[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

I'm just watching as many Lego cartoons as possible, finished Dreamzzz, now I'm on Nexo Knights, a basic but fun science fantasy power rangers deally , with sparse Monty Python references!

This is very funny. Bravo.

Also hilarious, Paramount being so proud of BOTH of it's animated series. There aren't three animated Star Trek shows and any news to the contrary is a lie.

Last edited:
Man, Prodigy memory holed so far, it got one tiny reference amongst every single one of these Short Treks.

The new Star Trek showrunner trick is going to be trying to slip Prodigy references under the suits' noses.

A concerning observation from Mike McMahan, the show runner for Lower Decks:
Everything is changing. I think everything’s gonna continue to change. I would say nothing is safe. I don’t have any bad news for anybody, but also, I think you shouldn’t assume that this stuff is gonna stick around unless you vocally and watch it early on. I do not know if we’re going to have another season after the season we’re working on right now [Season 5]. Lower Decks could very well be a five-season show.

(CinemaBlend)

Everything is changing. I think everything’s gonna continue to change. I would say nothing is safe. I don’t have any bad news for anybody, but also, I think you shouldn’t assume that this stuff is gonna stick around unless you vocally and watch it early on. I do not know if we’re going to have another season after the season we’re working on right now [Season 5]. Lower Decks could very well be a five-season show.

(CinemaBlend)
I love Lower Decks and I'd be sad to see it go, but any show that gets more than 3 seasons these days is a miracle.

(CinemaBlend)
Which is ironic because Lower Decks fans are already pretty vocal about loving it and consistently watching it, to the point that it got a cross-over with Strange New Worlds. It's clearly very popular, even if there is a significant subsection of the Trek community that will never watch it for reasons fair ("I don't find it funny"), boring ("I don't like animation"), and foul ("HOW DARE THERE BE DIVERSITY IN MY SHOW THAT'S ABOUT DIVERSITY!"). That's not even getting getting into the folks who treat the franchise as a sacred cow...

To put it plainly, if the show is cancelled in Season 5, it'll be because that's the time for the cast to renegotiate their contracts and they'll (rightfully) want more money for the amazing work they've done.

Which is ironic because Lower Decks fans are already pretty vocal about loving it and consistently watching it, to the point that it got a cross-over with Strange New Worlds. It's clearly very popular, even if there is a significant subsection of the Trek community that will never watch it for reasons fair ("I don't find it funny"), boring ("I don't like animation"), and foul ("HOW DARE THERE BE DIVERSITY IN MY SHOW THAT'S ABOUT DIVERSITY!"). That's not even getting getting into the folks who treat the franchise as a sacred cow...

To put it plainly, if the show is cancelled in Season 5, it'll be because that's the time for the cast to renegotiate their contracts and they'll (rightfully) want more money for the amazing work they've done.
I hope you're right. I'm worried it's more about the viability of Paramount's streaming business than anything specifically to do with the show.

I hope you're right. I'm worried it's more about the viability of Paramount's streaming business than anything specifically to do with the show.
This is a legit concern, but even IF Paramount had to fold up shop, it's not like they wouldn't look to team up with someone else first. You think Discovery wouldn't want to stream Star Trek and Nickelodeon stuff? Netflix?

The real issue at hand is that now the people who make shows will have access to actual viewership data (and by extension the public), we're going to have a real idea of whether or not streaming is actually viable.

I hope you can see the english version with the english dub. For some reason YouTube shows me the german dub.

Edit: interesting, you can change the audiotrack. I didn't know you can do that with YouTube videos. I reuploaded it now.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix on Netflix

What the fuck am I watching? I've played Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, and I have no idea what the hell is going on. Rayman is a news anchor? Jade and Peyj from Beyond Good and Evil just showed up alongside some guy named Cody Rhodes, who I assumed was a Final Fight character until I googled the name and found he's a wrestler with the WWE. There was some sort of rainbow colored sentai squad. Things are switching back and forth between anime style cel animation and video game sequences done in pixel art. (FC3: Blood Dragon did not feature any pixel art in the game.)

I am so confused right now.

EDIT: Now there's a frog wearing Assassin's Creed garb?

EDIT2:
It's a Suicide Squad premise, right down to bombs in their brain?
And I just finished the first episode. This is weird.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The last few days all my feeds have been absolutely CLOGGED with fanart of this. Yep, another animated pilot stuffed to the gills with ADHD-inducing overstimulation and existential angst. Safe to say the techneurodivergents have found a new flash in the pan to fixate on for a little bit.

The last few days all my feeds have been absolutely CLOGGED with fanart of this.
The music is very reminiscent of Super Mario 64, and the content is just like an updated 90's CGI short, but I'm more surprised how much mileage the Rule34 crowd has gotten out of this, and so quickly.
Also, we live in the age of "Juvenile Horror," and until it runs its course, you'd best buckle in for more of this.

EDIT: Hah! Watched a documentary on FNAF (and other juvenile horror) recently, and in it they basically say, "Juvie horror works best if you can also make the characters into a plushie or slap 'em on a shirt!" and watching the video all the way through until the end (my first time seeing it outside of memes, btw), I'll be ding-dangled if there isn't a link to go buy some plushies of the characters!

--Patrick

Last edited:
The music is very reminiscent of Super Mario 64, and the content is just like an updated 90's CGI short, but I'm more surprised how much mileage the Rule34 crowd has gotten out of this, and so quickly.
Also, we live in the age of "Juvenile Horror," and until it runs its course, you'd best buckle in for more of this.

EDIT: Hah! Watched a documentary on FNAF (and other juvenile horror) recently, and in it they basically say, "Juvie horror works best if you can also make the characters into a plushie or slap 'em on a shirt!" and watching the video all the way through until the end (my first time seeing it outside of memes, btw), I'll be ding-dangled if there isn't a link to go buy some plushies of the characters!

--Patrick
It's not a terrible idea. People like merch of stuff they like and if you can offer them stuff they like, it's a good way to finance the series and it's creators. God knows we wouldn't have gotten Delta Rune or the ports of Undertale if Undertale hadn't been such a smash success and had merch people wanted. Something similar is happening with the alt-fiction project Welcome Home: the Wally Darling dolls are helping Clown finance more of the project and helping them get out of what was a bad living situation.

If selling dolls is what it takes to keep the series going, then they should definitely do that. Capitalism's a nightmare, but at least this is something pretty innocuous.

This week's episode was MUCH better than the first two. Bringing back the president helped, because Keith David is always a win. But bringing back another character sold it for me.

Not a GREAT episode, but the best episode of the season so far. Which isn't saying much since the first two were kinda crap. But I'd say this one was good, at least.