[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Trailer looks good, still not sold on Pratt as Mario.
I was expecting Koopa to be more on the "fuzzy" Jack Black side for the comedy of it. They appear to be taking him a lot more serious here and I'm fine with that. Even a little intrigued. There isn't enough of Mario for me to make any real calls on Chris Pratt voicing him.

I really have no stake in the Mario (none of us do, c'mon) but man, all the impressionists mocking the voice thing are wonderful.

Mama Miaaaaaggfhghgh

Okay everyone is going on about Mario - a movie that I give 0 shits about - and they are passing over this. This looks amazing.
While I do agree with you about this movie, Mario has been a pop-culture icon for 40 years, give-or -take. A significant portion of internet posters have never known a Mario-less world, and Nintendo has been pretty synonymous with childhood for about the same length of time, sooooo... yeah, people are going to have opinions.

minds.png

Wow.
Wow to the combination, the premise, the whole thing.
SO much potential. I want this to work. I even want the inevitable fics to work.

--Patrick

Let's see, a movie about a fun joyful adventure to relife a childhood I may not actually ever had or a movie about crippling depression after someones death?

Man, that's a tough joice. Especially since both will probably leave me depressed after watching for more or less the same reason.

Dave

Staff member
While I do agree with you about this movie, Mario has been a pop-culture icon for 40 years, give-or -take. A significant portion of internet posters have never known a Mario-less world, and Nintendo has been pretty synonymous with childhood for about the same length of time, sooooo... yeah, people are going to have opinions.
I guess I've just never understood why a one-note video game character would make an interesting protagonist in a movie. And Chris Pratt? Please. This movie couldn't suck more unless Bob Hoskins was in it.

GasBandit

Staff member
I guess I've just never understood why a one-note video game character would make an interesting protagonist in a movie. And Chris Pratt? Please. This movie couldn't suck more unless Bob Hoskins was in it.
As amusing as it would be to make John Leguizamo fling Hoskins' corpse around for 2 hours "Weekend at Bernie's" style...

I still have a hard time hearing Jack Black in Bowser's voice.
Or maybe it's just that Chris' voice is that much more obvious, I don't know.

--Patrick

I'm not sure how people think that Charles Martinet's classic Mario voice wouldn't get annoying after 5 minutes.

I'm not sure how people think that Charles Martinet's classic Mario voice wouldn't get annoying after 5 minutes.
I honestly think the real issue is Charles Martinet's been Mario for years and was pushed aside because he wasn't famous enough. Like... this is a huge paycheck and he could have used it, while Chris Pratt kinda doesn't need it?

Martinet would be too much for a 90-minute movie though I think he could easily tone it down, he was also Paarthurnax from Skyrim for reference.

But what I don't want is Emmett from The Lego Movies barely affecting a Brooklyn accent.

But what I don't want is Emmett from The Lego Movies barely affecting a Brooklyn accent.
At that point, you might as well hire Pauly D from Jersey Shore to voice Mario. But please don't. I don't want to hear Mario chanting "GTL!" or "The cabs Koopas are HEAAAAAAH!", or "I'm gonna smush Peach so hard...!".

I'm lying. I do want these things. SO. MUCH.

I honestly think the real issue is Charles Martinet's been Mario for years and was pushed aside because he wasn't famous enough. Like... this is a huge paycheck and he could have used it, while Chris Pratt kinda doesn't need it?
That's pretty common though. Animated films always want a name-star. And to be fair that works out more often than not for them in performance and character. In fact the only casting snub I've ever been heavily upset about recently is Matthew Lilliard being replaced by Will Forte in the Scoob movie.
Charles Martinet has a very video-game appropriate voice for Mario. Though for a movie I think it would be a bit much.
Obviously he's not the first person to play the role. Lou Albano will probably be the most famous face to play him. Various other voice artists over the years. And if you really want to deep cut it you could argue that Marc Graue deserves the role more so than anyone because he was the very first voice of Mario in a video game (Hotel Mario). You wouldn't WANT him to, but again if we are going by who originated the roles have more clout, than there you go.
Chris Pratt is an actor that people seem to agree is over saturated and is in anything and everything. But I still have fun with his performances so I am looking forward to this movie still. I hope they do the world and characters a lot of justice. Based on Bowser in the trailer I think they are off to a good start. He's actually menacing and isn't going for the "wimpy bad guy" that I was worried they were going to do with Jack Black voicing him.

Chris Pratt is an actor that people seem to agree is over saturated and is in anything and everything. But I still have fun with his performances so I am looking forward to this movie still.
And honestly, that's the other side of it. I just need him to go away for a few years.

figmentPez

Staff member
There do seem to be some people pushing for that classic voice, not thinking about the annoyance.

The other side is that Charles Martinet is a talented voice actor, and he's fully capable of doing a Mario that isn't exactly the same as what he's done for the video games. And it's not just about originating the role, it's about who made the most recognizable version of the role. Most people who know Mario know what he sounds like in a dozen or more games. I don't know what he sounds like in Hotel Mario, most people don't. Slightly more people know how he sounded in the animated series or the movie, but I doubt many people consider either of those to be the definitive version of the character.

I think the real question is: Why aren't we making voice actors famous? If big name movies have to have big name stars, then why isn't the industry recognizing all the voice actors who do a ton of amazing work, so that they can be the big name stars animated movies need? (I assume the answer is that the entertainment industry has a problem with ego, and people high up the chain think there's only so much money and recognition to go around, so they want it all for themselves, and letting voice actors get famous would take more money/fame away from someone who already has it.)

Reactions: Far