Valheim

1617837348146.jpeg

Well really that’s the usual reason for not having Mac (or Linux) versions of most stuff. But you kinda expect anything described as “indie” is not gonna have a big enough development team to cover multiple platforms.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Patch today - noteworthy: a new terrain modification system. If you have existing terraforming, you'll need to convert it with a console command. You don't have to be an admin to use that console command (or any, really).

That said, I didn't see an FPS or load time improvement at my house after using the command, so, ymmv.

GasBandit

Staff member
We're still all waiting for new content with bated breath... meanwhile, Worst Premade Ever has put out a Valheim video (finally).

GasBandit

Staff member
I just checked to make sure the Valheim server was current (it is), and noticed right now you're allowed to build maypoles. Usually they only do that as a temporary thing, so if you were thinking you might ever come back to this, you might want to log in just long enough to build a maypole. It just takes regular wood, dandelions, and thistles.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hearth and Home update is live. Server is updated.

Patch 0.202.14 (HEARTH & HOME)
General improvements

* Weapons rebalanced (All weapons have been rebalanced to be more viable as main weapon and also have more unique playstyles)
* Blocking system overhauled (Current maximum hp now greatly affects your ability to block attacks, stagger bar gui added)
* Naming tamed creatures
* Gamepad sensitivity settings
* Auto-pickup toggle button added
* Graphics settings (Active point lights & Active point light shadows)
* Tamed creatures affected by friendly fire setting (i.e you can’t hurt a tamed creature unless you enable friendly fire or use the new Butcher knife item)
* Various other improvements and bugfixes

Food

* Food rebalance (Most food items now give mainly stamina or mainly health to make food choices more interesting)
* Food GUI overhauled to work better with the rebalanced food
* Over 10 new things to eat (Actually 12)

World

* Tamed Lox now have a purpose
* Slimy locations & creatures added to plains
* New plantable seeds: Birch, Oak & Onions

Items

* New weapons: Crystal battleaxe, Silver knife
* New shields: Bone tower shield, Iron buckler
* Butcher knife (Special weapon for butchering tamed animals)
* Thunder stone (Sold by trader)
* Lox accessory

Building

* New Darkwood building pieces like shingle roofs, beams, decorations and more
* New types of furniture, including but not limited to a mighty stone throne and a steamy viking hot tub
* Crystal walls
* New types of stacks to show off your treasure and resources
* Cauldron improvements: Spice rack, Butcher’s table, Pots and pans
* Cartography table (For sharing map-data with other players)
* Oven added (For baking bread and pie)
* Obliterator added (Items be gone)
* Iron cooking station (Required to cook some types of meat)

That's a lot more than I expected to be included in the update (rebalancing of weapons sounds pretty interesting!), but I don't think it's enough to go back and play more. Hopefully they've got their workflow sorted and enough bugs solved that future updates come a bit more quickly.

GasBandit

Staff member
Unfortunately a lot of the new items to be built require tar, a new resource that spawns from creatures in Tar Pits, which are new set pieces that show up in Plains biomes.... but not in any already-generated areas. So, the existing map on the server needs a LOT of new exploration to find some tar pits, because all the exploration we've done has kinda boned us in that regard.

I guess it'd also be an option to farm tar in another map (like a single player game, or a separately hosted game) and then bring it back to this server.

Last edited:
Unfortunately a lot of the new items to be built require tar, a new resource that spawns from creatures in Tar Pits, which are new set pieces that show up in Plains biomes.... but not in any already-generated areas. So, the existing map on the server needs a LOT of new exploration to find some tar pits, because all the exploration we've done has kinda boned us in that regard.

I guess it'd also be an option to farm tar in another map (like a single player game, or a separately hosted game) and then bring it back to this server.
I mean, devs did say they wanted people to restart.

GasBandit

Staff member
Server's rebooted running a fresh map. Did you enjoy having a nice house? Because now you don't :p (neither do I, I didn't even load up on supplies before I pulled the trigger)

GasBandit

Staff member
It wouldn't have been fair for me to load up on all my possessions when nobody else got the chance to do so.

If there's enough desire, I can reboot the server running the old map and everybody can load up, and then I can switch to the new one again. But there's something to be said for a fresh start, even if it's in a character with all the recipes unlocked and high level skills.

GasBandit

Staff member
Emrys and I have already started thing in motion on the new map.

This time around, I'd like to suggest that instead of separating and each building our own thing in miles-apart locations, maybe we should try to stick together and share resources. There's no real reason for us to have to strip-mine the entire world to supply 5 different forge setups and whatnot, when really one will do.

Of course, if everybody wants their own "living quarters" or house or whatever, more the merrier - but I think we'd all be better off if we consolidate our workshop into one location. And since we're starting out with the ability to make portals and whatever, you can still have a house in your favorite scenic location and whatnot.

There's an interesting wrinkle, too - Eikthyr's on the other side of a body of water that needs a boat to cross. Fortunately we have the wherewithal to build one, as our characters have the equipment and recipes from before still.

Looks like we need to get our own place this time. ;)
Hey, I bought you fair and square!

Emrys and I have already started thing in motion on the new map.

This time around, I'd like to suggest that instead of separating and each building our own thing in miles-apart locations, maybe we should try to stick together and share resources. There's no real reason for us to have to strip-mine the entire world to supply 5 different forge setups and whatnot, when really one will do.

Of course, if everybody wants their own "living quarters" or house or whatever, more the merrier - but I think we'd all be better off if we consolidate our workshop into one location. And since we're starting out with the ability to make portals and whatever, you can still have a house in your favorite scenic location and whatnot.

There's an interesting wrinkle, too - Eikthyr's on the other side of a body of water that needs a boat to cross. Fortunately we have the wherewithal to build one, as our characters have the equipment and recipes from before still.

Hey, I bought you fair and square!
Just make sure there is plenty of room. I have plans.