (and movies) but it's still vastly superior at that job compared to my phone. Same for a Kindle; I don't have one (my books! My lovely books!) but whenever I consider going digital for reading (for ease of use and traveling etc) I always think about an ereader. I would never switch to reading on an OLED/LCD/light screen. I already stare at screens for 10+ hours aday, my eyes can only take so much.

I get public transport to & from work. A kindle is ideal for this - much lighter & more convenient than physical books, or a full blown iPad, and no it doesn't come with apps, or a web browser or anything like that but I neither need nor want that.

I just want something to read on the bus that fits in my pocket when I reach my stop.

Hey iRobot OS, your Youtube ads are so fucking annoying that I actively will not show people stuff on Youtube outside of a situation where adblock isn't available on the very, very real (nearly 100%) chance that I will have to endure the ad where a man is shrieking in the shower while the fucking idiot elves who live in your vacuum scream at each other. It's legitimately my least favourite ad in years and it plays before EVERY SINGLE FUCKING VIDEO ON YOUTUBE.

I hate this shrieking ad with all my heart. It's always 25 decibels louder than the video I'm watching and it's just wall to wall screaming for 15 seconds.

How people use Youtube without blocking ads is beyond me.

My son got himself a bowl before realizing that we are out of the cereal he likes AND also out of milk, so now all he has is just the bowl.
Son (whose voice is breaking): "Mee-owl" (trying to say "milk" but switching to "bowl" partway through because he is "hallucinating from hunger*")
Me, being me: "'Mayo?' Are you saying you want a bowl of cereal with mayo instead of milk? (to wife) Can you even do that?"
Wife, with face twisted into expression of utter disgust: "NnnNnnooooo, in fact if you tried it, I bet the gods of breakfast would come smite you or something."
Me: "If the gods of breakfast smite you for putting mayo on cereal, would that be a 'miracle whip?'"
Wife: GET OUT OF HERE I HATE YOU

--Patrick
*these were his words, not mine.

Hey iRobot OS, your Youtube ads are so fucking annoying that I actively will not show people stuff on Youtube outside of a situation where adblock isn't available on the very, very real (nearly 100%) chance that I will have to endure the ad where a man is shrieking in the shower while the fucking idiot elves who live in your vacuum scream at each other. It's legitimately my least favourite ad in years and it plays before EVERY SINGLE FUCKING VIDEO ON YOUTUBE.

I hate this shrieking ad with all my heart. It's always 25 decibels louder than the video I'm watching and it's just wall to wall screaming for 15 seconds.

How people use Youtube without blocking ads is beyond me.
My wife loves watching stuff on Youtube, I asked her about this video, she said she hasn't seen it. Guessing it hits somewhere in the algorithm with what you like.

Dave

Staff member
I guess I haven’t used a kindle in some time. My opinions may be clouded by the ghost of kindles past.

My wife loves watching stuff on Youtube, I asked her about this video, she said she hasn't seen it. Guessing it hits somewhere in the algorithm with what you like.
I pretty much only get ads for dating and gaming, so I'm inclined to agree that something in Frank's life is making Google think he needs a robot vacuum.

It's not just me, my brother has complained about and so have two friends. I think it's the advertising the Edmonton area gets on Google.

There is definitely regional demographic targeting. I am constantly getting ads for things like “Click here to get your free ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ hat” and those silver coins with Trump’s face on them.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
My top subs are a complete surprise for me. I have 13 hours on /r/EvilDeadTheGame.

I've never played it.