Weird weather

Wait, are you assuming the gangs have embraced shamans and are sending firestorms and hurricanes at each other, or are your assuming Mother Nature itself is helping in one-upping each other in a "oh, you got fire? Well, we've got fire and wind!" kind of style?
Yes.

October is almost over and Colorado is still flush with wildfires. One of them (the East Troublesome Fire) just jumped the Continental Divide and triggered emergency evacs in Estes Park. We need a good storm immediately.

October is almost over and Colorado is still flush with wildfires. One of them (the East Troublesome Fire) just jumped the Continental Divide and triggered emergency evacs in Estes Park. We need a good storm immediately.

We had a cold front pass through today. I run (drive) into the nearby village to stock up on the necessities. Both sit down restaurants are closed. I go to the taco stand with outdoor seating. By time I finished dinner I was sweating.

DAMMIT THEY TOLD ME WE HAD A COLD FRONT!

Yes, after that it was still 76 degrees an hour after sunset.

It has not been below freezing in at least a month. But I have 6 inches of snow outside. And it is still not freezing. Some of the strangest snow I have ever seen. Well at least half is sleet.

GasBandit

Staff member
It has not been below freezing in at least a month. But I have 6 inches of snow outside. And it is still not freezing. Some of the strangest snow I have ever seen. Well at least half is sleet.
Same here. It never got below 34 today butwe got 4 inches.

I took a picture when I first noticed it snowing around noon. I thought snow building up on my yucca plants made for notable juxtaposition.

A few hours later, and there's ACTUAL winter in Texas.

1610341998280.png

If they weren't all so busy claiming erection fraud, we'd be inundated with "global warming is a hoax" crime from the alt-right dumdums. Silver lining!

it's currently 34F here and snowing a 'wintery mix' (some snow, some rain)..supposed to transition to real snow sometime in the next 3 hours, and put 2 inches on the ground. But it's not supposed to get below 27 for the week.

We’ve been well below zero for almost a week now. Highs in the single digits. Over all it’s been pretty mild though, so if this is the only cold snap we get, I’m happy.

We haven't gone more than 3 days without a snowstorm in a week and 1/2. We're getting another 3-5" overnight. Wheeeeee.

It was -38 C the other morning. That was cool.

In Yellowknife, where my brother is, it was -55 with the windchill. He got frostbite on his ears just from poking out onto the balcony for a smoke.

Sleet and snow last weekend, today 67F wearing shorts. Tomorrow is cold rain. Go home Georgia weather, you're drunk.

Well, see, there's this thing about the East Valley. It's called "sunshine." And when it reaches about 1 in the afternoon, it starts warming things up.

Now, it's only maybe the 70's or 80's.

But in July...

I honestly don't know how long I'll be buried in snow - they're calling for 3-6 inches tonight through Tuesday morning and then 4-8 inches Wednesday through Thursday night. While in areas that see snow constantly, we don't have the infrastructure/maintenance vehicles to handle that much snow here in SW Kentucky. We barely managed to have anything done about the ice storm we just had last week. (Today's weather is the same system that is currently going through Texas.) Biggest problem is that since I'm originally from Northern Illinois/South Central Wisconsin, I know how to drive in snow - everyone down here doesn't have that experience and I think it's going to be a massive mess.

I am worried the forecast says that it will not thaw here until Saturday. I will have to get out before then because I forgot to get a bag of dog food yesterday.

Snow is one thing, ice is another. My relief this morning caved in the front end of her truck on the way to work this morning. She's okay, if a bit shaken up. I got home fine, but it was a bit tense not knowing if the road ahead was ice or just wet.

Freezing to death in Central Texas. Likely going to hit -15f with wind chill, no one here was at all prepared for this winter storm. We already had some car pileups on the main highway but nothing as bad as the major pileup in Fort Worth (100+ cars, at least six dead), people here just don't know how to drive on ice.

Right now, we have all my indoor faucets on a small stream (need way more then the usual drip) and a small space heater that is going to sit in the garage, help keep some of the pipes in there from getting too bad. I have the external faucets covered in insulated bags and tubing, and one of the more at risk ones also has a second insulated cap and a towel wrapped around it. It's still likely to freeze.

Because of all the energy being used, the whole state is running at like 95% power capacity, so there are chances we may get a few brown outs, so just in case I got out sleeping bags and pulled up some fire wood for the fireplace. I also have my propane grill to make sure we still have hot food and drinks should it come to no power. All our emergency water jugs have been moved into the closet too, so they don't freeze (they were in the garage). Since the temperature isn't going to raise above freezing till Thursday, this is going to be the new normal for a bit.

It's going to be an interesting few days.

No one really knows how to drive on ice. We get pileups every time there's freezing rain here too. That shit is a nightmare.

No one really knows how to drive on ice. We get pileups every time there's freezing rain here too. That shit is a nightmare.
What's weird is I lived a single year in Colorado, up in the mountains, and from that one year I know how to handle most cold weather, including how to drive on ice and snow. Yet people I know that came from even colder regions like Minnesota absolutely lose their shit in a rain storm, let alone ice. Maybe my dad just made sure I understood the dangers of the weather and the cold, and to have respect for it.

What's weird is I lived a single year in Colorado, up in the mountains, and from that one year I know how to handle most cold weather, including how to drive on ice and snow. Yet people I know that came from even colder regions like Minnesota absolutely lose their shit in a rain storm, let alone ice. Maybe my dad just made sure I understood the dangers of the weather and the cold, and to have respect for it.
It's because Colorado does a shitty job for road maintenance in bad weather, and those other states that are good at dealing with bad weather have shit plowed out and salted so fast that they don't have to deal with it being as bad as it is in Southern states.

Also, once your move away from those states you probably don't have things like snow tires, "all weather tires" are a joke.

It's because Colorado does a shitty job for road maintenance in bad weather, and those other states that are good at dealing with bad weather have shit plowed out and salted so fast that they don't have to deal with it being as bad as it is in Southern states.

Also, once your move away from those states you probably don't have things like snow tires, "all weather tires" are a joke.
All weather tires are fine in areas where you're likely to have one week of actual cold a year and the rest of the time is spent with rain and sleet at 5°C or thereabouts.
In an area where you actually have winters, they're completely inadequate.