What are you playing?

I never got his good ending, I passed all the checks but he still insisted in us shooting it out. I must've missed something earlier.

Nah, my dude has hella high speech, like I said, I passed all the skill checks.
That's the problem: You bested him too many times. Beat him in too many checks, be too competent, be an asshole, or open too many of his stashes while your with him and he turns on you. It's actually supposed to be pretty hard to get him on your side.

You need follow his advice, not argue with him, and look out for him interests when you can. Then he'll join up.

Ha ha, just started Old World Blues.

James Urbaniak (Dr. Venture) as one of the docs is awesome.

And I didn't really talk about it here, but I dug Honest Hearts. It wasn't exceptional, but it didn't make me want to delete my save games either.

Now I continue to walk upon my many-penised feet.

New Vegas: Fuck everyone over before they fuck me. That's my character's new motto. Sure, I may have killed a couple innocents at this point, but there's a good chance one of them was going to turn on me, cause that seems to keep happening to me.

When you specialize in explosives before Guns, Energy Weapons, Melee etc. Alot of innocents tend to get killed in the cross-fire. :awesome:

fade

Staff member
Read the Fellout mod description, and I have to whole-heartedly agree with the author's comments on the timing of the games. That really ought to extend even further. The 200 years timing doesn't work out too well if you stop suspending even a little disbelief. Paper boxed meals sitting on the floor are still good? I can believe the atomic power is still on, but the bulbs themselves? Ammo sitting in a corner a) hasn't been found, and b) still fires? Minor corrosion on everything. How many things from 1811 are still sitting around that haven't been carefully maintained? It looks like it's maybe 10-20 years after the war, and even that's a stretch for some of the in-game items.

Ummmm yea....

So I've been playing The Witcher 2... only a few hours in. Controls are somewhat frustrating and the UI lacks polish but it's been an OK experience so far.

I didn't play XenoSaga... simply because it was far too much JapCrap for me to care for it.

Beyond that occassionally playing Dead Island, The Guild 2 and Mount and Blade Warband while I wait for.... the Holy Grail.

With my alone time at home being much much less these days, all I really have time to play is an hour or two of WoW.

Games I have on unfinished status but started are too numerous to list for now.

Read the Fellout mod description, and I have to whole-heartedly agree with the author's comments on the timing of the games. That really ought to extend even further. The 200 years timing doesn't work out too well if you stop suspending even a little disbelief. Paper boxed meals sitting on the floor are still good? I can believe the atomic power is still on, but the bulbs themselves? Ammo sitting in a corner a) hasn't been found, and b) still fires? Minor corrosion on everything. How many things from 1811 are still sitting around that haven't been carefully maintained? It looks like it's maybe 10-20 years after the war, and even that's a stretch for some of the in-game items.
I recall there are Fallout 3 mods that attempt to remedy this, somewhat. For example, there's one mod that makes virtually all containers empty, reasoning that in the intervening 200 years someone's probably looted them before you did. The only containers that hold stuff are the ones in civilized settlements, and belong to someone, or in areas that were sealed up and probably haven't had any visitors, like Fort Constantine. Stimpacks were extremely rare, while "civilized" food, like the packaged stuff, became rare while food that could plausibly be made, such as brahmin steak, became common.

I don't think these mods ever really took off though, because they fell too far on the "realism" side of the scale, and weren't very fun to play.

Working ammo in the Capital Wasteland is somewhat justified though, because the Pitt still operates and makes ammo.

Working ammo in the Capital Wasteland is somewhat justified though, because the Pitt still operates and makes ammo.
Out West, the Gunrunners have the facilities to make brand new guns and ammo so it's not so unbelievable to find some of it. I won't comment on the fire-ability of some of the ammo except to comment that ammo from WW2 still works, albeit intermittently, so it working isn't out of the question.

As for Stimpacks... the US was fighting a war at the time and had them produced in the MILLIONS. Considering that the population has been severely reduced in the meantime and most of them are likely sitting unused in stockpiles in guarded military bases, as well as the fact that some people clearly still know how to make them or something close and that problem goes away too.

Finally, the food stuffs... I have NO idea why the Pork and Beans one is okay, but I always assumed the rest of it was ether freeze dried/dehydrated (like Instamash and the TV dinners) or made from stuff so unhealthy that they are "like" Twinkies and don't have an expiration date (like the Gum drops). This was stuff DESIGNED to last through an atomic war, so it makes sense that it did.

I think the thing that bothers me more than any of that is that it's been 200 years and no one has bothered to sweep out the house they're living in?

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm still playing SW: Knights of the Old Republic. I'm enjoying it a lot, but a few things bug me. First, the interface is really clunky. It's showing it's age more than Baldur's Gate. Second, the alien gibberish is so damn annoying. Third, Pazaak is a bullshit game that I'm happy to cheat at.

Other than those few nit-picks, it's a good RPG. The characters are interesting, the voice acting is mostly good and it's Star Wars.

Yeah, the computer cheating at Pazaak was always annoying. It's right up there with playing Puzzle Quest when the computer would make a move that makes absolutely zero sense unless it knows what's coming down from the top of the board where it ends up making a huge combo.

fade

Staff member
Weird, I just downloaded that game, too. It was on sale on the Mac App store for like 10 bucks. You're right. The interface sucks. The character models are kind of wonky, too. All the women have man-chins. I haven't made it past the intro yet, though.

ICO, as a part of the remastered ICO/Shadows of the Colossus Bundle.

This game gives you no instructions. You're locked in this tower and figure it out yourself, bitch. And it's done perfectly. Fighting the monsters away from the girl, solving puzzles while trying to find ways to communicate with her, there's something incredibly charming about this game, and crafted beautifully.

ICO, as a part of the remastered ICO/Shadows of the Colossus Bundle.

This game gives you no instructions. You're locked in this tower and figure it out yourself, bitch. And it's done perfectly. Fighting the monsters away from the girl, solving puzzles while trying to find ways to communicate with her, there's something incredibly charming about this game, and crafted beautifully.
So itching to play that. Shadow of the Colossus is wonderful and I'm looking forward to getting the bundle, seeing it in HD, but also to play Ico. I know I'll bitch a ton about Yorda, but still, I missed it way back.

Dear developers who made Orcs Must Die!,

I would love to play your game. It looks really fun. However, since you assholes couldn't handle the basic concept of letting players rebind the controls, I won't be giving you a cent. Next time try to remember that some people are left handed and can't play your default settings terribly well.

Dear developers who made Orcs Must Die!,

I would love to play your game. It looks really fun. However, since you assholes couldn't handle the basic concept of letting players rebind the controls, I won't be giving you a cent. Next time try to remember that some people are left handed and can't play your default settings terribly well.
Consolitis.

And I'm left-handed as well.

Necronic

Staff member
Mac users shouldn't even have an opinion as they should be thankful they even get a version of any game.... you backwater bitches.
Mac game choices remind me of the weird games they have at Office Max.

Enjoy Diner Dash.

Lonesome Road is boooooooooooooring.

It hits that OCD spot on me where I have to find everything and there's so much detritus everywhere that I end up spending too much time gathering a near infinite supply of ammo and getting sick of every new area having about 19000 new nooks and crannies I HAVE TO FUCKING LOOK THROUGH (OCD). It doesn't help that the stupid challenge message will let me know there are 10 or 20 more of something I still need to find.

Lonesome Road is linear but definitely not boring. What you're doing with the game though, that'd be boring as hell.

Ole Annabelle and I, we never get bored....

Yeah but you can't compare the damage and the firepower of the best rocket to the best missle. I could do in 1 missle what took 3-5 rockets. It all depended on your aim.

Yeah but you can't compare the damage and the firepower of the best rocket to the best missle. I could do in 1 missle what took 3-5 rockets. It all depended on your aim.
True, but I can fire my entire clip in less time than it takes you to fire two missiles (if you upgrade it) and still reload it faster than Annabelle, which means I have a higher DPS. Basically, the Red Glare is better against anything you can't drop in a single shot with Annabelle (which is just about everything in The Lonesome Road).

My fully upgraded Annabelle dropped EVERYTHING in one shot with the exception of RAWR. In the finale

I was able to slaughter the natives that came rushing in droves with well placed missles.

Deathclaws? One missle was usually enough to cripple to the point of finishing them off anyway I wanted.

I agree with the Red Glare being better dps, but what difference it made when nearly nothing survived the slaughter of my High Explosive Missle.

My fully upgraded Annabelle dropped EVERYTHING in one shot with the exception of RAWR. In the finale

I was able to slaughter the natives that came rushing in droves with well placed missles.

Deathclaws? One missle was usually enough to cripple to the point of finishing them off anyway I wanted.

I agree with the Red Glare being better dps, but what difference it made when nearly nothing survived the slaughter of my High Explosive Missle.
That might be why I was having different results: I wasn't using high Explosive missiles. I was using AP missiles to break through the crazy stupid armor levels at level 50.

You can't upgrade Annabelle unless you're modding and that's akin ta cheatin'!
No, but you can mod the Red Glare. Besides, Annabelle already gets the effects of the guidance system upgrade naturally.

Only mod I used was WME (Weapon Mods Extended) which was a mod in FO3 that even the devs of FO:NV recognized and slightly implemented into the main game. As for what I mean by "mod" is the talents you can use to increase explosive damage, explosive radius, reload speed and the speed of which you can draw your weapons. My Annabelle is nearly an instant "draw" and can reload as fast as most regular weapons while still dealing enough damage to single kill most anything and wipe out entire groups of bandits to bloody smears on the ground.

I seriously open the game by heading out and getting Annabelle before I'm even level 10. Then it's simply heading to Gun Runners for Missles, then mowing down the Mojave!

I don't find the explosive weapons satisfying. I'm still in love with A Light Shining in the Darkness. It's my favorite gun. It's ridiculously accurate, can fire 8 shots in vats and crits half a level 50 deathclaw's life off (which is nearly every headshot).

Honestly, most of the Explosives related mods are ONLY useful with Annabelle. Why would you want to increase your explosive radius with hand thrown grenades? How about the Fatman?

Then again, I was crazy enough to take the perk that makes my energy kills cause plasma explosions...