[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

"Dude, this bread is awesome! " Yes that was hilarious. My only half qualm and it's minor one, was that the whole Bunnick getting different powers from different veggies feels PRETTY much like setting up power ups for the inevitable video game. BUT once again I'm just pickin' nits, it's a damn enjoyable show.

Oh my satan I JUST got why there's a new Gumball on this night specifically, because Gravity Falls is ending tonight. I mean yeah its a great show, but you REALLY wanna put it up against the series finale of one of the biggest cartoon episodic epics of all time?

GRAVITY FALLS!

...I'm gonna have to read the cypher to figure out Dipper's real name aren't I? DAMMIT! EITHER WAY-great finale to a great series, my only mother fucking qualm however
would you JUST let Durland and Blubs kiss Disney?!

Edit: *Cricket noises* Where the hell is everybody?

Last edited:
Haven't gotten a chance to see it yet. I'll be doing so soon. In the mean time, here's the extended intro song for the new Powerpuff Girls show. It's totally pop-punk.

EDIT: Just noticed something... the girls have cellphones and look to be in a normal school with lockers. Are we assuming they've aged them up into elementary school or something? They used to go to a pre-school.

Last edited:
EDIT: Just noticed something... the girls have cellphones and look to be in a normal school with lockers. Are we assuming they've aged them up into elementary school or something? They used to go to a pre-school.
Thought the phone was just modernization, but yeah looks like it. Ah well, at least they don't have secret identities, are still sisters, and Blossom is still the leader rather than an annoying sentai obsessed teenager who merits her being leader SOLELY on her costume being red.

One thing I ain't looking forward to, the awkward "their voices changed because they are growing up" line that we ALL see coming.

Now that I finally have time to time, last night's Gravity Falls finale:

What I liked:
-That EVERYONE came back for the final battle, even if they didn't have a line. I'm surprised the unicorns showed, but I'm sure they hashed things out with Grenda and Candi before.
-Speaking of everyone, awww, Rumble Humble McSkrimish! ( "Fight Fighters" "Boyz Crazy" and "The Last Mabelcorn" are some of our households favorite episodes)
-I remember, a long while back, someone pointing out that some of the icons on the zodiac matched sweaters Mabel has worn. I'm glad that came back into play.
-Soos teaching McGucket about anime.
-Uncle Stan punching Bill right in the eye.
-Stan leaving the Shack to Soos. Stan was the father figure that Soos so badly wanted, and this was the best gift he could have given. I don't think that Soos is a great business man, but since Melody came back (hooray!) and the rest of the town doesn't want to see the Shack shut down, I think he'll get plenty of help to make sure it survives.
-Stan and Ford making sure Waddles gets on the bus is one of the most Jersey things I've seen in a long time. :rofl:

What I Didn't Like:
-I feel like the made Stan TOO much of a selfish jerk to make his sacrifice at the end seem more important. Stan can be selfish, but he's always stepped up with the important stuff. It felt a little out-of-character.
-I would have liked an episode where we got to know Wendy's dad and brothers better. I would have also liked have seen Dipper and Mabel's parents and grandfather at least once. (Seriously, did they all start having kids in early high school?)
-I'm "meh" on Gideon. I wouldn't have minded watching him croak.
-That Disney was all over the place with scheduling.
-We never learned Dipper's real name. I know Alex Hirsch gave us hints in Between the Pines, but I was hoping there'd be a confirmation at the end.
-That it's over! I'm going to miss this show so much! :(

Best Gravity Falls Easter Egg? You guys know who was doing the voice of the bus driver at the end?

Agent Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks, otherwise known as Kyle MacLachlan. Here's hoping for an Alex Hirsch cameo in the new season of Twin Peaks.

Wife and I have gotten back into Justice League Unlimited, and I know this is nitpicking, but the villains seem really stupid. I'm trying to ignore that they refer to themselves as "villains" which the other DC series seemed good at avoiding because of how dumb that is, but I mean their plans tend to really suck.

Example, episode Grudge Match, where they control women of the Justice League to fight each other for sport ... they use the JLU com-links to accomplish this, and the best they can do with it is set up cage match gambling? You could just take control of Superman and do whatever you wanted. Anyone in the JLU, and just ... stupid, guys. Really stupid.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wife and I have gotten back into Justice League Unlimited, and I know this is nitpicking, but the villains seem really stupid. I'm trying to ignore that they refer to themselves as "villains" which the other DC series seemed good at avoiding because of how dumb that is, but I mean their plans tend to really suck.

Example, episode Grudge Match, where they control women of the Justice League to fight each other for sport ... they use the JLU com-links to accomplish this, and the best they can do with it is set up cage match gambling? You could just take control of Superman and do whatever you wanted. Anyone in the JLU, and just ... stupid, guys. Really stupid.
Well, the idea there was Roulette wanted to make money, not take over the world, and the thought was that this was a racket that could be run as long as it was profitable. The only real weakness in the plan was it didn't account for Huntress getting kicked out and not having a commlink. And even Roulette's boss, Lex Luthor, at that point didn't care about taking over the world, all he cared about was being able to look for Brainiac.

Yeah, but what do you do if it DOESN'T work on somebody? Then the heroes are clued in and your scam is done. They just wanted to make some cash so they went the easy way.

Yeah, but what do you do if it DOESN'T work on somebody? Then the heroes are clued in and your scam is done. They just wanted to make some cash so they went the easy way.
Just feels like starting a bonfire to light a match.

Well, the idea there was Roulette wanted to make money, not take over the world, and the thought was that this was a racket that could be run as long as it was profitable. The only real weakness in the plan was it didn't account for Huntress getting kicked out and not having a commlink. And even Roulette's boss, Lex Luthor, at that point didn't care about taking over the world, all he cared about was being able to look for Brainiac.
I don't mean there was a weakness in it, just that there's so much more you can do with the power to hijack any JLU member with a com in their ear.

figmentPez

Staff member
I dunno, when you start mind controlling big heroes into doing really bad stuff it tends to break reality and cause confusing time skips that are meant to be filled by video games that only come out after the episodes set after the skip have all aired, and the show gets canceled.

I dunno, when you start mind controlling big heroes into doing really bad stuff it tends to break reality and cause confusing time skips that are meant to be filled by video games that only come out after the episodes set after the skip have all aired, and the show gets canceled.
Also said video game ends up getting a 4.8 at best...right? That's what we're referencing? Because I could honestly believe if you were talking about something else.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is a Young Justice reference, for those who didn't get it.

At the end of season one, the core of the Justice League have been mind controlled and have missing hours they can't remember. Then season two skips ahead five years, which wasn't handled very well, IMO. Especially since there was a video game planned that was supposed to provide some of the information about the intervening time, but ended up not coming out until after the show had been canceled.

The French cartoon Lou! has caught my eye, nice little slice of life story about a girl, her young single mom who looks like Daria let loose, and the people in their apartment building. And I REALLY wish I could find subs, the dub is OKAY but I think the original voice French actors put more OOMPH into it.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Its an okay start, was kinda thrown off by the group dynamic though, especially since I remember the dog being ...SIGNIFICANTLY smarter in the book, every line of his I always envisioned with a wise British accent.
Everything is significantly different than the books. The tone of the books is almost a polar opposite to the tone of the show.

Which doesn't make the show bad, and in fact it's a fun take on the idea. I don't think the tone of the books could have been kept up for even a single season, but wacky adventures can keep going a lot longer in a kid's show than eerie suspense where the reader never directly knows if Bunnicula is really a vampire.

Which doesn't make the show bad, and in fact it's a fun take on the idea. I don't think the tone of the books could have been kept up for even a single season, but wacky adventures can keep going a lot longer in a kid's show than eerie suspense where the reader never directly knows if Bunnicula is really a vampire.
That's a fair point, would work as a movie, but a whole series maybe not.

Wander Over Yonder: My Fair Hatey

Seriously people, WATCH THIS SHOW-its really great.

Some more info on that Hey Arnold movie they are doing. Apparently it's going to be -two- made-for-tv movies and they'll hit sometime in 2017. We're also getting a live action film reboot/homage for Legends of the Hidden Temple, which was one of the best kids game shows ever made on a channel that made A LOT of REALLY GOOD game shows for kids. Viacom will be unveiling more about the projects sometime tomorrow.

I am binge watching the Justice League movies Doom, War, and Battle for Atlantis. Next is Flashpoint Paradox.

I have been on/off watching Young Justice. I'm sad that it was canceled but didn't someone post that it might be coming back?

I am binge watching the Justice League movies Doom, War, and Battle for Atlantis. Next is Flashpoint Paradox.

I have been on/off watching Young Justice. I'm sad that it was canceled but didn't someone post that it might be coming back?
It's been 2... 3 years? IT's not coming back. Instead we're getting a light hearted Justice League cartoon that works in 15-minute bites.

And hopefully it'll be an ACTUAL lighthearted send-up, rather than the mean spirited tripe that shall not be named.
What I'm hoping will happen is they'll bring back Super Best Friends Forever as a sort of "second half" of the new Justice League show. But tis but a dream.

At this point it's all speculation based on vague responses people have gotten from Netflix emails/help desk folks. Weisman himself has no idea if there's even a chance, last I heard.

Big Hero 6 TV series in the works. I wonder if this means a sequel is ether not happening or is a few years off.

A TV series based on the Disney film Big Hero 6will premiere in 2017, the company announced ahead of its television upfront presentation Wednesday.

Big Hero 6: The Series will air on cable channel Disney XD, according to Variety, and will again star characters like Baymax, the adorable inflatable robot. Mark McCorkle and Bob Schooley, who created Disney Channel favorite Kim Possible, will executive produce.
Big Hero 6 hit theaters in 2014. The film is based upon a Marvel Comics miniseries by the same name, which had two separate runs: the first in 1998 and another in 2008. Disney's adaptation differs from the comic book version, however; it offers a new take on the original cast of characters and resets the story in the fictional San Fransokyo.
Big Hero 6 went on to win an Oscar for Best Animated Features at the 85th Annual Academy Awards. A theatrical sequel hasn't been announced, although characters from the film will appear in the Disney-Square Enix co-production Kingdom Hearts 3.

Reactions: TNM
Big Hero 6 TV series in the works. I wonder if this means a sequel is ether not happening or is a few years off.
Ooooooooooh, so THAT'S the action series Bob Schooley was working on! Maybe now Kim Possible fans will shut the fuck up about a fifth season that is neither going to happen nor necessary because its one of the few cartoons from that era that had a nice book-ended story...I know it won't, but its a nice thought.

Netflix has some more DC animated movies; Flash Paradox, JL: War and Son of Batman were added. Also, The Batman showed up this month, too.