What are you playing?

I've been playing this old DOS game from 1993 called Nomad.
Anyone ever play this thing before? It's a sci-fi exploration and bartering game with some combat elements.

Picked up The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories for ten bucks on the Switch. So far, it's very Inside adjacent, but with a very gross and interesting mechanic of letting yourself be mutilated to solve puzzles. Not sure I like it necessarily, but it's interesting.

Picked up The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories for ten bucks on the Switch. So far, it's very Inside adjacent, but with a very gross and interesting mechanic of letting yourself be mutilated to solve puzzles. Not sure I like it necessarily, but it's interesting.
This is a Swery65 game, I believe, and oddly one of my favorites. He's got something he wants to say here and he delivers.

Dave

Staff member
A friend has talked me into playing Conan: Exiles. I looked into it and it looks like Skyrim and Ark had a baby. So an open world survival RPG. Okay, I can do that. But when?!?

I have now gotten a bunch of games I have yet to play including (but not limited to) Control, Greedfall, Monster Hunter, and (of course) Cyberpunk. So not sure when I'd be able to play Conan. Oh, and I need to play WoW this weekend as I haven't played in a week.

GasBandit

Staff member
A friend has talked me into playing Conan: Exiles. I looked into it and it looks like Skyrim and Ark had a baby. So an open world survival RPG. Okay, I can do that. But when?!?

I have now gotten a bunch of games I have yet to play including (but not limited to) Control, Greedfall, Monster Hunter, and (of course) Cyberpunk. So not sure when I'd be able to play Conan. Oh, and I need to play WoW this weekend as I haven't played in a week.
1607103302851.png

A halforums Monster Hunter squishing squad would be fun!

A friend has talked me into playing Conan: Exiles. I looked into it and it looks like Skyrim and Ark had a baby.
That's not a bad description.
But what I hear people talk about most seems to be the ability to choose the size of your sexual attributes.

--Patrick

I would play MH with a group if we all got together but I'm acutely aware that I say that often and then rarely follow through.

I also don't like how MHW handles multiplayer in regards to the story portions, especially in regards to trying to teach someone new to the game. Locking you out until they pass the cutscene makes for a lot of sitting around.

They do that on PS4 as well. Obnoxious.

I wish they had cross play or the ability to transfer my chick. Starting again and having to kill tempered Kirin again is a super scary thought.

Conan Exiles is a lot of fun, but really only if you're playing on a RP server or with a small set of friends on a private server. It doesn't really have an end game though? Like, once you're decking yourself out in Starmetal or it's equivilant, all you have left to do is run a few dungeons.

I'm wrestling with the idea that I'm not really going to enjoy this until I replace my rig. Ye olde gaming laptop is not quite up to the challenge.
Posting for posterity: I'm not sure which was the culprit, but turning off both the Steam and GeForce overlays allowed me to run this with DirectX 12. The first boss fight that I lost six or seven times in a row took less than two minutes, once I could aim without stuttering. Huge difference.

Since it's on the Xbox Game Pass, I decided to try Children of Morta. And...I don't know, I was just mostly bored with it. It's another rogue-like with all the usual rogue-like trappings. There wasn't enough there to really keep me engaged.

Doom Eternal

Or maybe 10 minutes of it, anyway.

It lost a LOT of points with me right off the bat by forcing me to register and log onto a Bethesda account just to get to the main menu. I was playing through Xbox Game Pass and thus, an Xbox account. Should that not be sufficient, Bethesda? But I apparently already had an account? But I forgot my username, so I asked for an e-mail, which read like I was registering for the first time, so that just further confused and frustrated me. Plus, every time I clicked on the section to enter information it would pop out of the game to go to a separate Microsoft related screen specifically just to enter my information. After 10+ minutes of that bullshit alone, I finally got into the game...

Only to be greeted by a parade of tutorial popups that dragged the action to a screeching halt. When I first got the chainsaw, for some reason, the devs thought it was a good idea to put me in an entirely separate section JUST to kill three enemies in what looked like a training room like something out of Portal. It took me completely out of the game right away.

And then the action was constantly juggling health or ammo as enemies swarmed me, so I had to quickly figure out if I had to chainsaw an enemy or shoot them so they glow while also being fired upon another dozen enemies.

I was already frustrated with just getting INTO the game that it quickly lost me and I shut off the game by the time I encountered my second horde of enemies.

Ark Survival

Or five minutes of it, anyway, because without any tutorial, even for button prompts, I had no fucking clue what I was doing.

Dave

Staff member
Ark Survival

Or five minutes of it, anyway, because without any tutorial, even for button prompts, I had no fucking clue what I was doing.
Ark? As in the game where you start as a caveman? Yeah, has a bit of a learning curve. I'm down to help if you want.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, these space-based survival games really throw you in the deep end with an anchor instead of floaties. Somebody should have made tutorials of at least one of em or something! :D

Yeah, these space-based survival games really throw you in the deep end with an anchor instead of floaties. Somebody should have made tutorials of at least one of em or something! :D
If Minecraft became the most popular game ever without having a tutorial, so can all these survival game knock offs!!!!!

GasBandit

Staff member
If Minecraft became the most popular game ever without having a tutorial, so can all these survival game knock offs!!!!!
Pfft, Minecraft coddles you with luxuries like "a UI and control scheme that makes sense." Real gamers crave arcane and obtuse sets of undocumented hotkeys with unintuitive functions, and crafting progression paradigms that make absolutely no sense if you aren't intimately familiar with the history of the game's development since early alpha!

Ark? As in the game where you start as a caveman? Yeah, has a bit of a learning curve. I'm down to help if you want.
Thanks, but I don't think it's a game for me. Unintuitive UIs and control schemes are two big turn-offs for me, gaming wise. If I can't jump into the game and at least get a feel for it, then it's just not worth my time to push through it.

Has anyone tried Immortals: Fenyx Rising? Is it any good? I've heard it has a BOTW feel to it.
I also see that it's one of those damn games that you can sink real money into to purchase in-game credits as well. Is it necessary to do so to have a decent game experience? For $60 I'd like to think I'm getting a complete game.

GasBandit

Staff member
I was highly amused however when I was killed in the prison that first time, that I managed to communicate with the team from beyond the grave by finding a bar of soap to drop over and over as a signal.

I enjoy the way that you try to prove you aren't scared. Why can't you just embrace it like Snuffles does?
And yet, I had 3 successful hunts without dying, and the 3rd on was professional difficulty! So even fake courage is courage (?)

GasBandit

Staff member
And yet, I had 3 successful hunts without dying, and the 3rd on was professional difficulty! So even fake courage is courage (?)
Like I've said elsewhere, courage is acting even though you're afraid. You can't be brave unless you're scared.

For example, I'm not scared when we play, and I think it's what killed me both times I died last night - that I had no impulse to run when I knew it was coming for me. And I think I enjoy it less than others do because of it.

Like I've said elsewhere, courage is acting even though you're afraid. You can't be brave unless you're scared.

For example, I'm not scared when we play, and I think it's what killed me both times I died last night - that I had no impulse to run when I knew it was coming for me. And I think I enjoy it less than others do because of it.
I mean, Terrik and Snuffles are scared of the ghost, I'm scared of dying and losing 100s of dollars, and you have nothing to lose.