GasBandit

Staff member
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is a 100% American isekai book series. Only with a much more detestable main character than your typical anime protag.
It's also very common for people to point out "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" as classic isekai literature.

GasBandit

Staff member
So isrkai is nothing more than the Japanese word for an overused trope. :)
Oh buddy, be glad you don't know. It is so ubiquitous that not only is it a word for a trope that was overused prior to its current use, but it has become so common that the articles talking about how overused the current interpretation of the already previously overused trope is are, themselves, becoming a veritable cacophonous din of overuse. It's like... 3 layers deep of beaten to death.

And they keep making more of them with no signs of slowing down.

Also The Wizard of Oz, The NeverEnding Story, Tron. Actually, would Superman count as isekai from a Kryptonian viewpoint?
Quite a large amount of F/SF falls into that category, too. Foster's Spellsinger, Norton's Quag Keep, Brooks' Magic Kingdom, Stasheff's Warlock, just to name a handful.

--Patrick

A few months ago I went to the hospital with a stomach issue. I was pretty sure it was a big but I couldn’t eat or drink anything and needed fluids from IV. I got them and was fine.

I got the bill a week ago. $35. Not bad. But I decided to look at the actual pre-insurance bill:

$975

A year ago before I got on my wife’s insurance, my trash plan would’ve made me pay all of that. I will never go back to high-deductible again.

GasBandit

Staff member
A few months ago I went to the hospital with a stomach issue. I was pretty sure it was a big but I couldn’t eat or drink anything and needed fluids from IV. I got them and was fine.

I got the bill a week ago. $35. Not bad. But I decided to look at the actual pre-insurance bill:

$975

A year ago before I got on my wife’s insurance, my trash plan would’ve made me pay all of that. I will never go back to high-deductible again.
What's the premium on your wife's coverage plan?

Dave

Staff member
At work today I found an uneven grating. As me how I found it. That’s right, carrying a big fucking hose and I tripped on it. Normally that wouldn’t be bad but it was about a foot from a railing, which I caught - barely. Had I missed my grab I’d have fallen about 20 feet to a concrete floor. Headfirst. So I’m sitting here waiting for the adrenaline to ebb and I can continue working.

GasBandit

Staff member
At work today I found an uneven grating. As me how I found it. That’s right, carrying a big fucking hose and I tripped on it. Normally that wouldn’t be bad but it was about a foot from a railing, which I caught - barely. Had I missed my grab I’d have fallen about 20 feet to a concrete floor. Headfirst. So I’m sitting here waiting for the adrenaline to ebb and I can continue working.
1682020621846.png

Do you work on the Death Star?

Dave

Staff member
It's Friday night. Monday I transition between day shift and night shift. That means that by the end of this weekend I need to be sleepy during the day and wakey during the night. Normally this is easy but for some reason tonight is difficult. I have a bunch of games I could be playing but none of them interest me right now. I could write but I don't have the drive. I could watch something - a movie or a show - but I hate to just sit and binge anything. So here I am with all the time & media in the world and I'm just bored out of my skull.

It's 11.

1682136153402.png

GasBandit

Staff member
It's Friday night. Monday I transition between day shift and night shift. That means that by the end of this weekend I need to be sleepy during the day and wakey during the night. Normally this is easy but for some reason tonight is difficult. I have a bunch of games I could be playing but none of them interest me right now. I could write but I don't have the drive. I could watch something - a movie or a show - but I hate to just sit and binge anything. So here I am with all the time & media in the world and I'm just bored out of my skull.

It's 11.

View attachment 44682
I have to admit I have been feeling kind of similar of late. I have a million things to watch, play, do... but most nights I end up just sitting here on autopilot, maybe shitposting memes. I got things going on that I don't really feel comfortable talking about in an open forum and they just sap my enjoyment of everything.

Dave

Staff member
I have to admit I have been feeling kind of similar of late. I have a million things to watch, play, do... but most nights I end up just sitting here on autopilot, maybe shitposting memes. I got things going on that I don't really feel comfortable talking about in an open forum and they just sap my enjoyment of everything.
I completely understand.