Video Game News and Miscellany

They're calling it the first gay video game? Have they not played Mount Your Friends? Because it's a pretty fun game.

(insert inevitable pun here)

(insert joke revolving around the word insert)

Does "Ballad of Gay Tony" count? I mean you don't play Gay Tony, but he is a major character in the game.

Also, its at least free to play right? Because if they expect to make money on awful attempt at offensive humor they probably need to sue whatever community college they went to. Nothin' but a poor man's Thrill Kill.

I don't know. It's very cool, but it would be quite hard to make puzzles that are still a challenge, or you'd have to use pretty "barren" levels, or restrict what can be interacted with. Yes, some sort of Portal-like "test chamber" setting might work - but it'd also make it less cool.
Either the puzzles are fairly trivial, or they're fiendishly difficult games of hide-and-go-seek (in a size changing level, should you grow to 50x original size and go looking over the walls, or shrink to 1/50th and find the exit on the bottom of a chess pieve in the corner? How do you tell?). The second could be great fun, but will be more-than-likely completely ruined by the Interwebs.

That said, a game making good use of these mechanics could be great and the next Portal. (as a trend/game type, not as "Portal 3: the Portalling").

Cautiously optimistic.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't know. It's very cool, but it would be quite hard to make puzzles that are still a challenge, or you'd have to use pretty "barren" levels, or restrict what can be interacted with. Yes, some sort of Portal-like "test chamber" setting might work - but it'd also make it less cool.
Either the puzzles are fairly trivial, or they're fiendishly difficult games of hide-and-go-seek (in a size changing level, should you grow to 50x original size and go looking over the walls, or shrink to 1/50th and find the exit on the bottom of a chess pieve in the corner? How do you tell?). The second could be great fun, but will be more-than-likely completely ruined by the Interwebs.

That said, a game making good use of these mechanics could be great and the next Portal. (as a trend/game type, not as "Portal 3: the Portalling").

Cautiously optimistic.
I think the real trick would be to do something other than just "make it to the exit". If they can come up with other objectives, and figure out different ways to limit manipulation of objects (red border objects explode when dropped too hard, maybe), then this could have a lot of potential.

I'm thinking of pre-ordering an Atlus game that isn't Shin Megami Tensei. Really hoping I don't get burned.

Conception II seems fun. Like Persona-lite with a little Fire Emblem Awakening child-soldier making thrown in there.

Club Nintendo rewards update is tomorrow. Will it be trash or treasure? (Or both?)

... I'm betting the former. There were too many good ones near the end of 2013 for them to keep going.

Rust has become EVE to me. The game I don't want to play, but fucking love hearing people talk about or reading their writing about it.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/rust-the-importance-of-being-naked-and-afraid

The Shawn he refers to is definitely Shawn Elliott, formerly of GFW magazine and the best gaming podcast of all time and now currently a dude works for Irrational Games.
I'm really really considering getting this for the sole reason that houses can't be broken into. It gives me a reason to try even if I get slaughtered constantly.

Heh, I wonder if anyone has ever thought to troll burglars in games like that. Put all of your money and resources into your house's security but nothing else. If that's possible. I'm talking making it almost its own dungeon with traps, monsters, etc. Make people think it's something worth breaking into. But then there's NOTHING for them to get. :p

GasBandit

Staff member
The reviews for that game make it really intriguing.

"I love this game, I built a house around a guys house and made him my prisoner, I fed him cans of tuna and cooked chicken when it was available, and some times I would drop in spare logs of wood(when they were available). The best part. he talks to me, keeps telling me his clans going to raid my structure and save him.. I simply respond with .” It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again” and by hose I mean I dump charcoal on him." -Manikin50

"A lot of naked men throwing rocks and trying to survive against zombies, animals and other naked men. " - Starscre4m

"Killed a deer got chicken meat out of it, BEST GAME EVER. 20/10 " -(Dis)Obey the Lawson

The reviews for that game make it really intriguing.

"I love this game, I built a house around a guys house and made him my prisoner, I fed him cans of tuna and cooked chicken when it was available, and some times I would drop in spare logs of wood(when they were available). The best part. he talks to me, keeps telling me his clans going to raid my structure and save him.. I simply respond with .” It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again” and by hose I mean I dump charcoal on him." -Manikin50

"A lot of naked men throwing rocks and trying to survive against zombies, animals and other naked men. " - Starscre4m

"Killed a deer got chicken meat out of it, BEST GAME EVER. 20/10 " -(Dis)Obey the Lawson
Sold.

So, apparently King, makers of Candy Crush, now have a trademark on the word candy in relation to video games and clothing in the USA. The trademark system is completely fucked.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/21/stealing-candy-from-babies-king-embrace-the-aristocracy/
They won't be able to successfully defend it. The term Candy is simply to generic and widespread, so the moment that someone with money decides to fight back King will lose the case and the trademark. It'll be overturned and their trademark will be stripped.

Also, what the fuck is Candy Crush Saga?

They won't be able to successfully defend it. The term Candy is simply to generic and widespread, so the moment that someone with money decides to fight back King will lose the case and the trademark. It'll be overturned and their trademark will be stripped.

The game everyone with a cell phone plays.

GasBandit

Staff member

Candy crush's mobile platform app. It's only "Candy Crush" without the saga if you're playing the short version on their website. If you have the app with multiple levels, jellies, "lives," social media etc, you have Candy Crush Saga.

Pure, uncut evil.

I've been to bars and college parties and yet I've never seen group addiction as bad as Candy Crush. My alcoholic smoker mother can wait until after a conversation to feed those addictions, but not Candy Crushers--they just got another life they didn't have to pay for and goddamn do they gotta use it.