TIL: Today I Learned

Besides, these days singers are WAY less intelligible.
I'll take your "these days" and raise you a:

The Kingsmen's recording was the subject of an FBI investigation about the supposed, but nonexistent, obscenity of the lyrics that ended without prosecution. The nearly unintelligible (and innocuous) lyrics were widely misinterpreted, and the song was banned by radio stations as well as being investigated by the FBI.
;) But yeah, there are a lot of songs that I can't tell what the word/words are. I can't tell if it's poor singing pratices, poor music structure, or just too awkward lyrics that cause them to be mumbled.

GasBandit

Staff member
True, I guess. But I also hear "do it all again" when I listen :)
And it's not just that line. For the longest time I had an internal debate whether she was saying "You know you make me make me make me wanna cry/try" because her phonemes really ARE all over the place.

I'll take your "these days" and raise you the Kingsmen
I heard a radio segment on NPR back in the day that revealed to me that the Kingsmen version was not the original version. The original author, Richard Berry, had a perfectly intelligible version of it. I don't know if the FBI thought the Kingsmen were changing the lyrics or what, but clearly the original song as written was just as innocuous as the jibberish version.

I can't tell if it's poor singing pratices, poor music structure, or just too awkward lyrics that cause them to be mumbled.
I've heard people saying that the trend in movies has been moving away from ensuring intelligibility of dialogue in order to prioritize the rest of the sound design. I don't know whether that's more the Loudness War at work, or just the overall civilizational shift towards appealing to emotion rather than reason.

--Patrick

And it's not just that line. For the longest time I had an internal debate whether she was saying "You know you make me make me make me wanna cry/try" because her phonemes really ARE all over the place.

I heard a radio segment on NPR back in the day that revealed to me that the Kingsmen version was not the original version. The original author, Richard Berry, had a perfectly intelligible version of it. I don't know if the FBI thought the Kingsmen were changing the lyrics or what, but clearly the original song as written was just as innocuous as the jibberish version.

Subject to interpretation...

TIL that in golf getting the ball in the hole from outside the green is called a "Ferret" & holing it from a bunker is called a "Golden Ferret". This has left me with the frankly terrifying image of a doomie going Super Saiyan. :hide:

TIL that in golf getting the ball in the hole from outside the green is called a "Ferret" & holing it from a bunker is called a "Golden Ferret". This has left me with the frankly terrifying image of a doomie going Super Saiyan. :hide:
Well, yeah, that's how Queens are made in Weaselkind. It's like feeding royal jelly to a larvae with bees.

TIL that 671 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, Illinois was the real shooting location for a certain pair of movies featuring Macauley Culkin - and that the address was shown briefly on the luggage tags of the suitcase Culkin's character had when he was being checked in to the hotel in New York City.

What I also learned was that the Google Street View of the address is... interesting.

anyone can request street view blur out their house. My mom did it with her house, because she said she ran across the button and said "gee, I wonder how that works."

But I'm pretty sure that's a lie :) The older she gets, the more certain she becomes that everyone is trying to track her for nefarious purposes. It's kind of sad.

The difference between Street View and map view in Google Earth is jarring. In one part of town, Street View is relatively up-to-date, but the map view of the same block is ancient. That pizza place burned down six years ago. And there *is* a ballpark right here now.

Dave

Staff member
The difference between Street View and map view in Google Earth is jarring. In one part of town, Street View is relatively up-to-date, but the map view of the same block is ancient. That pizza place burned down six years ago. And there *is* a ballpark right here now.
I was playing GeoGuessr the other night and I started in a German town. Off to my left was a cordoned-off construction site. I took ONE STEP and suddenly I was in the middle of a vast apartment complex. Building had sprung up out of seemingly nowhere. It was really kind of cool to go back & forth & see the changes.

TIL that the following sequence means more than just a bunch of numbers.

5454 16102 15217 22801

It is the phonetic spelling of AR IZ ON A from the Zimmerman Telegram of 1917.

That telegram, intercepted by British codebreakers in early 1917, was sent by the German foreign ministry to Mexico, encouraging them to enter the war on their side - with the promise of returning the "lost" territories of Texas, New Mexico, and "ARIZONA" to them.

The cipher was spelled out because German cryptographers did not have a code for ARIZONA - since it was only recently admitted as a state five years earlier.

The real message of the telegram was that Germany was planning on unlimited sub warfare in the Atlantic, and the move was a desperation attempt at keeping the US "distracted" by Mexico.

Only problem: Mexico was in the middle of a Civil War at the time, and probably wouldn't have been able to muster much of a threat to America. (And had it happened, it's likely I wouldn't be living on a border state, as the US probably would have walked in to Mexico and picked up most of the territory of Northern Mexico.)

But, put simply: 5454 = AR, 16102 = IZ, 15217 = ON, and 22801 = A.

Blame Extra Credits History on YT for this one.

Today (yesterday) I learned I cannot get hominy anywhere nearby. Never used to be a problem the few times I wanted it for recipes. Now it's like it never existed.

TIL, the ibuprofen I've been taking expired 3 years ago...which explains why my foot pain didn't feel much better any time I took it.

From what I read it usually takes 4 years to lose it's potency, early bloomer I guess.

TIL, the ibuprofen I've been taking expired 3 years ago...which explains why my foot pain didn't feel much better any time I took it.

From what I read it usually takes 4 years to lose it's potency, early bloomer I guess.
Just wanted to check -- your foot pain isn't localized to your big toe joint, correct?

Any chance it could be gout?
That's what I thought it was at first , but thankfully no, just a repetitive stress injury that gives out similar pain. I kinda burnt the candle at both ends a month ago without rest, doing both cycling and gardening, and low and behold hurt foot.

That's what I thought it was at first , but thankfully no, just a repetitive stress injury that gives out similar pain. I kinda burnt the candle at both ends a month ago without rest, doing both cycling and gardening, and low and behold hurt foot.
I'm glad you checked. Gout is very painful and also eminently treatable.

I'm glad you checked. Gout is very painful and also eminently treatable.
Straight up, I knew getting a second opinion was the way to go as WELL-my first doctor didn't even administer a blood test, just looked at the foot and said the first thing he thought. And said healthcare, STILL cost me 400 dollars, HAHA-I hate the world.