TIL: Today I Learned

Fun fact: one side of State Line Ave is wet (liquor sales) and one side is dry (no liquor sales). Texas is the dry side.
I love quirks like this. There's a town that straddles Alberta and Saskatchewan, called Lloydminster. The drinking age is 18 in AB, but 19 in SK, so guess which side of town the kids love. It's also messy for DST - SK doesn't observe it, but AB does. The whole town of Lloydminster does, but if you work outside of town in SK, you are in a different time zone at home than at work. I can only imagine how late/early people sometimes are on those time switch days.

I love quirks like this. There's a town that straddles Alberta and Saskatchewan, called Lloydminster. The drinking age is 18 in AB, but 19 in SK, so guess which side of town the kids love. It's also messy for DST - SK doesn't observe it, but AB does. The whole town of Lloydminster does, but if you work outside of town in SK, you are in a different time zone at home than at work. I can only imagine how late/early people sometimes are on those time switch days.
My sister used to live in Alabama, very close to the divider between the Eastern and Central time zones. She knew a number of people who lived on one side and worked on the other. Their solution was to just live on work time. Set every clock in your house to the time zone your work is in and you avoid all those issues.

You then just have to deal with converting for everything else in your life, but nothing's perfect.

Believe it or not, there are parts of Arizona that do observe Daylight Saving Time - mostly in the Navajo Nation. It can get a bit interesting if you're trying to get to someplace that's on NA land and it's closed because the hours are off.

Believe it or not, there are parts of Arizona that do observe Daylight Saving Time - mostly in the Navajo Nation. It can get a bit interesting if you're trying to get to someplace that's on NA land and it's closed because the hours are off.
I've heard you can drive a 30 min stretch of highway that passes through different NA land and bounce between timezones 4 times in Arizona

I am curious about the events that necessitated enshrining this requirement in law.
Ugh, that's such a wood monkey thing to say, honestly, why do we even allow your kind on here?
Post automatically merged:

(wait, does it differentiate between Western and Chinese horoscope? I kind of assumed in Taiwan the Chinese zodaic would be more prevalent)

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL that in "Poker Face," Lady Gaga since admitted that the actual lyrics to the post-chorus she sings are "pa pa pa poker face pa pa fuck her face" and only one radio station caught it and censored it. Everybody else played it over and over and over.

TIL that in "Poker Face," Lady Gaga since admitted that the actual lyrics to the post-chorus she sings are "pa pa pa poker face pa pa fuck her face" and only one radio station caught it and censored it. Everybody else played it over and over and over.

Huh. Now I hear it.

I'm pretty sure that in Bang Bang, Niki Minaj spells "Gang Bang" (fast forward to 2:55...the board doesn't let me embed time codes)

Last edited:

I mean, this is the same song people thought the lyrics were, "Cherry pie/cherry pie/no you can't read my Poker Face", soooooo not that shocking.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, this is the same song people thought the lyrics were, "Cherry pie/cherry pie/no you can't read my Poker Face", soooooo not that shocking.
I never had problem discerning "can't read my" but maybe that's just because the context was so obvious. I didn't catch the "fuck her face" part.

Besides, these days singers are WAY less intelligible. I'm still not sure I've got all the words figured out for "Dance Monkey" by Tones and I.

"And when you're done, I'll make you doobie dabba day-ay! Auugh ahh day!"

I never had problem discerning "can't read my" but maybe that's just because the context was so obvious. I didn't catch the "fuck her face" part.

Besides, these days singers are WAY less intelligible. I'm still not sure I've got all the words figured out for "Dance Monkey" by Tones and I.

"And when you're done, I'll make you doobie dabba day-ay! Auugh ahh day!"
"Do it all again", in case you really didn't know :-P