What are you playing?

The first zone is so very blah. I've been told it gets better when you go to different zones but there's no way I'll find out because I killed my subscription.
WoW is a game that I can play to the point that it's like a second job for me. It's just not worth it mentally.

The first zone is so very blah. I've been told it gets better when you go to different zones but there's no way I'll find out because I killed my subscription.
It did at least make me resub to FF14, which I still love but have a hard time recommending because it's a slow start.

The Maw is pure cancer. No one likes it except for the folks who do world PVP because it's very, VERY easy to kill enemy players in the Maw because it's so hard to get around in. Once you get out of the Maw though, you do get some interesting storytelling from... most of the zones? Bastion is basically a giant cult and it's rebels feel mostly justified in their complaints, Mordraxxis is Game of Thrones but with a lot more bones, and Revendreth is Castlevania if the vampires were the good guys. It's only Ardenweld that is truly boring.

Speaking of FF14 and crafting in the Firmament, I never want to see a stuffed Carbuncle ever again after this.

That's all I need to hear :) I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. It's not too expensive.
Edit: Nevermind. I had a steam balance left over from Christmas that I'd forgotten about. So, I just picked it up.
Sweet! There is an event on. If you’d like to cheese it and harvest my Edelweiss, let me know :)

I have tomorrow off.

So I own Monster Hunter World but every time I've tried it I've bounced off of it despite liking it. Do any of you folk know why this is?

I adore the game and have a truly embarrassing number of hours on it and Icebourne. I love the quality of life improvements they made to streamline hunts and crafting. Playing Generations was painful (still fun) after World.

I adore the game and have a truly embarrassing number of hours on it and Icebourne. I love the quality of life improvements they made to streamline hunts and crafting. Playing Generations was painful (still fun) after World.
I just played some this morning and I think I know what my hurdle is it just lays on you SO much at once. It's really overwhelming. Same reason those big space 4x games are teflon. I just slip right off of those too.

I'm gonna keep digging more until I fully make up my mind about it.

If this is the first Monster Hunter you’ve played, I can totally understand that. The DS games have intro quests in the village for you to try before you get into killing a large monster. Gather 20 mushrooms, mine 20 whatevers or kill a few random small monsters. Even Generations on the Switch has these and it introduces things slowly.

I work tomorrow, but we'll see if we can work something out :)
I went on some guy's super high level farm yesterday and helped out and filled my helper bar. I had my farm set up with high experience crops. I came on just now and used my buff and got 4 levels!

I am also weak. He had the circus DLC and it looked fun so I got it and the space one.

My farm is totally a disaster. Buddy high level yesterday had a fancy totally flat farm that was super well organised.

I went on some guy's super high level farm yesterday and helped out and filled my helper bar. I had my farm set up with high experience crops. I came on just now and used my buff and got 4 levels!

I am also weak. He had the circus DLC and it looked fun so I got it and the space one.

My farm is totally a disaster. Buddy high level yesterday had a fancy totally flat farm that was super well organised.
Oh, mine's kind of a cluster. I ended up last night planting eggplants, so that I wouldn't have to deal with it until this afternoon/evening. Basically got as far as unlocking the tractor, and called it a night.
Looks like I won't be free today until after 4pm EST

RE: Monster Hunter

It scratches my itch for grinding out things that was previously held by MMO's without me having to deal with MMO's. I also really like that the materials you craft with directly affect the visual appearance of what you make with them.

I do enjoy figuring out how the different monsters fight and how to exploit it and how to harvest off specific parts but It's pretty barebones in that that is pretty much all you do. For me it's something I'll go back to a month at a time and then put down for a year or so.

Can someone explain to me the point of zenny in Monster Hunter World?

They just gave me like 200,000 zenny in eggs. Why even bother with currency?

Dave

Staff member
So I started playing a game called "King Arthur: A Knight's Tale". It just came out on early access and is an isometric turn-based tactical RPG set in the Arthurian days. It's a decent enough game with some great new-ish game mechanics, but I finished the main story line in early access in like 45 minutes. There's just nothing to it and it's $35.

It looks like it'll be a good game someday but that day ain't there yet.

Can someone explain to me the point of zenny in Monster Hunter World?

They just gave me like 200,000 zenny in eggs. Why even bother with currency?
You need it to pay for weapon and armour upgrades/builds. Some get quite expensive at the end of a weapon line. Palico armour can add up too and I buy Cotton Candy everything :)

Asterix & Obelix XXL: Mission Las Vegum
Old game with a recent remaster but I never played it.
So far it's pretty bad. I grew up with the animated films so I was hoping it would be very nostalgic.
So far it's just poking more fun at other video games and is absolutely not subtle about it.

1611755324555.png

I mean I guess Roman Mario works cause he's Italian?

Last edited:
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell

Like many, I enjoy the Saints Row games. Never had the chance to play the first one, but I played through 2, 3, and 4 and enjoyed them. For whatever reason, though, I never got around to playing Gat out of Hell. I don't know why. I was always tempted to buy it when it went on a good sale, but I never pulled the proverbial trigger.

Well, I did yesterday and basically played through the whole game in one sitting (mind you, I've felt very down and lethargic, so I didn't feel like doing anything else).

It's pretty fun, honestly. I kinda wish more sandbox games were smaller in scope and scale like this. I think about how long it takes sometimes to get from Point A to Point B in, say, GTA V and this was just a joy to fly around. There are over 900 little collectible orbs; I must have spent the first half hour or hour just flying around collecting those. The flying in the game is simple, but effective, and made traversing more fun than SR4 (which was fun in itself).

I think, if I had played this soon after finishing SR4, I wouldn't have liked it as much because it's more of almost the exact same thing. But removed from a few years after playing SR4, I found I enjoyed it quite a bit. Probably never going to play it again or try to 100% the achievements, but it was fun nonetheless.

Started Dead Space 2. I'm wondering how it's legal to sell a game that everyone knows doesn't work on modern PCs without a ridiculous amount of work, but I found the files to make it go, and it's pretty good so far.

Started Dead Space 2. I'm wondering how it's legal to sell a game that everyone knows doesn't work on modern PCs without a ridiculous amount of work, but I found the files to make it go, and it's pretty good so far.
You're just buying a license to play this game ; if you don't have hardware capable of it - too old or too new, whatever - that's your problem. They're allowed to sell diesel even if your car happens to run on gas.
This is also why there are very few multiplayer only games these days - practically everything now has some form of offline mode, even if it's just the tutorial or bot matches... Because that means they can still sell the game after matchmaking servers are off line. "there's still a viable part to play even with the servers off".

It's obviously bullcrap, but hey.

You're just buying a license to play this game ; if you don't have hardware capable of it - too old or too new, whatever - that's your problem. They're allowed to sell diesel even if your car happens to run on gas.
This is also why there are very few multiplayer only games these days - practically everything now has some form of offline mode, even if it's just the tutorial or bot matches... Because that means they can still sell the game after matchmaking servers are off line. "there's still a viable part to play even with the servers off".

It's obviously bullcrap, but hey.
I'm not actually someone who cares about "always online" - I am literally always online. This was just so weird. You can't run the game if you have more than ten processors,, which many modern systems have. After a bunch of failed workarounds, I found a dev from another company posting in the EA boards about it who put up files to fix it so you don't have to totally donk up your system settings just to play.

Anyway, it's good to stomp necromorphs again.

FFXIV

I hate Bozjan Southern Front. But I actually need to do the questline now for the new part of the relic weapon quest so FML.

Man, Bozjan is tedious enough, but it's not 51 lowbie raids in a row bad.
I'll say this for Bozjan: it's -great- for leveling up. A night or two there will get you from 70 to 80 on any class. And this is still loads better than doing a Zodiac or Elemental weapon.

I'll say this for Bozjan: it's -great- for leveling up. A night or two there will get you from 70 to 80 on any class. And this is still loads better than doing a Zodiac or Elemental weapon.
Sadly I don't have a class in 71-79 range right now. A few in the early 60s that I left behind in SB, and two 80s.

(I am working on getting my Gunbreaker to 71 for when Terrik has to grind to rank 10, but that's only happening when I need a break from Void Ark/Rabanastre)

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
The Spaced Out DLC for Oxygen Not Included got me intrigued because it has a lot of new devices, like oxygen masks, so you can explore non-breathable environments at length before you have built up enough to have full on space suits... but they've changed so much else of the game that I'm not really enjoying it.

Instead of one map, it's broken into several, and the essential resources are divided between them. They've also added new resource types and dependencies. You have to figure out what is where and get it where it needs to be using rockets and teleporters and boy oh boy is it just a colossal HASSLE.

And most egregious of all, they've added a 5w power requirement to deodorizers. 5w is nothing, one duplicant running on a treadmill generates 400w. But it means that you have to run wires to every deodorizer, so converting polluted oxygen to regular oxygen requires a lot more logistics and that makes breaking down slime biomes safely is now a lot more work.

Bleh. I'm going back to the base game. I'm gonna miss those oxygen masks, but there's too much other hassle that comes packaged with them.

I started up Witcher 3 again to give it another try. Previous attempts all ended after just a few minutes, because I didn't feel like delving into a deep and long game unless I really had time to get into it. Well, the Chinese New Year holidays are coming up so I thought this might be a good time.

Then I got my ass kicked in the first fight of the game.

So I decided to rewatch the first episode of the Witcher on Netflix instead, to see an actual competent version of Geralt of Rivia.

GasBandit

Staff member
I started up Witcher 3 again to give it another try. Previous attempts all ended after just a few minutes, because I didn't feel like delving into a deep and long game unless I really had time to get into it. Well, the Chinese New Year holidays are coming up so I thought this might be a good time.

Then I got my ass kicked in the first fight of the game.

So I decided to rewatch the first episode of the Witcher on Netflix instead, to see an actual competent version of Geralt of Rivia.
I wanted to like Witcher 3 so much. But I felt like a lot of the crafting/potion stuff was being forced on me if I wanted to do well, and I wasn't into that.