Weird weather

GasBandit

Staff member
Over the last week or so, temps have dropped from the 100-102 range to the 91-95 range. But it did this via rain from the tropical storm that just blew through.

Which means our humidity is over 9000.

It's supposed to snow this week. Normal stuff.....
We don't usually get "Fall" until it snows sometime in October. It always seems like our weather is stuck on summer until it gets a kick in the pants. Then queue the people who *every year* cry that they guess they aren't getting fall this year since it snowed and now it's just winter and I just roll my eyes.

We usually don't get snow until just before Halloween, sometimes after in November. It showing up in September is very unusual.

Over the last week or so, temps have dropped from the 100-102 range to the 91-95 range. But it did this via rain from the tropical storm that just blew through.

Which means our humidity is over 9000.
I went out this morning thinking it was 80 degrees or more. Nope, 72 just humid as hell.

66F today; 59F tomorrow; dropping steadily all week until we get to 39F with "mixed precipitation"* on Sunday.

*Which means the ditches along Hwy 11 will look like scenes from The Stand.

We actually had a tornado warning in the Valley today. In the hills north of Phoenix and Scottsdale, a funnel cloud was sighted.

Dave

Staff member
This video was taken yesterday north of Omaha. This flooding has been happening since spring and hasn't receded.

I've had the nastiest little desire to go through r/TropicalWeather and flag every post from NOAA as "political/untrustworthy source," ever since that fiasco; but I don't want to give the mods there more BS to deal with during the season.
I suppose if it does take a turn towards the coast, we can always nuke it.

--Patrick

It has been at or over 100F (~38C) all week around here. We are in October for crying out loud.

Anyway, here is the forecast for today & tomorrow when Fall finally gets here:

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 12.15.26 PM.png

We have another 3 days of summer heat. My plans are to go tailgating. I will likely not go, I don't think I can stand on a parking lot for 3 hours in 97degree heat. Then walk around 2-3 miles around the lot and stadium, with a blood blister on my heel.

This is not weird, this is how weather works around here, but I just wanted to post it because it made me laugh.

1570477177092.png

GasBandit

Staff member
Got down to 26 last night... That's nuts. Two hard freezes before December... We usually only get one or so a year, and that usually in February.

It has rained - HARD - at least four times today since early this morning. It is pouring outside again as I type this.

The Valley is supposed to get about two inches of rain over the next three days, and areas up in the mountains could get up to four.

There really isn't anywhere for this stuff to go.

We've had 16°+ (Celsius, folks) here all week. Is ridiculous, I'm sitting here in short sleeves and sweating. We should have snow dammit.

Dave

Staff member
It's going to be in the 50's here in Omaha this weekend. I'm dreaming of a brown & sunny Christmas...

figmentPez

Staff member
NatureResearch: Global 5G wireless deal threatens weather forecasts
Buzzfeed: 5G Is Going To Screw Up Weather Forecasts, Meteorologists Warn
Physics Today: NOAA warns of threat to weather forecasts from 5G spectrum

TL; DR 5G signals border on a freqency range that is similar to that of water molecules in the air, so noise leaking into that range is making satellite humidity sensors less reliable. Multi-day forecasts, especially those for hurricanes, are going to become unreliable, 1980s-weather-reporting-unreliable.

"NOAA’s acting administrator, Neil Jacobs, told Congress that the interference would set US weather forecasts back to 'somewhere around 1980,' reducing current three-day hurricane warnings to two-day ones."

Last edited: