[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

GasBandit

Staff member
Is it just me or did someone take Gigguk's accent and crank the cockney up past 11?

Dude can't pronounce an R in the middle of a word to save his life, much less avoiding turning Ls into Ws.

I swear he didn't used to be this way.

GasBandit

Staff member
Part of it could just be the fact that he's been living in Japan for awhile now.
If he were turning Ls to Rs instead of Ws, I might could think that too. I wonder if he hasn't just been hanging out with cockneys a lot more on his podcasts.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reincarnated as a Fantasy Knockout is a good premise squandered on bad pacing and mediocre writing, plus I can't really come to terms with the assertion that apparently a "fantasy knockout" is a skinny undeveloped loli with shark teeth. Must be a Japanese thing.

I had to look that up, and the weirdest thing about it to me is this:
Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout, abbreviated as Fabiniku...
...those are some amazing abbreviation skills.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
...those are some amazing abbreviation skills.

--Patrick
Eh, not really. The Japanese words for the title are
Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan
Fa_____ Bi_____ __niku ______

Basically FBNK because they can't have a consonant by itself.

The laziest abbreviation though would have to be KonoSuba... because it's just the first 4 characters of
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
("God's blessing on this wonderful world!")

The Japanese words for the title are
Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan
Fa_____ Bi_____ __niku ______
Ah, so the Japanese method of abbreviating things is like how "Nylon," "Canola," or "Modem" came to be.
Also all these rights holders need to get their acts together. Some day I'm gonna want to binge all the stuff I've missed, but by then there will be nothing left that isn't ARRR.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Masamune-kun's Revenge

Genre: Romance, Comedy, High school
Fanservice: Little
Premise: A fat kid gets treated cruelly by the girl he likes, and moves away to spend the next 8 years working unceasingly to resculpt his body into teenage perfection, then he changes his name and moves back home - bent on getting revenge on her by making her fall in love with him, then spurning her. Hilarity ensues.

I was rather dubious of the concept, but I'm glad I gave it a chance, this was actually pretty enjoyable. The main beats of the A-plot are telegraphed pretty obviously, but there are nice little surprise twists and character development along the way, and good supporting characters. It's a pity there's no word on season 2 yet, as the plot is still ongoing by the end of the first season. But if and when there is a season 2, I do look forward to seeing it.
They just announced a second season is in production, 5 years later. And here I'd thought they'd abandoned it long ago.

GasBandit

Staff member
"Trapped in a Dating Sim" seems to be interesting. Same sort of vein as "My Next Life as a Villainess" except less shoehorned mary sue "kawaii" and more "I hate this game genre and this game in particular and everything in it so fuck all of you."

GasBandit

Staff member
On the other hand, "Rising of the Shield Hero" season 2 is seeming extremely tedious to me, despite the show going back to its roots for soundtrack.

Maybe it's because I kept reading the manga so I know that I don't like the current plot arc. In fact, it got me to drop the manga.

"Trapped in a Dating Sim" seems to be interesting. Same sort of vein as "My Next Life as a Villainess" except less shoehorned mary sue "kawaii" and more "I hate this game genre and this game in particular and everything in it so fuck all of you."
I watched some of the first episodes for the new shows of this season but not this one. Sounds interesting as long it didn't turn in another "Full Dive".

GasBandit

Staff member
I watched some of the first episodes for the new shows of this season but not this one. Sounds interesting as long it didn't turn in another "Full Dive".
It's a lot closer to Villainess than Full Dive, but is not trying to be zany-wacky-cute-uwu like the path Villainess went down.

I, too, got tired of Full Dive is Shitty partway through. I guess the same can be said for Villainess, though - they drove the "MC is completely oblivious to the fact everybody wants her" schtick into the ground and kept going til they hit mantle.

We're only 2 episodes into Trapped in a Dating Sim, so it may be too soon to tell, but so far the feel I'm getting from it is better. Not saying it's must-see-TV or anything, but so far it doesn't suck.

So far, my "if you only watch one Anime this season" recommendation is still very firmly Kaguya-sama, and I'd be really surprised if that changed.

But if you watch two, watch My Dress Up Darling.

Well, I guess technically that was last season. I'm just watching the dub, so I'm behind.

GasBandit

Staff member
Sooo I don't know what to make of Skeleton Knight in Another World.

I took a look because one of my favorite Manhwa is "Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon." But it's not quite that.

It's all over the damn place.

First it seems like it's trying to "Goblin Slayer" by having the very first scene being the protagonist saving an underaged girl from an attempted rape that was rather more graphic than it needed to be - so much so that I had to go double check to make sure it wasn't from the same people who made "Redo of Healer." Then it channels "Overlord" by showing the protagonist's origin story as a gamer who "fell asleep" playing his favorite game and woke up in it, with all his overpowered gear that makes him stupidly invincible, oh and a curse that makes his unarmored form look like a skeleton (though he is apparently not undead, he gets hungry and can taste and smell and get drunk), so he has to keep his armor on at all times lest everyone turn on him. Sort of like if the "Momon" character from Overlord was the whole story instead of an alter ego of the MC.

And then the show immediately tries to become silly, lighthearted, and even times flirts with trying to be endearing and wholesome.

And that's all in the space of two episodes. My neck hurts from all the whiplash and I'm wondering if it'll be like Wandavision where it's a different genre every episode or something.

I'm sure that's not the actual intent, but it needs to pick a damn lane and stay there.

Sooo I don't know what to make of Skeleton Knight in Another World.

I took a look because one of my favorite Manhwa is "Skeleton Soldier Couldn't Protect the Dungeon." But it's not quite that.

It's all over the damn place.

First it seems like it's trying to "Goblin Slayer" by having the very first scene being the protagonist saving an underaged girl from an attempted rape that was rather more graphic than it needed to be - so much so that I had to go double check to make sure it wasn't from the same people who made "Redo of Healer." Then it channels "Overlord" by showing the protagonist's origin story as a gamer who "fell asleep" playing his favorite game and woke up in it, with all his overpowered gear that makes him stupidly invincible, oh and a curse that makes his unarmored form look like a skeleton (though he is apparently not undead, he gets hungry and can taste and smell and get drunk), so he has to keep his armor on at all times lest everyone turn on him. Sort of like if the "Momon" character from Overlord was the whole story instead of an alter ego of the MC.

And then the show immediately tries to become silly, lighthearted, and even times flirts with trying to be endearing and wholesome.

And that's all in the space of two episodes. My neck hurts from all the whiplash and I'm wondering if it'll be like Wandavision where it's a different genre every episode or something.

I'm sure that's not the actual intent, but it needs to pick a damn lane and stay there.
Yeah, the tonal shift ist really strong. It's like the characters of "The Slayers" find themselves in the setting of "Goblin Slayer". During episode 2 I thought the whole time the little girl get ripped apart by the monster.

GasBandit

Staff member
What if Jem and the Holograms but EDM and the manager was a 3rd century Chinese general?

I was turned on to Ya Boy Kongming by @Denbrought , watched its first 3 episodes.

It's a pretty chill watch. I like the EDM-scene setting. Nothing earth-shattering, but definitely decent and I've put up with far less for far longer. I'll keep watching it I think.

0:45 - So that's where the step-walking girl I keep seeing comes from.
Also, thanks so much for putting this back in my head:

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
0:45 - So that's where the step-walking girl I keep seeing comes from.
Also, thanks so much for putting this back in my head:

--Patrick
There's some other song it reminds me of but I can't quite recall it. I want to say it's some trance/eurodance anthem... almost like All I Ever Wanted by Basshunter, but that's not the one. It's been driving me mad.

There's some other song it reminds me of but I can't quite recall it. I want to say it's some trance/eurodance anthem... almost like All I Ever Wanted by Basshunter, but that's not the one. It's been driving me mad.
I know what you mean, there is something but I can not put my finger on it.