Things you just don't get

GasBandit

Staff member
People who think the internet gives them a free-pass to be cruel. Even if I can't see them, I always remember there is another person on the receiving end of my comments/actions.
Yeah really... uh... what kind of maladjusted arch-asshole would derive pleasure from metaphorically ripping into others via the internet.

I don't understand resistance to change that hurts no one.
What about change for no apparent reason? Some sites seem to change on a whim, changes which usually make them more difficult to use. My own pet hate is Flickr, which is now so difficult (For me that is, it might be an age thing!) that I seldom go there now.

fade

Staff member
In flickr's defense, they just went from one bad user interface to another in my opinion.

I don't get expensive weddings, multiple blade razors, the diamond jewelry industry and the entire wine industry.

Limited uses game demos.

Are they really worried that people will just play the demo over and over instead of buying the game?

Ear gauges.
"I feel like something is missing in my life. You know what I think it is? There aren't enough holes in my head."

scrapbooking.
"If I add borders, stickers, and cutsie sayings to my pictures, maybe everyone will overlook how incredibly normal and boring my life is."

lip disk.
"I live in Ethiopia (in my head) and my lifelong dream is to appear in national geographic (or the cover of my favorite BME magazine)."

large digit subtraction from left to right
"I can subtract small numbers easily. It's faster to make a big number smaller by subtracting the largest number first."

Daniel Tosh's career.
"I'm the edgiest edger ever edged into the circuit. Edgy!"

resistance to change that hurts no one.
"My feelings are hurt."

----------

Welcome to stienman's 'splainomatic. The first 6 are free. Please insert additional ratings for more 'splaining.

I don't get leggings. They look silly.
HAaaaaa...I'm pretty much the worst offender of this!! And I actually agree - they look silly. But man..they are so comfortable.

And and...my Lord of the Rings ones (ahem..yes I have multiple pairs of LOTR leggings) are so cool! I will probably never stop wearing them.

I have a big collection and I probably have the most silly looking ones of all. I mean, black and yellow striped leggings with a huge Hufflepuff crest on the side is kind of out there. =^^=

And and...my Lord of the Rings ones (ahem..yes I have multiple pairs of LOTR leggings) are so cool! I will probably never stop wearing them.
Oh my, my gf's favorite sweaters...
Worn enough you can see through the faded fabric and slowly starting to get more holes than she can shake a needle at. But she swears them's more comfy than any other stuff.
;)
Also my fav woolen pullover I carry along and care for for up to 20 years now. It's a nice thin one, nice to be worn at home and not thick enough to brave the great outside.

LittleKagsin said:
HAaaaaa...I'm pretty much the worst offender of this!! And I actually agree - they look silly. But man..they are so comfortable. And and...my Lord of the Rings ones (ahem..yes I have multiple pairs of LOTR leggings) are so cool! I will probably never stop wearing them. I have a big collection and I probably have the most silly looking ones of all. I mean, black and yellow striped leggings with a huge Hufflepuff crest on the side is kind of out there. =^^=
I love leggings! They are so fun since they are "back in."

Cajungal

Staff member
Letting the season dictate what colors you wear. I understand having your wardrobe organized by fabric weight when it comes to seasons, but not color. Seasons are not the boss of me. I will wear white whenever I want, which is never. But I've actually had people ask why I was wearing a "summery" pink outfit in late fall. I was wearing it because it was 75 degrees outside and it felt awesome. What do I care that it's November?

Wearing white after Labor Day is more manners than style. It was considered rude to flaunt that you could afford servants to do your laundry after celebrating the poor people that labor.

People that earnestly support politicians. I understand the leeches that want a piece of the power; they're just as bad as the politician. I despise politicians (from school board to Washington). I especially don't understand the folks that buy into the "cult of personality" thing. I am so disgusted by all of them and the system that propagates it.

1. Windows 8 "Metro" UI, seriously who the fuck thought this was a good idea, "Oh hey let's make it take 10 times longer to finder the thing you need in Windows, people will love it!!" whoever designed that should be fired and then fired again.

2. Cookie Monster vocals, "oooh, nice guitar/drum work....Rawwrrrwwweeoorrrgrrrowwlll... oh nevermind"

3. Ditto ear gauges, especially the younger ones who don't really take are of them... bleh.

4. Pretty much any fad of the lat 10 years, a benefit/detriment of getting past 50 I guess.

Letting the season dictate what colors you wear. I understand having your wardrobe organized by fabric weight when it comes to seasons, but not color. Seasons are not the boss of me. I will wear white whenever I want, which is never. But I've actually had people ask why I was wearing a "summery" pink outfit in late fall. I was wearing it because it was 75 degrees outside and it felt awesome. What do I care that it's November?
You're in Louisiana, you don't have seasons. You have "Summer, hotter Summer, Hurricane, lesser Summer"

doomdragon6

Staff member
I "get" it, but I hate the Tumblr generation.

I swear to god I'm going to be only following like one or two people on Tumblr soon because the are the only people who don't post shit about being a goddamn trigender plantkin demisexual.

ERGHH, like -I- am a very understanding person! To each their own! But Tumblr PUSHES THAT. You're "demiromantic"? That means you're only romantically attracted to people you've formed a bond with first? GUESS GOD-DICKING-DAMNED WHAT, THAT'S WHAT A ROMANTIC ATTRACTION IS- AGHH

JUST

JESUS

EFF-TURDS.

"I'm genderfluid, which means I identify as a male sometimes, and a female sometimes, or maybe even other genders other times." *froths at the mouth* *twitches*

Oh, you're trigender, which means you identify as 3 genders? Get out.

Don't even get me started on ____kin. Oh, you're rabbit kin? You literally identify as a rabbit? I hope you die.

Last edited:
I "get" it, but I hate the Tumblr generation.

I swear to god I'm going to be only following like one or two people on Tumblr soon because the are the only people who doesn't post shit about being a goddamn trigender plantkin demisexual.

ERGHH, like -I- am a very understanding person! To each their own! But Tumblr PUSHES THAT. You're "demiromantic"? That means you're only romantically attracted to people you've formed a bond with first? GUESS GOD-DICKING-DAMNED WHAT, THAT'S WHAT A ROMANTIC ATTRACTION IS- AGHH

JUST

JESUS

EFF-TURDS.

"I'm genderfluid, which means I identify as a male sometimes, and a female sometimes, or maybe even other genders other times." *froths at the mouth* *twitches*

Oh, you're trigender, which means you identify as 3 genders? Get out.

Don't even get me started on ____kin. Oh, you're rabbit kin? You literally identify as a rabbit? I hope you die.

There's acceptance and tolerance, and then there's rabbit-kin.

What about change for no apparent reason? Some sites seem to change on a whim, changes which usually make them more difficult to use. My own pet hate is Flickr, which is now so difficult (For me that is, it might be an age thing!) that I seldom go there now.
If the change makes it more difficult, then that is something that hurts people who utilize the site. Rather than people constantly complaining and yet continuing to use the site, finding an alternative that is easier/better to use would make more sense to me.

IMO, whether it's a person, a company, a product or a website there is always a reason for change, even that reason is not obvious.

multiple blade razors
Two should be enough for anybody.

I don't get why certain foods are only appropriate for certain times of day.
"Oh, I can't eat pizza right now, it's breakfast time." Pizza makes an entirely serviceable breakfast thenkyewverymuch, pass it on down here if you don't want any.
"Cereal for dinner?" Yes cereal for dinner I'm equal parts hungry and lazy and I don't want to wash extra dishes *CRNCH* *CRNCH*

--Patrick

"Oh, I can't eat pizza right now, it's breakfast time." Pizza makes an entirely serviceable breakfast thenkyewverymuch, pass it on down here if you don't want any.
"Cereal for dinner?" Yes cereal for dinner I'm equal parts hungry and lazy and I don't want to wash extra dishes *CRNCH* *CRNCH*

--Patrick
When I was little I used to eat tuna salad for breakfast. My mom would make a sandwich for my dad and I'd eat the leftovers because I wanted the tuna instead of raisin bran. When I got older, and worked midnight shifts, I used to get up and eat cold Chinese food or leftover pizza. People thought it was weird, but I'd always tell them, "Your stomach doesn't know what time of day it is. You do."

--Patrick
That's me! It isn't rational. It is preference, though, and it is probably trained in large part. I also eat the servings in order, finishing veggies before eating the meat, etc.

I definitely delineate 'food times,' but after midnight, it makes no difference. I'm tired and hungry, so whatever food requires the least effort is the one I will eat.

I don't get people who don't buy tissues. Does your nose never run?

--Patrick
With exceptions for physical discomfort or how food effects you. Eating something really spicy or greasy that gives you heartburn in the middle of the day is a slight inconvenience. Eating that same thing after 10 and being unable to sleep due to heartburn is a considerably greater inconvenience.