Video Game News and Miscellany

Please tell me that No Man's Sky thing will be playable single player. That looks like the game I want to play the most - by far - out of everything I've heard or seen for 2013, 2014 and 2015 combined.

Please tell me that No Man's Sky thing will be playable single player. That looks like the game I want to play the most - by far - out of everything I've heard or seen for 2013, 2014 and 2015 combined.
I've heard it's an MMO, but I'm not 100% sure.

GOG.com is introducing a new not-satisfied-money-back deal. You can get a refund, no questions asked, on any game up until 14 days after buying it IF it hasn't been downloaded yet, OR, if it doesn't work on your rig, should, according to their compatibility list, after their tech support has tried to help you, until 30 days after purchase.

Sounds horribly abusable, but we'll see. I like it.

GOG.com is introducing a new not-satisfied-money-back deal. You can get a refund, no questions asked, on any game up until 14 days after buying it IF it hasn't been downloaded yet, OR, if it doesn't work on your rig, should, according to their compatibility list, after their tech support has tried to help you, until 30 days after purchase.

Sounds horribly abusable, but we'll see. I like it.

Well, it's abusable in that the games are DRM free, so there's nothing stopping you from buying a game, keeping a working copy of it, and then just saying you can't get it to run and go through the tech support process to get it refunded.

But at the same time, the games are also DRM free... so if you wanted to do that, you could just pirate it without the hassle.

Found this article on No Man's Sky.

Regarding the single/multi-player issue, I think these are the relevant passages (emphasis mine):

Any planet you discover on your journey is marked on your galactic map, along with its name, its atmosphere and what resources you found there. If you choose to, you can then share that information with every other player, uploading it so that it’s shared across everyone’s galactic map.

You’ll get credit for discovering it. You’ll also, if the materials there are valuable, attract players to come visit. No Man’s Sky isn’t a multiplayer game, in as much as you’ll never see another player. But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.

That means you might want to keep quiet about a planet of valuable resources, so others don’t come and deplete it. I also instantly start thinking of ways to be devious. Can I upload false information to the galactic map? Can I lure people to a system full of pirates and then, when their ships crash and burn, steal materials from their ghostly hulls?

It’s a singleplayer experience, but one enriched by a community playing with shared purpose.

It’s your ship which defines how quickly you can progress between solar systems, so losing it would be a big blow. But if you’re lucky, you might crash land on a planet full of useful resources. “You perhaps find things that you can’t even make use of at the time and earmark that for yourself or your friends to cooperate with you to build yourself back up.”
So, it sounds like it's a single player experience, but the actions you take in your game can be uploaded into everyone else's game, and it'll affect their games too. I think I'd be ok with this.

Last edited:
Nintendo's launched a new update for 3DS that links Nintendo Network ID with the Wii U (or you can make a new one). You have to have one on your 3DS now to use the eshop and download demos, according to the update info. I can't tell otherwise because the eshop is down and I can't get the next part of this update due to server load.

Miiverse is also added, but only a few communities are up.

I'm glad the eshop accounts are linked. With a deluxe Wii U, I get an extra $5 for every $50 I add, so any credit I want to use on my 3DS, I'll now throw on my Wii U first for points.

Nintendo's launched a new update for 3DS that links Nintendo Network ID with the Wii U (or you can make a new one). You have to have one on your 3DS now to use the eshop and download demos, according to the update info. I can't tell otherwise because the eshop is down and I can't get the next part of this update due to server load.

Miiverse is also added, but only a few communities are up.

I'm glad the eshop accounts are linked. With a deluxe Wii U, I get an extra $5 for every $50 I add, so any credit I want to use on my 3DS, I'll now throw on my Wii U first for points.
Unfortunately it's $5 for every $50 spent, not just added to your account, so your plan won't quite work.

I'm just glad I don't have to deliberate on where to put my money when someone gives me an eShop cash card. Earlier this year I put a ton on my Wii U and then the only things I wanted to download were on the 3DS.

Unfortunately it's $5 for every $50 spent, not just added to your account, so your plan won't quite work.

I'm just glad I don't have to deliberate on where to put my money when someone gives me an eShop cash card. Earlier this year I put a ton on my Wii U and then the only things I wanted to download were on the 3DS.
Crap, so I'd have to spend it on Wii U games? But there aren't any! :p

More good stuff in this update--3DS transfer limits are gone. You can move your stuff from system to system as many times as you want. Now I kinda wish we hadn't sold the extra we had; it would've made a handy backup for whenever one needed to be sent in for repairs.

My only irritation with this is that I don't want my 7 year old daughter to have a Nintendo Network account. I find it irritating that it will be required to use the eshop. Could I just use mine or would that fuck up us buying the same game digitally?

My only irritation with this is that I don't want my 7 year old daughter to have a Nintendo Network account. I find it irritating that it will be required to use the eshop. Could I just use mine or would that fuck up us buying the same game digitally?
It wouldn't even let you register it for more than one 3DS. I don't think having the account is a big deal since you can set it up and make it so the password doesn't have to be inputted. In that sense, she wouldn't even know there was a difference aside from the Miiverse icon in the upper right corner. The parental controls can also restrict access to Miiverse or any account-related stuff.

That said, I'm not 100% certain you have to have it to use the eshop--that's just something I read. No one can confirm or deny this because the eshop has been down all day. Hopefully Nintendo will not make it a requirement for just buying stuff, because that's going to kill some of the 3DS's user-friendliness.[DOUBLEPOST=1386701690,1386701571][/DOUBLEPOST]More news! Club Nintendo is now offering Wii U VC games instead of Wii games. The downside is that December's offerings aren't that great.

Fuck yeah. The formerly Project Eternity has a trailer. It looks old school as FUUUUUUCK. In the best way possible.

NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.
That made me laugh.

It's like any gigantic forum, it has it's issues but it takes forever to get an account there and they will permban you at the drop of a hat if posters aren't civil to each other.

Glad I KS'ed that. Looks great.
I especially like (though I doubt it'll survive that way) that all the SFX are as toned down. No unnecessary lights and bloom and flying crap everywhere.

This guy talks about it.

Basically the big corps are stomping down on the monetization of people doing let's plays and video walkthroughs and all that jazz that youtubers have been making a living off of via advertising.

Are they in the right? Probably. Sure looks bad though. Just more of the wild westness of the internet being brought up into "proper" corporation control.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the whole thing because holy shit it's way too long, but from the snippets I saw it didn't seem like he cared even from the start.

I also liked finding out that Tim Schafer hired Hollywood talent to voice the game he still wants more money for. That's uh, that's something.

That buff Donkey Kong guy was maybe the most embarrassing thing I've ever witnessed and I've watched a guy tripping on gasoline piss and shit himself in the middle of a bank ATM lobby.

Also, those 2.95 hours they didn't show in that awkward compilation, mind numbingly boring.

http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956

So, according to Kotaku, here are some tidbits about Fallout 4, which takes place in Boston for some reason (good, stay out of Black Isle/Obsidian's territory, where Fallout's story actually takes place). Also, apparently no more Ron Perlman, which is cool, it's not like he's been with the series since the beginning.

-Player reads the monologue instead of Ron Perlman
-The Institute (MIT) and The Commonwealth are present
-Male and female player casting still for the people who are for some reason thinking there wouldn't be
-"One script describes a mission in which Garvey sends you to salvage a fusion core from a museum in the Commonwealth."
-"The casting documents describe some of the other characters in the next Fallout's wasteland, like a radio DJ named Travis Miles and an engineer named Sturges who is described as 'a cross between Buddy Holly and Vin Diesel.'"
-You start in a cryogenic sleep chamber

Seriously Bethesda, get Sawyer, Cain and Avelone to at least make the story and systems not fucking garbage.