[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

Call me a corpo bootlicker but I'm happy to see Insomniac's Spidey and Miles in that big group shot as it pulls out.

Barbie (July 21, 2023)

If you told me years ago that I'd be legitimately interested in seeing a Barbie movie, I would've laughed in your face.

And yet, here we are. I'm getting Josie & the Pussycats vibes from this. It looks like it will be self-aware as fuck.

Barbie (July 21, 2023)

If you told me years ago that I'd be legitimately interested in seeing a Barbie movie, I would've laughed in your face.

And yet, here we are. I'm getting Josie & the Pussycats vibes from this. It looks like it will be self-aware as fuck.

Uh oh... my inner-child (and avid Barbie ower/doll player) is already looking to by tickets. I feel like this is something I should see with my mother, given all the money my family has spent on Barbies and Barbie accessories for me in my lifetime.

I'm down for it? If any of you have ever seen any of the Barbie direct to video 3D movies, you'd understand that Mattel has been VERY tongue in cheek about the brand's output for a long time and they are absolutely down for just the craziest shit.

What child is going to get a GODFATHER reference?

I posted on YouTube that her name is going to be Eve. The quick response I got was from an account that looks like it's spoofing the ONEMedia company.
I was going to say that it feels like more than just coincidence that they cast Adam Driver.

--Patrick

Evil Dead Rise
(Release Date: April 21, 2023)

This looks in line with the 2013 remake, which was WAY better than anyone expected. If it's not a direct sequel, then it's certainly a thematic sequel.

Oh yeah, I'm in.

figmentPez

Staff member
Not upcoming, since it's already streaming, but I just learned about this:

Blue's Big City Adventure a Blue's Clues movie with Steve, Joe, and Josh, all three hosts of the series.

Not upcoming, since it's already streaming, but I just learned about this:

Blue's Big City Adventure a Blue's Clues movie with Steve, Joe, and Josh, all three hosts of the series.

Aww, this brought me back to when Li'l Z was... little, and liked Blue's Clues. I think he might be too old for this, but he'd probably get a kick out of the trailer, and bringing back Steve and Joe.

Dave

Staff member
I loved the trailer up until the reveal. For fuck's sake ANYONE else, please. These are the times when you want an unknown. And since when did vampires give their thralls powers? This is more like a superhero movie.

I loved the trailer up until the reveal. For fuck's sake ANYONE else, please. These are the times when you want an unknown. And since when did vampires give their thralls powers? This is more like a superhero movie.
Yep, and Awkwafina appears to be basically playing her character from Shang-Chi.

And since when did vampires give their thralls powers? This is more like a superhero movie.
You don’t like Nic Cage, which is fine. Totally understandable.

But it’s a very common trope for familiars to have a portion of the vampire’s powers, starting with the original Renfield character in the original 1897 novel.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
You don’t like Nic Cage, which is fine. Totally understandable.

But it’s a very common trope for families to have a portion of the vampire’s powers, starting with the original Renfield character in the original 1897 novel.
I don't remember Renfield having powers. Yeah, he ate spiders & stuff but I don't remember powers. Time to look some shit up.

edit: So far I don't see that he had. And I don't hate Nic Cage. I like him in some stuff. But it's just too jarring here. I don't go, "Hey, that's Dracula!" I say, "Wow. Nic Cage playing Nic Cage. With fangs."

Yeah, Renfield didn't have powers, he just ranted about eating living things to get powers, as i recall.

But V:tM has been around for decades, and Ghouls get powers there, and even live forever as long as they get a steady supply of vampire blood.

I don't remember Renfield having powers. Yeah, he ate spiders & stuff but I don't remember powers. Time to look some shit up.

edit: So far I don't see that he had. And I don't hate Nic Cage. I like him in some stuff. But it's just too jarring here. I don't go, "Hey, that's Dracula!" I say, "Wow. Nic Cage playing Nic Cage. With fangs."
So basically Universal is trying to do what Sony failed at and make a fun Morbius movie.

So far I don't see that he had.
So i looked him up on wikipedia, and this jumped out at me:

R. M. Renfield, aetat 59. Sanguine temperament, great physical strength, morbidly excitable, periods of gloom, ending in some fixed idea which I cannot make out. I presume that the sanguine temperament itself and the disturbing influence end in a mentally-accomplished finish, a possibly dangerous man, probably dangerous if unselfish. In selfish men, caution is as secure an armour for their foes as for themselves. What I think of on this point is, when self is the fixed point the centripetal force is balanced with the centrifugal. When duty, a cause, etc., is the fixed point, the latter force is paramount, and only accident or a series of accidents can balance it. — From Dr. John Seward's journal
which i guess could be taken as a sign that the "diet" he was on was doing something...

In Dracula he’s supposed to have enhanced strength, like the Wikipedia entry said. And other stories have added to that trope over time. I’m just saying this isn’t the first vampire story to show familiars having powers of some kind from serving a vampire.
I don't know. "Great physical strength" doesn't really sounds like super human to me.
The thing is, 19th century gothic fiction was a lot more understated than the current style. Going out of your way to say that he had enhanced strength would be the equivalent to a modern author say he picked up a car and threw it 100 feet.

It's a horror-comedy. And it's Renfield-focused. I don't personally give a big rat's ass how they change the original to make Renfield interesting enough to be the headliner. Vampire stories have gone so far afield from 'source' as to make any meaningful comparison worthless. Sparkly vampires? Day walkers? Vampirism is a curse, a disease, a genetic mutation?

It just seems to be a silly thing to get hung up on.

Last edited:
And Bucky was Captain America's kid sidekick, not his physically-better peer. Sometimes we change fictional shit for movies because it makes a different, and hopefully, more interesting story. Considering how much of Dracula's lore has changed due to so many movie, tv, comic, etc. adaptations over the years, I'm less worried how true to Renfield's character this is. Hell, I forgot his name was Renfield.

EDIT: OR, Tin could make my point a few seconds before me. WAY TO STEP ON MY TOES, TIN. :p

I don't know. "Great physical strength" doesn't really sounds like super human to me.
It's not a question of it being meant to be super or not, especially back before superheroes where a thing, but to show where inspiration for doing it after might have come from.

Like so, from the wiki synopsis: "When Dracula returns that night, Renfield is again seized by his conscience. He remembers hearing that madmen have unnatural strength, and so attempts to fight Dracula. Renfield's strength leaves him after looking into Dracula's eyes,"