[Thread Game] #Whamageddon2021 - WHAM FREE DIE HARDER

Just flipping radio stations and there it is. It’s not even really a Christmas station, the next song they played wasn’t a Christmas song. It feels like a drive-by whamming.
I literally had that happen to me last year. I was out taking pictures for my email Christmas cards and a car drove playing the song.

I think I've been Whammed?
I went to the grocery store last Christmas night to get eggs, milk, cherries--the essentials. At some point I realized that the PA system was playing "Last Christmas," but I legitimately couldn't hear it well enough to know if it was a cover or the original so...I'm counting myself as Wham'd since I couldn't tell for sure that it was NOT the original.

--Patrick

Listening to a radio station and they actually gave advance warning that the next song would be Wham & Last Christmas if anyone wanted to avoid getting Whammed.

Of course since I was somewhere I couldn't leave & didn't have control of the radio in still out anyway but I appreciate the attempt to keep people alive.

Volunteered at the Christmas Market for the local animal shelter. Commercial Christmas music 8 hours on end. Few close calls with covers but they got me in the end:rolleyes:

The fucking ALT ROCK station got me!

God damn. It *may* have been a different cover but I'm not 100% sure so I have to put myself to maintain my honor. And of course their website sucks and won't tell me their recently played songs correctly.

watch-game-of-thrones.gif

I had a friend over the other day, and she was scrolling Facebook reels and it came on. Luckily, it was some kind of cover done by a family, so I was safe, but I told her "Stop scrolling now!" lol

Zappit

Staff member
They got me. Kids in the cafeteria started singing it. Apparently, it’s on the choir’s Christmas concert list, so a few started harmonizing and WHAM!

This was much easier last year when I was still recovering from my transplant and barely left the house.

They got me. Kids in the cafeteria started singing it. Apparently, it’s on the choir’s Christmas concert list, so a few started harmonizing and WHAM!

This was much easier last year when I was still recovering from my transplant and barely left the house.
Rule #3 is that remixes and covers don’t count. Unless your school choir resurrected George and already had Andrew you’re okay.

I never heard it once and I'm not going anywhere today so that's it then. I think I've defeated WHammageddon this year.
If you survive Whammageddon, each subsequent year you get to add another song to avoid. Congrats, and good luck avoiding All I Want For Christmas Is You next year along with Last Christmas:awesome:

If you survive Whammageddon, each subsequent year you get to add another song to avoid. Congrats, and good luck avoiding All I Want For Christmas Is You next year along with Last Christmas:awesome:
What would the three year stack look like, because I’ve avoided both of those so far.

That’s two years for me, and it’s been so pleasant. Probably more pleasant for my wife too, I make commentary for the song when I hear it.

What would the three year stack look like, because I’ve avoided both of those so far.
It would be:
1) Last Christmas (Wham!)
2) All I Want for Christmas is You (Mariah Carey)
3) Wonderful Christmas Time (Wings)
4) Fairytale of New York (The Pogues w/ Kirsty MacColl)
5) Jingle Bell Rock (Bobby Helms)
6+ any Christmas music at all

I would never pass level 3, as Wonderful Christmastime is a song in my personal rotation. It doesn’t come up often since my personal stuff ranges from Mannheim Steamroller to August Bleeds Red to Weird Al to TSO.

We were just having this discussion at the table this morning:
"It's the first of December! That means... WHAMAGEDDON!"
"YAY!"
"But that means we have to stop listening to the Christmas music station so we don't get Wham'd."
"Aww, boo."
"But if we get Wham'd early, then we can listen to whatever we want!"
"Y...wait...but we... I don't know what I want!"

It's going to be a long December. ...or is it?!?

GasBandit

Staff member
I was worried I got whammed a couple days ago, but it was not december, and it was a non-Wham cover of Last Christmas. So I'm still in the clear.

But my girlfriend likes to go out shopping, so I am in much more jeopardy this year than previously.