I've been flinging myself out of bed lately. I'm either sitting up or standing up in my sleep and I wake up as I'm falling to the floor.

Not sure what that's about, can't wait to break my skull open on the corner of something.
By chance, have you seen any Egyptian gods out of the corner of your eye?

Grabbed two pizzas for dinner, props to the OG Greta.

Now time for Netflix and Knitting.

Gonna try an finish the Wednesday series before my daughter spoils it.

Dave

Staff member
See if you guys are thinking the way I'm thinking.

We rent a duplex and share a back yard with another couple with their two dogs. Their lease was up in December so they contacted the landlord...who said he wanted them to go month to month. Our lease is up in April. We are wondering if he's going to do the same to us.

I have ideas about what is going on. I want to see if your ideas are the same. What do YOU think is happening?

GasBandit

Staff member
He's obviously trying to get rid of tenants. For what purpose, I couldn't begin to say - there's too many options and not enough info. Might have someone else lined up to move in, might want to sell, might want to move HIMSELF in... all that matters is I'm 90% certain he will also want you to go month to month so he can start "incentivizing" you all to find somewhere else to leave ASAP, and when subtlety fails (if he tries it at all) he can just use a flimsy pretext to evict you (with 30 days notice) since you don't really have a long term lease.

Dave

Staff member
He's obviously trying to get rid of tenants. For what purpose, I couldn't begin to say - there's too many options and not enough info. Might have someone else lined up to move in, might want to sell, might want to move HIMSELF in... all that matters is I'm 90% certain he will also want you to go month to month so he can start "incentivizing" you all to find somewhere else to leave ASAP, and when subtlety fails (if he tries it at all) he can just use a flimsy pretext to evict you since you don't really have a lease.
Same thing I thought. He wants THEM to go month to month so that when ours is up he can tell us all we have a month to vacate.

And I have no fucking clue where we'd go.

Dave

Staff member
Well I spoke with the landlord and he said we're fine. And he sounded sincere. He said the reason he did it is because of tax reasons. So when we hit ours it'll go month to month as well. He SAYS that we're fine and we don't need to look anywhere else. But this leaves him the ability to raise our rent monthly if he wants. So we'll stay but we're going to keep looking. I just don't trust the situation but he's been a straight shooter who gets shit fixed for the last three or four years so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, when I shot him a text he called me immediately to talk to me, which I respect.

Well I spoke with the landlord and he said we're fine. And he sounded sincere. He said the reason he did it is because of tax reasons. So when we hit ours it'll go month to month as well. He SAYS that we're fine and we don't need to look anywhere else. But this leaves him the ability to raise our rent monthly if he wants. So we'll stay but we're going to keep looking. I just don't trust the situation but he's been a straight shooter who gets shit fixed for the last three or four years so I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, when I shot him a text he called me immediately to talk to me, which I respect.
Whatever he is plotting, by very definition, is going to be at your expense.

I don't have any reason to question his motives, but I feel like you should work to prepare your family and your belongings in order to be ready to move in less than 30 days' time. Because it WILL be coming. Month-to-month may not mean anything from him, but it also means that anyone who might take over the business from him will not be required to abide by any agreement(s) you made with him longer than at most 30 days.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Strangest thing. 3 times today, I've gotten e-mails (legit from what I can tell) from QT Kitchens. Seems somebody in Austin named "Gabrielle" got the QuikTrip app and loves using it to buy veggie scrambles with extra crispy jalepenos, but for some reason gave the app my e-mail address. I don't know anybody by that name, anywhere - and I don't know anybody who lives in Austin (anymore).

Somebody needs more variety in their diet, though. I said as if that wasn't the pot calling the kettle black.

... That's strange to you? I get mails from garages, requests for calligraphy, reminders from church and for picking up the kids, etc almost daily for a Rachel, a Rick, a Richard, and a Rose (with my last name). People suck at writing their own email address.