[Thread Game] #Whamageddon2021 - WHAM FREE DIE HARDER

5:03pm for me, wife changed over to SiriusXM Holly channel on the way downtown to attend the first “big” event of the Christmas season with the lighting of Rudolf the pump-jack. I think It’s been a couple of years since I’ve heard the song at all. Just for reference, a photo of Rudolf, giant guy to the left is my buddy Justin.
IMG_4864.jpeg

Dammit!
We got into the car this morning and I purposely left the radio station on one that DOESN'T play Christmas music. Or so I thought. All three of us got Wham'd mid-song.
To add insult to injury, right after the song finished, the dj says, "For all of you playing Whamaggedon, looks like you're out for this season!" AAAAASSSSSSSSSSS.

Dammit!
We got into the car this morning and I purposely left the radio station on one that DOESN'T play Christmas music. Or so I thought. All three of us got Wham'd mid-song.
To add insult to injury, right after the song finished, the dj says, "For all of you playing Whamaggedon, looks like you're out for this season!" AAAAASSSSSSSSSSS.
That radio jockey chose violence today.

Gay coworker who just hooked up with a new boyfriend was feeling EXTRA festive today and played it. I can practically see the cartoon stars and hearts bubbling up around his head while he works. It's a little unsettling, really.

--Patrick

survived the first market. But I'm not surprised. It was a pagan-backed pagan-themed popup market.
The next one is the most iffy :D It's a "Winterfest" billed as a family event.

My wife has the same complaint.
"What, he gave it away? To whom? And he's giving his heart to someone special this year? How did he get it back in the first place? I have so many unanswered questions! This is a TERRIBLE allegory."

--Patrick

I thought I got whammed at Walmart, but they were playing some modern cover that was so autotuned the singers almost sounded like robots. I think I'd rather have been whammed.

Fuck. Just got wham'd by Buckets the Drummer on Instagram. I was idly scrolling through my timeline and his video immediately started playing.

On a related note, I fucking hate Instagram for not having an option to turn off autoplay on videoes. You can turn off sound, but that's it.

figmentPez

Staff member
If anyone is looking for some Wham-free Christmas music, Snow Angels by Over the Rhine remains one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Among my favorite tracks are:
Goodbye Charles (an instrumental track clearly inspired by the Vince Guaraldi Trio's work on A Charlie Brown Christmas)

All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue

Snowed in With You

North Pole Man

I was sitting in a department store food court this past weekend, having lunch with my wife, when I noticed they were playing Christmas music. Strangely enough, though, even though I heard pretty much all the classics, I did not get whammed. I feel like Neo dodging bullets in the Matrix.

If anyone is looking for some Wham-free Christmas music, Snow Angels by Over the Rhine remains one of my favorite Christmas albums.

Among my favorite tracks are:
Goodbye Charles (an instrumental track clearly inspired by the Vince Guaraldi Trio's work on A Charlie Brown Christmas)

All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue

Snowed in With You

North Pole Man
While you are more trustworthy than certain other forumites no way no how am I clicking on any video links in this thread until I'm out of have won for this year.

Almost every time I've heard "AIWFCIY" in the wild, it been a cover version. But my son also loves the original, so I've heard it a couple of times at home.

I think because of these games and the "Covers don't count" rule, I've been hearing more covers of "Last Christmas" and Mariah this year. But that's also lead to hearing some truly awful covers. The worst offenders of both songs were, by an odd coincidence, male artists, but I didn't catch the names either time, so I don't know who's version to avoid in the future. The Mariah one, whoever this guy is, couldn't keep his own rhythm and sounded like he was trying to scat-sing it. The "Last Christmas" one sounded like something you'd hear at a XMas party at a club in The Village, except they wouldn't sing any of the verses, just the refrain, and then they changed the words of the bridge, but it didn't fit the rhythm of the song?!? Even Li'l Z, who was sitting in the car next to me, was like, "This is the worst version I've ever heard.".

I went and just looked up the album playlist on youtube and listened to the whole thing earlier today, it is quite nice. Slightly jazzy, but not overbearingly so and they avoid the main pitfalls of Christmas albums (schmaltz and just remaking traditional songs)

One of the rules is "don't be an asshole and try to make others lose."
Pretty sure there's been at least one case of someone posting a Last Christmas video in a "here's some non-Wham Christmas music" post a few years ago. Granted for Pez to do so would be massively OOC, but better safe than sorry when I can just check the videos after Whammageddon is over anyway.