[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Well, nuts.

Paramount+ had previously given the go-ahead to a second season of kid-focused animated series Star Trek: Prodigy, but the series has now been cancelled ahead of that. Additionally, the Hollywood Reporter notes, Prodigy will be removed from the streaming platform altogether. (Gizmodo)

GasBandit

Staff member
I've watched the first 3 episodes now and I'm still on the fence. I hope they tone down Jimmy's conspiracy theory fixation and get Lois a sense of responsibility, because so far I'm finding them both a bit off-putting. She's obsessively selfish in her hyperfocus on "breaking the story" with no regard for the consequences for anyone else, and he's just exasperating.

I've watched the first 3 episodes now and I'm still on the fence. I hope they tone down Jimmy's conspiracy theory fixation and get Lois a sense of responsibility, because so far I'm finding them both a bit off-putting. She's obsessively selfish in her hyperfocus on "breaking the story" with no regard for the consequences for anyone else, and he's just exasperating.
You know, this was something that ALWAYS bothered me about Lois Lane. More often than not she was written this way, and it would drive me up a wall.

Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai

This was fun. It's not great, but it's fun. It's darker than I expected for a kids show, with (bloodless) decapitations and dismemberment. It also takes a strongly mystical/fantasy route, with magic, gods, and Chinese folklore. The latter of which kind of gets in the way of the show at times, because some episodes during the adventure are encounters with Chinese folklore creatures like the Jiangshi. Which is fun for what it is, but often gets in the way of the show being about gremlins.

On the other hand, the deep dive into Chinese lore helps establish the world when they reveal the origin of the mogwai. It's not what I expected, but it works well within the show.

I will say, once they get to the origin, set all the pieces, move towards the multi-part finale, THEN it feels more like a Gremlins thing. It's not a great show overall, but they stick the landing.

I much would have preferred a new Gremlins movie, but for new Gremlins media, it's fun for what it is. I don't expect we'll see a second season of this, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Venture Bros: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart

Pretty good! I had some good laughs and enjoyed myself. It was basically an 83 minute episode, and it tied up most of the loose strings left dangling at the end of the show, including the exact nature of the relationship between Rusty and Malcolm, and answering who gave birth to Hank and Dean.

Not sure why it took this long for it to come out... but then, I'm not sure why every season had so many YEARS between them, either.

All in all, thumbs up.

The Venture Bros: Radiant is the Blood of the Baboon Heart

Pretty good! I had some good laughs and enjoyed myself. It was basically an 83 minute episode, and it tied up most of the loose strings left dangling at the end of the show, including the exact nature of the relationship between Rusty and Malcolm, and answering who gave birth to Hank and Dean.

Not sure why it took this long for it to come out... but then, I'm not sure why every season had so many YEARS between them, either.

All in all, thumbs up.
Part of it is Doc Hammer's significant health issues (which includes not being able to FLY due to an inner ear issue, meaning he has to take a car or train any time he goes to the studio to do production), and part of it is that all of the animation is done in-house, in the US, instead of with slave labor in Japan or Korea.

Also, the show is apparently leaving MAX on the 12th so... catch up on those older seasons, lest you do the unthinkable and develop an addiction to DARTS.

Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies are developing a sequel to “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem” and planning a two-season series that will serve as a “bridge” between the films. The spinoff series, titled “Tales of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles,” will appear on Paramount+. (Variety)

Miraculous: Ladybug and Cat Noir, The Movie (Netflix)

It's a retelling of the origin of Paris's favorite superheroes, Ladybug and Chat Noir... as a Disney-style musical that's like 3 times as childish as the actual show. I don't hate this (I actually rather like it), but when it devolves into fart jokes, I can't help but feel like they could have done better. That said, Hawkmoth is a much more fun villain in this and I don't know if that's a better take than his more serious depiction in the show but it's way more entertaining to see him go full Disney villain. The movie itself is beautiful, the music's pretty good, and it's fun seeing lots of returning characters from the show, including some reinterpretations of some of the akumatized villains from the show. It gets a bit maudlin a bits but it works and the romance is much more of the focus of the movie than it was in the early seasons of the show.

All in all, it's worth a watch if you're a fan of the show, if only for it's somewhat radical departure from the plot of the series. It's clear they want to make more of these, so we'll see what happens. I'm kind of surprised this is on Netflix really, but I'm betting they helped produce this before they lost interest in the show and used a clause in their contract to get it on their service instead of Disney+.

Miraculous: Ladybug and Cat Noir, The Movie (Netflix)

It's a retelling of the origin of Paris's favorite superheroes, Ladybug and Chat Noir... as a Disney-style musical that's like 3 times as childish as the actual show. I don't hate this (I actually rather like it), but when it devolves into fart jokes, I can't help but feel like they could have done better. That said, Hawkmoth is a much more fun villain in this and I don't know if that's a better take than his more serious depiction in the show but it's way more entertaining to see him go full Disney villain. The movie itself is beautiful, the music's pretty good, and it's fun seeing lots of returning characters from the show, including some reinterpretations of some of the akumatized villains from the show. It gets a bit maudlin a bits but it works and the romance is much more of the focus of the movie than it was in the early seasons of the show.

All in all, it's worth a watch if you're a fan of the show, if only for it's somewhat radical departure from the plot of the series. It's clear they want to make more of these, so we'll see what happens. I'm kind of surprised this is on Netflix really, but I'm betting they helped produce this before they lost interest in the show and used a clause in their contract to get it on their service instead of Disney+.
Yeah it's a fine film, my only complaint is that Lou was an awkward singing voice for Marinette considering Christina Vee all ready IS a great singer.