Things you just don't get

Cajungal

Staff member
I "get" it, but I hate the Tumblr generation.

I swear to god I'm going to be only following like one or two people on Tumblr soon because the are the only people who don't post shit about being a goddamn trigender plantkin demisexual.

ERGHH, like -I- am a very understanding person! To each their own! But Tumblr PUSHES THAT. You're "demiromantic"? That means you're only romantically attracted to people you've formed a bond with first? GUESS GOD-DICKING-DAMNED WHAT, THAT'S WHAT A ROMANTIC ATTRACTION IS- AGHH

JUST

JESUS

EFF-TURDS.

"I'm genderfluid, which means I identify as a male sometimes, and a female sometimes, or maybe even other genders other times." *froths at the mouth* *twitches*

Oh, you're trigender, which means you identify as 3 genders? Get out.

Don't even get me started on ____kin. Oh, you're rabbit kin? You literally identify as a rabbit? I hope you die.
I am a really tolerant person as well, but I must admit I get tired of people who are a little too precious about their identities. I'm in favor of messages of tolerance for people who live lives that are considered unorthodox, as long as they're not out to harm anyone. I don't care what you do; I just don't want to read about it for 3 hours. I'm very busy.

All these little new sects of people feels very much like a common classroom situation. I praise a child for doing something good. Maybe they get a sticker. Now everyone wants stickers. Except in this case it's 17-18-year-olds glamorizing the idea of being an outcast or 'different'. Not all of them, but you get it.

If someone is bullied or hurt because of however they identify, it's always wrong. But some of these things seem to be people causing a stir where it isn't needed.

But The Meltdown it a real comic book shop with a club on the premises. Sure, it's currently more famous for the comedy club and Nerdist links, but you can still shop for comic related goodness.
Oh, okay. My mistake on that one - all I ever saw was the comedy club and terrible performers.

Extravagant weddings are entirely due to involving too many people in planning a wedding and too much emphasis on the spectacle. One of my mom's coworkers took out a second mortgage to pay for their child's wedding - that's completely insane. You basically need a fairly short list of things for a wedding: a partner that you want to spend the rest of your life (ideally) with, a date, a location, a ring, a dress, some witnesses, and someone to perform the ceremony. That's really it. Everything else is just add-ons. And too many of those are due to hiring someone to make arrangements for you, who then have to make sure their network of people - florists, caterers, decorators, photographers, etc - all get a piece.

My friends John and Ruth are getting married next weekend. This is the second marriage for each, they're both over 45, so they're not making a big deal out of it. They're going to see a justice of the peace with their surviving parents in attendance and two or three close family friends, going out to lunch, having a honeymoon weekend, and that's it. Then for their 1 year anniversary, they'll be throwing a big picnic / outdoor party for all their friends.

Last edited:

fade

Staff member
I am a really tolerant person as well, but I must admit I get tired of people who are a little too precious about their identities. I'm in favor of messages of tolerance for people who live lives that are considered unorthodox, as long as they're not out to harm anyone. I don't care what you do; I just don't want to read about it for 3 hours. I'm very busy.

All these little new sects of people feels very much like a common classroom situation. I praise a child for doing something good. Maybe they get a sticker. Now everyone wants stickers. Except in this case it's 17-18-year-olds glamorizing the idea of being an outcast or 'different'. Not all of them, but you get it.

If someone is bullied or hurt because of however they identify, it's always wrong. But some of these things seem to be people causing a stir where it isn't needed.
There are a lot of 800 lb gorillas in the room when it comes to tolerance. And a lot of stuff we haven't figured out yet. We're in the cautious phase now. Not to imply that tolerance shouldn't go all around.

The other thing about tolerance that some people seem to forget is that it doesn't mean "like" or "agree with". I really dislike carrots, but I could not care less if you eat them. That's tolerance. "It's so precious-sweet that you like carrots, and I should feel horrible for not liking them, here's a reward for liking them in fact" is not tolerance.

I try and be tolerant, but otherkin is just over the line with me. "I self-identify as a reincarnated videogame character"* - nope, sorry, fuck you. That's all I'll ever be thinking for the duration of any interaction I ever have with you. Well, that and a real concern about mental illness. And don't even get me started on the "transabled" thing.

*-Yes, I've seen that one.

Do you mean BIID? Yeah, that's a weird one... but it's hardly new. Hell, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines had such a character in it. I also remember it being a thing on Nip/Tuck once.

Otherkin is only weird because now people are claiming stuff like being reborn fictional characters from stuff made in their lifetime. Compared to them, the plain old therians are absolutely lucid.

People who abandon animals. Not "take them to the pound", just straight up dump them on the side of the road and expect them to fend for themselves. I want to take a crowbar to people who do that.
That's how we got our Sid and our Rudy and possibly two of our other cats. A pet is a commitment and the fact that it can mean so little to some people makes me wild.

I think the little ear gauges are interesting...not for me...but ok. I don't get the massive ones big enough to hang your headphones through.

I don't get pumpkin pie. It's ew.

Do you mean BIID? Yeah, that's a weird one... but it's hardly new. Hell, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines had such a character in it. I also remember it being a thing on Nip/Tuck once.

Otherkin is only weird because now people are claiming stuff like being reborn fictional characters from stuff made in their lifetime. Compared to them, the plain old therians are absolutely lucid.
No, this isn't someone who wants to amputate a perfectly functional limb because, in their mind, that's how they should be (Body Integrity Identity Disorder).

No, "transabled" are people on tumblr who, despite not having any loss of function or medically diagnosed disability, self-identify as physically disabled. Hence the "trans". And if you tell them you consider that to be bullshit, they label you as being "transphobic".

Alright, I'm not exactly an expert on trans/cis spectrum, I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, I know there's a lot I don't know about the human condition. But fucking really? For fuck's sake, really?

No, this isn't someone who wants to amputate a perfectly functional limb because, in their mind, that's how they should be (Body Integrity Identity Disorder).

No, "transabled" are people on tumblr who, despite not having any loss of function or medically diagnosed disability, self-identify as physically disabled. Hence the "trans". And if you tell them you consider that to be bullshit, they label you as being "transphobic".

Alright, I'm not exactly an expert on trans/cis spectrum, I'm not a psychologist or psychiatrist, I know there's a lot I don't know about the human condition. But fucking really? For fuck's sake, really?
At the end of the day, everyone is apparently a horrible bigot.

I think it's just part of "special snowflake" syndrome, or needing an excuse for having a mediocre life. "Well, you don't understand my struggle!" And you know, that's true. I fucking don't. I absofuckinglutely don't.

From that Kyriarchy thing site triggers: "Anything that might inspire intrusive thoughts in people with OCD"

Ever seen Mr Monk? Better don't post anything any longer.
Oh the humanity...

OOH, the channel change, that can either be really good for a show or really bad. I hope the latter, as this show while occasionally funny has almost zero character.
Yeah... I'm assuming we're getting something new on Sundays this year snce American Dad is switching to TBS. Right now it's Simpsons, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers (which is fantastic). They need one more.

Yeah... I'm assuming we're getting something new on Sundays this year snce American Dad is switching to TBS. Right now it's Simpsons, Family Guy, and Bob's Burgers (which is fantastic). They need one more.
Right right, I wonder how many failed animated sitcoms there'll be this time before one sticks in that slot? I bet six.

And I am glad they switched it from 7:30 to 9:30! Seriously 7:30 for new shows is a damn death slot. My apologies to any fans of Mulaney...not for the schedule take over, just that you were fans of Mulaney. POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR man's Signfeld.

And I am glad they switched it from 7:30 to 9:30! Seriously 7:30 for new shows is a damn death slot. My apologies to any fans of Mulaney...not for the schedule take over, just that you were fans of Mulaney. POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR man's Signfeld.
I like John Mulaney. I think he has a distinctive humor style and isn't like Seinfeld at all.