Video Game News and Miscellany

Movement and identification is like AC, but the way the world interacts with your character is so much more. Seeing it in action here, it's as great as what I read about. I was hoping for a release date, but it's probably still early for that.[DOUBLEPOST=1390536710,1390536583][/DOUBLEPOST]

From the articles I read, I doubt that, because the nemesis system is supposed to be the whole point of the game. I don't think they're going to ditch their core system just to do branching convos.
What I mean is that it's not going to be anywhere near as complex or revolutionary as they talk it up as being.[DOUBLEPOST=1390537106][/DOUBLEPOST]And completely on topic, Assassin's Creed 2 lead dev is claiming lifted assets on Shadows of Mordor.

Last edited:
This is a year late in posting, but since I just saw it:

Dave Fennoy (Lee Everett) crying while recording The Walking Dead

I see where he's coming from and why he feels the way he does, I don't think I agree. I think that even though a lot of people don't play all the games they buy on sale, you're still going to reach more eyeballs than if you never do. Especially in the current market.

He's looking for problems where they don't exist. No one is unhappy with how this works, except maybe the big publishers who fucking loathe having to sell even one copy of a game for less than 60 bucks plus about another 100 in DLC. These guys get paid, more people play their games than would normally (even if it is only a small percent of those who bought it) and I know personally, I'm not unhappy tossing them a buck or two, even if I don't get to the game for a long time or never at all. That's such a minuscule amount of money for me, it's not even a coffee on the way to work.

Last edited:
He's looking for problems where they don't exist. No one is unhappy with how this works, except maybe the big publishers who fucking loathe having to sell even one copy of a game for less than 60 bucks plus about another 100 in DLC. These guys get paid, more people play their games than would normally (even if it is only a small percent of those who bought it) and I know personally, I'm not unhappy tossing them a buck or two, even if I don't get to the game for a long time or never at all. That's such a minuscule amount of money for me, it's not even a coffee on the way to work.
I agree, I think he's fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of buying during sales in a very similar fashion to how big publishers never really understood the second-hand market. "Conditioning people to look only for 50-75% sales instead of buying at 100%" assumes that people would have been buying at 100% in the first place, and that's just not true. Is there conditioning to be thrifty? Sure, it's called the Recession we've been climbing out of since 2008. If PC developers are able to make sales work to their advantage and not only make money but make a lot of money, then it seems like everything is win-win.

I understand his concerns about sales driving down the market in the way that it has with mobile, but guess what, mobile is now seeing the rise of long-term F2P experiences that collect $20 over the lifetime of the player and premium $6-10 titles that also come back for more that players actually pay for. Markets and pricing strategies adjust.

The recent "look at our unplayed Steam backlog" thread more than proved the point - once the prices go below certain thresholds, people will buy "just in case". Inhibitions are lowered. We buy plenty of stuff we'll never play.

Though I can see his point, somewhat: niche games may suffer by having to stay at a higher price point to be successful, thus being too expensive, yet not popular enough ever to make back costs while on sale.

But yeah, if I had to buy at 100%, I'd have bought maybe 5 games in the past 4 years.

The recent "look at our unplayed Steam backlog" thread more than proved the point - once the prices go below certain thresholds, people will buy "just in case". Inhibitions are lowered. We buy plenty of stuff we'll never play.
Not to mention, people do that even without sales. Most people with a console have a backlog, and a lot of those were full-price or close to full-price as well as the sales ones.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think he's trying to fill in blanks that don't really need filling in. If you can't make money at a price point, and can't make enough money at a lower one, your model is what needs to change. And if you can make enough money at a lower price point, as he mentions people (including him) actually are, then the economics of the situation are working as intended.

Now, if he's upset about people not playing the game post-download, then he should try and do something about that within the game. Give people a reason to come back (or for the first time). Do some kind of deeper integration with the Steam social layer or create a game where people actively encourage their friends to help them, or add additional content and announce it in the Steam news feed or something. Yes, getting people's attention to play is important and really hard, and as an artist that's important to him. But it has very little to do with the economics of the situation.

My fundamental issue with his arguement: Why the fuck do you care if I play your game if I've already payed for it? Is it just vanity? Do you need people to tell you that you're a great artist/developer after playing it? I wouldn't have bought the damn thing if I hadn't heard good things about it in the first place... or maybe I just want to support various genres as a point.

What I don't quite get is that he points out himself that there are gamers, like the kid, who have to buy the game from an allowance. He refunded the kid! But his next game? Oh sorry, if you don't have the disposable income, sucks to be you - or don't eat this week, or you'll have to save up.
Those gamers may not be able to afford your game without a discount. Sucks forthem...But for you, too, no?

I do think the Humble Bundles are starting to miss their goal, though - there're so many of them more and more people just consider them a bargain bin, paying 1 cent over the average to have plenty of great games for peanuts. But oh well.

figmentPez

Staff member
I tried out the Steam In-Home Streaming today. It's a cool concept, but of little use to me, I think. My netbook can't handle the video decoding, even at 800x600, which is a shame. If I could have gotten it to work, I was going to try it over VPN.

So, it's actually remarkable how hands on Trey Parker and Matt Stone and South Park Studios in general are with Stick of Truth. No fucking wonder it's taken so long. Lot of effort to make something look so shitty.

So, it's actually remarkable how hands on Trey Parker and Matt Stone and South Park Studios in general are with Stick of Truth. No fucking wonder it's taken so long. Lot of effort to make something look so shitty.

Ugh, I want this game so much.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me at all. It's why I've never trusted reviews or generally buy a game on release day. I try to hear from an assortment of opinions or watch Let's Plays to see the game fully in action.

The people behind The Banner Saga intend to port it to consoles after Linux, so I'm just gonna wait it out. But I'm with them in spirit against Candy Crush. Spirit power, you know.

Somehow, this doesn't surprise me at all. It's why I've never trusted reviews or generally buy a game on release day. I try to hear from an assortment of opinions or watch Let's Plays to see the game fully in action.
This is the only reason I've not pre-ordered South Park: The Stick of Truth. As great as it looks and how hands-on Matt and Trey have been, I know licensed games can be a mixed bag and Obsidian games can be bags of bugs, so I'd rather see what people's general impressions are before making a commitment.

I say that, and then I'll be buying Super Smash Bros on release date, but I long ago accepted that I'm Nintendo's bitch.

I say that, and then I'll be buying Super Smash Bros on release date, but I long ago accepted that I'm Nintendo's bitch.
I think Nintendo has mostly earned it (at least for their 1st-party titles). I just wish there were more things on the Wii U that I wanted to play. I'm guessing I'll re-visit that equation when SSB comes out.

I think Nintendo has mostly earned it (at least for their 1st-party titles). I just wish there were more things on the Wii U that I wanted to play. I'm guessing I'll re-visit that equation when SSB comes out.
I wish the same. I have some store credit saved up and was trying to think of a Wii U game to get, but Wonderful 101 is a game I can finish as a rental, Pikmin 3 isn't a must-have, Donkey Kong is also a rental (great as it will surely be), and the games I actually want (Mario Kart 8, SSB, Bayonetta 2, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, whatever the new Zelda is) don't even have release dates. I fear this is going to be another year of me locked into my 3DS, punctuated by occasional journeys into Skyrim.

Yeah, the only thing out for me that I would definitely want to buy is Super Mario 3D World, and that's an expensive investment to make when the other games I want (we have more or less the same list, you and I) don't have a release date.

Especially when, for all we know, by the time the other games come out the Wii U will either see a price break or get a mild upgrade for the same price (larger hard-drive, improved controller, etc.). Just like the 3DS.

This is the only reason I've not pre-ordered South Park: The Stick of Truth. As great as it looks and how hands-on Matt and Trey have been, I know licensed games can be a mixed bag and Obsidian games can be bags of bugs, so I'd rather see what people's general impressions are before making a commitment.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dear God. Oculus rift party games. Imagine this - one player wears the goggles and has motion controls. He is the only one who can see the time bomb. Three other players have all the bomb manuals. The player with the oculus rift must describe what he sees, and the other players must talk him through defusing the bomb or they all die.

I give you, "Keep talking and nobody explodes," the game.

Neat little video from Area 5 about Frank Cifaldi, who is probably the dude that's put the most effort into preserving old video game stuff. He runs lostlevels.org which is a site about preserving and getting ROM dumps of insanely rare games.

Necronic

Staff member

Wow they got old....[DOUBLEPOST=1391117085,1391116862][/DOUBLEPOST]
Dear God. Oculus rift party games. Imagine this - one player wears the goggles and has motion controls. He is the only one who can see the time bomb. Three other players have all the bomb manuals. The player with the oculus rift must describe what he sees, and the other players must talk him through defusing the bomb or they all die.

I give you, "Keep talking and nobody explodes," the game.

That's neat, no doubt....but what does the Occulus Rift really add to this? If he was just playing off the screen it would be a pretty similar experience.

And they've been that way for years. They don't seem to buffer South Park episodes, creating them in a week. That's rough.

That behind the scenes video convinced my wife that getting The Stick of Truth is essential.

I swear to Christ Ubisoft, if you pull the last minute delay bullshit on Stick of Truth for PC like you do for every other game you release, I'm going to burn every country, province or state you have an office in. All of them will cease to exist in a planetary cataclysm the likes of which you could only begin to imagine. Fiery cataclysm Ubi.

Also, I will pirate it. I am SO much more than willing to pay for it. But I've had it with this practice.

I swear to Christ Ubisoft, if you pull the last minute delay bullshit on Stick of Truth for PC like you do for every other game you release, I'm going to burn every country, province or state you have an office in. All of them will cease to exist in a planetary cataclysm the likes of which you could only begin to imagine. Fiery cataclysm Ubi.

Also, I will pirate it. I am SO much more than willing to pay for it. But I've had it with this practice.
My only problem is SIXTY DOLLARS? I forgot video games went up that high...

Eh, I can wait a year when it's free on PS+.

Also, did I mention I love being a PS+ member? What a great investment.

GasBandit

Staff member
Watch a guy fail at Skyrim in a total VR setup.

Look how skinny he is! This device clearly was not made with American gamers in mind.