[Brazelton] Twitter

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't there be a manual override system for exacly these typ of situations? And why isn't it possible to use a normal key to open the doors?
There probably are, but it sounds like they fired everyone who knew anything about it.

GasBandit

Staff member
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

All he had to do to make money off of Twitter was DO NOTHING.
Actually, the nature of how he bought Twitter doomed him. Because he used his Tesla stock as leveraged collateral for a loan, Twitter, which at this point was now only just barely starting to make a tiniest bit of profit, now had to start making monster profits to pay down the note.

Actually, the nature of how he bought Twitter doomed him. Because he used his Tesla stock as leveraged collateral for a loan, Twitter, which at this point was now only just barely starting to make a tiniest bit of profit, now had to start making monster profits to pay down the note.
Exactly. It may be hard to realize but technically Twitter is billions in debt right now. As soon as Musk purchased it and made it a private business again, the company inherited the debt he took out to purchase it. This is why he's been firing so many people and attempting a subscription service, Twitter as it was would never be able to pay back that debt.

Turns out all those random word salad job title folks were actually doing stuff?! Who knew?
Makes me wonder how many skeletons of the sort his other companies have in their closets, though.

Musk never wanted to buy Twitter. He was trying to fuck around and manipulate markets, aka the only thing he knows how to do, but because he's so bad at this he couldn't get out of his original agreement to purchase, which was always a lie. The only reason he went through with it was to stop the lawsuit, with would have gone into further investigation about where his money is and who's been paying him off, which apparently he decided was worth 44 billion not to come out, meaning it has to be really bad

GasBandit

Staff member
Nothing like getting off work and opening up Twitter to hopefully enjoy some AEW tweets and jokes and such and it's the fucking apocalypse.

Real bummer.

I will miss Twitter.

It's just you and me Halforums. You're my last social media stone I have left. No facebook, instagram, etc. Twitter going away. A total aversion to actually using Discord.
Have you looked into Mastodon? I've been hearing positive buzz about it.

Have you looked into Mastodon? I've been hearing positive buzz about it.
I can't really say how it is now but back when I tried it out it wasn't really a Twitter alternative. It reminded me more of something like Reddit with a lot of various social channels that you can join. Some of them were let's just say very questionable.

Again this may have changed, but part of what makes Twitter successful is that it's all in one, there isn't this segregation of users or extra work trying to find a community to join just even start. You make an account and the algorithm kind of pulls what you likely want to see from the massive pot, which is kind of what makes Twitter successful.

I'm definitely going to look into it again though just as a backup for my own needs.

Well, there's a reason why I work in a school district and am not a business person making business decisions about business.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, there's a reason why I work in a school district and am not a business person making business decisions about business.
I mean, it's understandable. The only reason I'm familiar with the arrangement is because the same thing literally happened to me - the radio station I worked for was making a modest profit until 2007 when a Professional Flipper bought us with a big stupid loan. His business model was to take out a loan, buy a business, make a few curb appeal improvements, then sell it again for a profit.

Problem was, he bought us in 2007... then 2008 happened, and nobody wadn't buyin' nothin' no how. And the modest profits the station was making before he bought it were not enough to cover his note - also because written into some clause of the loan was he had to show the bank X profits each year he owned it.

So then came a massive round of layoffs and cost-cutting measures and hare-brained quick profit schemes... and I rode all of it along for 12 years because it was a low-effort (but also low-paying) position for me to be in that let me basically get paid to post on halforums all day. He couldn't lay me off because I was the only tech guy in the whole building. But that just kept the jackals barely at bay - and the longer everything dragged out, the more it increased the amount he'd have to sell the station for to not still be underwater on his loan.

Finally I knew the money had run out when he sold the radio station's tower, and rented it back from the company he sold it to. I'd already gotten accidentally CC'd on a couple e-mails over the previous 2 years that revealed he'd (twice) taken out lines of credit to make payroll. So third strike and I was looking for a parachute.

So I left in 2019, fully expecting them to go under within 2 years. Then COVID happened, and from what I can tell (and what I hear from people on the inside) it's been kept afloat until now by PPP loan fraud (take the PPP loan, get it forgiven despite having laid off people when PPP is supposed to freeze your employment roster, etc).

So at some point I expect the piper is REALLY going to come calling at that place.

I can't really say how it is now but back when I tried it out it wasn't really a Twitter alternative. It reminded me more of something like Reddit with a lot of various social channels that you can join. Some of them were let's just say very questionable.

Again this may have changed, but part of what makes Twitter successful is that it's all in one, there isn't this segregation of users or extra work trying to find a community to join just even start. You make an account and the algorithm kind of pulls what you likely want to see from the massive pot, which is kind of what makes Twitter successful.

I'm definitely going to look into it again though just as a backup for my own needs.
It seems a bit more like a cross between Twitter and discord to me. The fact that not everyone is on the same server means it will probably never be a Twitter replacement.

Mastodon is at the mercy of whoever's modding the servers. They can even read your DMs. Mastodon will never be a Twitter alternative.

It becoming popular will not be safe for MANY people.

Call me old fashioned but shouldn't there be a manual override system for exacly these typ of situations?
Sensibly designed garages have an exit button you can press from the inside that lets you, well, exit regardless of time of day, badge status, etc.

—Patrick

Mastodon is at the mercy of whoever's modding the servers. They can even read your DMs. Mastodon will never be a Twitter alternative.

It becoming popular will not be safe for MANY people.
cohost! is another option that several twitch streamers, youtubers, and vtubers are looking at but it's getting hammered with people looking to join too. Tumblr is getting popular again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Reminds me of the gripes about remote schooling from 2 years ago. "Every school's remote school instructions are like download the lesson plan from Fleeble and connect to Honnabon to join the class with your Sneakle key, then get the homework from the Silla drive, and when you're done, upload it to Kreeple."

Reminds me of the gripes about remote schooling from 2 years ago. "Every school's remote school instructions are like download the lesson plan from Fleeble and connect to Honnabon to join the class with your Sneakle key, then get the homework from the Silla drive, and when you're done, upload it to Kreeple."
This closely mirrors the level of instruction teachers got on how to run remote classes. We were as confused as anyone half the time.