[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Ducktales 2017: JAW$!

I really like the change of Scrooge getting his fortune from basically being a ruthless bastard at business to instead being a ruthless bastard treasure hunter. It's almost like Disney realizes that "self-made" billionaires aren't exactly role models to aspire to be anymore... especially with Beaks being a stand-in for basically every DotCom billionaire ever.

Also, I like that this plot is going SOMEWHERE and feels like it'll be answered by the end of the series. Disney doesn't do more than 26-52 episodes of anything if it can help it so it's likely this series will reach it's conclusion sooner rather than later.

I can't remember if I talked about it in this thread or the anime thread, but i feel like the first half of the Parasyte anime was really strong, but the second half is a little sluggish and peters out.
Yeah, we got to the part where it was basically two whole episodes of high school emotional angsty crap over basically nothing. We haven't powered through yet to see if it gets any better.

I really like the change of Scrooge getting his fortune from basically being a ruthless bastard at business to instead being a ruthless bastard treasure hunter. It's almost like Disney realizes that "self-made" billionaires aren't exactly role models to aspire to be anymore... especially with Beaks being a stand-in for basically every DotCom billionaire ever.
Scrooge’s backstory has always been about luck, pluck, and shrewdness. Even in the comics, the only people he’s been heartless to have been people who deserved it. In my opinion, as a role model, Scrooge is supposed to show that you can become a self-made billionaire without having to maximize cruelty to do so. Often the opposite, in fact. And that’s an example I’d like to see more of, honestly.

—Patrick

Yeah, we got to the part where it was basically two whole episodes of high school emotional angsty crap over basically nothing. We haven't powered through yet to see if it gets any better.
I finished it because I started it, but I was very "meh" on the end.

Ducktales 2018: The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains

This is a total throwback to the Don Rosa master piece The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, specifically Hearts of the Yukon and I love that they brought Goldie in as a major character. I also love that the show's excuse for Scrooge to have been around in the 1800's is that he was effectively displaced in time for some period. That means they can bring all of those really crazy stories from early in his life into the show if they'd like.

Ducktales 2018: The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains

This is a total throwback to the Don Rosa master piece The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, specifically Hearts of the Yukon and I love that they brought Goldie in as a major character. I also love that the show's excuse for Scrooge to have been around in the 1800's is that he was effectively displaced in time for some period. That means they can bring all of those really crazy stories from early in his life into the show if they'd like.

To be fair, we already knew he had a time machine. ;)

No, not that one.

This one:

Steven Universe

My best friend got me totally hooked on this show.

At first, I kind of dismissed it as another Adventure Time kind of show. Weird for the sake of being weird. And the early episodes only cemented that feeling for me. So I resisted watching it for quite awhile.

But finally, I decided to give it a second or third try.

I plowed through Season 2 in a matter of days and I'm already four episodes into Season 3.

Guys? I'm hooked.

Steven Universe

My best friend got me totally hooked on this show.

At first, I kind of dismissed it as another Adventure Time kind of show. Weird for the sake of being weird. And the early episodes only cemented that feeling for me. So I resisted watching it for quite awhile.

I plowed through Season 2 in a matter of days and I'm already four episodes into Season 3.

Guys? I'm hooked.
We'll see you in the ghetto where we talk about our show.

BECAUSE WE DON'T GET TO IN THIS THREAD! *slams screen door*

@ThatNickGuy , it's not nearly as dire as some would make it out to be. SU has a spoiler thread because it was starting to overload the main thread.

That being said, if you're only up to the beginning of season 3, there is definitely some stuff in the dedicated thread that are still spoilers for you.

figmentPez

Staff member
While I would argue that Adventure Time sometimes uses weirdness to very good purpose, there's still a lot of weird just to be weird. Steven Universe does have a much higher ratio of message/madness.

While I would argue that Adventure Time sometimes uses weirdness to very good purpose, there's still a lot of weird just to be weird. Steven Universe does have a much higher ratio of message/madness.
And that's exactly it. Adventure Time felt like it was all over the place, but had strong world building mostly in the background. Steven Universe slowly builds the mysteries and mythology, but it doesn't do weird for the sake of weird...most times. Or even if it does, it winds up being something important later on.

Weird for the sake of being weird. And the early episodes only cemented that feeling for me. So I resisted watching it for quite awhile.
Guys? I'm hooked.
I felt the same way about Tiny Toons and The Simpsons.

—Patrick

Steven Universe definitely had the benefit of knowing what it wanted to be from day one, Adventure Time was originally just a simple fantasy story before they went whole-hog with the post-apocalyptic angle.

@ThatNickGuy , it's not nearly as dire as some would make it out to be. SU has a spoiler thread because it was starting to overload the main thread.

That being said, if you're only up to the beginning of season 3, there is definitely some stuff in the dedicated thread that are still spoilers for you.
Yeah, I did see there was a separate thread for that. But since I'm two and a half seasons behind, I figured it best to steer clear of it for now. Can't WAIT to catch up and join the speculation, though!

Yeah, I did see there was a separate thread for that. But since I'm two and a half seasons behind, I figured it best to steer clear of it for now. Can't WAIT to catch up and join the speculation, though!
New episodes hit next week, starting June 2nd. They'll probably be on the CN app sooner.

Ducktales 2018: Day of the Only Child

"Real Wealth is not caring if people think you're crazy because they can't stop you anyway" is just more apt, depressingly hilarious commentary from this series. Like, they really, REALLY get the sheer insanity that the crazy rich get into sometimes. I am LITERALLY waiting for Scrooge to need to go to the moon and just having his board of directors throw their hands up in defeat.

EDIT: Apparently there's a new, 13 episode Caballeros (Donald Duck, Jose Carioca, and Panchito) series out/coming out? I know you can find it online, but I haven't watched it yet.

Donald Duck is basically Mario, isn't he? He's just a normal guy who is seemingly the RIGHT guy for solving a lot of problems, even when they are WAY outside his expertise.

Last edited:
Ducktales 2018: From the Confidential Casefiles of Agent 22

So this is the episode the above teasers were showing off: Scrooge going off on a 60's Spy Movie spoof while a parallel plot takes place in the present. This might be my favorite episode so far, with tons of throwbacks to the old Disney show Gummi Bears, as well as F.O.W.L from Darkwing Duck. Definitely a highlight from this season.