What are you playing?

I've finished Claire's first story in RE2 remake. It's easy to see why this topped lists last year, and it pretty much kept everything I loved about the original while improving everything else imaginable. It's just a fantastic game. I'll probably start Leon's second story later today.

... and eventually get back to Hollow Knight. Again.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I'll be the unpopular opinion trailblazer: Doom Eternal isn't as good as Doom 2016. Doom had a decent amount of verticality, Doom Eternal went full Mario. Doom reveled in a protagonist utterly disregarding any plot/lore/dialog, Doom Eternal has hours of cutscene material and a constantly jabbering AI assistant. Doom let you be a badass and gave you plenty of ammo to do it, Doom Eternal wanted to force you to play high-speed murderchess by giving you very little ammo and turning every single enemy into a bullet sponge so you'll have to flamethrower-chainsaw every third enemy ad nauseam.

That said, it's still miles ahead of most other FPS offerings of the last 10-20 years.

Alright, I'll be the unpopular opinion trailblazer: Doom Eternal isn't as good as Doom 2016. Doom had a decent amount of verticality, Doom Eternal went full Mario. Doom reveled in a protagonist utterly disregarding any plot/lore/dialog, Doom Eternal has hours of cutscene material and a constantly jabbering AI assistant. Doom let you be a badass and gave you plenty of ammo to do it, Doom Eternal wanted to force you to play high-speed murderchess by giving you very little ammo and turning every single enemy into a bullet sponge so you'll have to flamethrower-chainsaw every third enemy ad nauseam.

That said, it's still miles ahead of most other FPS offerings of the last 10-20 years.
Agreed 100%

GasBandit

Staff member
I have a problem where if I start a game, I feel anxious if I stop playing it and move on without finishing.

Games I feel like I need to finish:
Doom Eternal
Dragon Quest XI
Outer Worlds

What I usually play:
Almost anything else

These three games are taking up massive amounts of SSD space, but I can't bring myself to uninstall them because I "need" to finish them >_<

If I'm perfectly honest with myself though, I think I've gotten all the enjoyment out of them that I'm going to get... but... I have to "finish."

I almost permanently have the problem where I don't want to get too caught up in a game with a big story and a long time commitment because I don't have the time and energy to stay engaged...but then the games I like most are the ones that last a long time and have an engaging story. But when I start one like that, I invariably lose access or time for a while, and can't return without starting over.
For the moment, I have Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, and Divinity OS1 installed on my pc with half-completed play-throughs...but I don't remember where I left off, and I don't feel like starting over.
Having lots of fun with Tropico 5 btw, though the way they handle islands, the complete opposite of Tropico 4, has thrown me for a bit of a loop and means I'm currently stuck on the last mission...hmmm....

GasBandit

Staff member
installed on my pc with half-completed play-throughs...but I don't remember where I left off, and I don't feel like starting over.
This is also why I never finished wheel of time. The amount of time between Jordan's last book and Sanderson's first book was long enough for me to forget everything important, and there's no fucking way I'm suffering through the middle books again when Jordan was just getting paid by the word.

This is also why I never finished wheel of time. The amount of time between Jordan's last book and Sanderson's first book was long enough for me to forget everything important, and there's no fucking way I'm suffering through the middle books again when Jordan was just getting paid by the word.
I'm low-grade dreading whenever GRRM releases the next GOT book. I don't know if I have it in me to suffer through those last two books again.

I tried World War Z. To scratch my L4D2 itch. Playing with randos is so frustrating. As if all of them got a lobotomy.
The goal isnt to kill every fucking zombie! A trillion more will spawn and over run us, get to the fucking objective.

I wish I could punch every single one of them. We were fucking done, the only thing to do was get to the extraction point. It was 10 yards away. This anus breathing, shit eating waste of air just stood at the top of a cargo container kept spraying, thinking maybe he can singlehandedly destroy the zombie apocalypse.

I blame looter shooters and cod.

My copy of P5 Royal is coming Thursday instead of (I guess technically today), but since I expected it to be delayed way longer, I'LL TAKE IT!

Bannerlord just released...

I am conflicted, this would be the perfect game to waste time during the quarantine, but am I willing to pay 40€ for a HD reskin of Warbanner?

Mr. X can--and I cannot stress this enough--go fuck himself.

I accept that he chases, even that he can loop around and come out a door you're about to head through, but not for a one-way! His only route to ambush me was locked on the other side.

AND YET I go through a door where he's waiting and he immediately grabs me by the neck and bodyslams me.

I accept that he chases, even that he can loop around and come out a door you're about to head through, but not for a one-way! His only route to ambush me was locked on the other side.

AND YET I go through a door where he's waiting and he immediately grabs me by the neck and bodyslams me.
Yeah, there are some routing issues when it comes to Mr. X. He GENERALLY plays fair (he can basically quickly run through rooms that aren't loaded but has to account for everything in a loaded room) but he looks for the shortest route to get to you if he's figured out where you are, so it can sometimes lead to situations where he's waiting for you in a place you wouldn't be able to avoid him. That said, there are only two situations where he's hardcoded to know where you are (when you go a certain location and when you get a certain item) and the only time he can straight up teleport is in a very specific situation.

ElJuski

Staff member
Yeah, there are some routing issues when it comes to Mr. X. He GENERALLY plays fair (he can basically quickly run through rooms that aren't loaded but has to account for everything in a loaded room) but he looks for the shortest route to get to you if he's figured out where you are, so it can sometimes lead to situations where he's waiting for you in a place you wouldn't be able to avoid him. That said, there are only two situations where he's hardcoded to know where you are (when you go a certain location and when you get a certain item) and the only time he can straight up teleport is in a very specific situation.
Going through RE2 remake myself...man...Mr. X and his stupid little hat. Love how the characters shout the same things I'm shouting as I fail to put down the most basic zombo.

When a great philosopher said "X gonna give it to ya," they meant it.

Disco Elysium

Damn you, @Dei for buying this for me. Well, trading it for My Time at Portia, but still. Damn you. I had an existential crisis looking in the mirror. I argued with union workers over communism and workers rights. I made a complete, blustering fool with a waitress. A burly, bald, tattooed bloke broke my hand. I inadvertently supported child labor. I took up recycling and bumming everyone for spare change to make money. I was made the laughing stock of my colleagues. And woke up in such a drunken stupor that I didn't even know my name.

And then I played the game, which is also pretty good!

I’ve been playing Masters of Orion 2. Thanks again for the site. $4.19 Canadian for the two games together.

Im ragey from work today so it’s time to kill things in Monster Hunter.

I love MoO2. I particularly like how certain ship builds are unabashedly overpowered, and can wipe out whole fleets single handedly.

figmentPez

Staff member
I love MoO2. I particularly like how certain ship builds are unabashedly overpowered, and can wipe out whole fleets single handedly.
A telepathic race with a battleship loaded up with nothing but assault shuttles was a fun way to take over races who didn't have any ground based planet defenses. Just launch a swarm of shuttles to take over their starbase and you win! (Sometimes it's possible to take over the starbase/battlestation and then use that to destroy the ground-based missiles, but usually the ground-based weapons win, in my experience.)

Also in the dumb-but-fun category: fast missile racks to launch a stupid amount of cheap missiles in a single turn. Doesn't work on anything with good point defense, but in the early game a cloud of nuclear MIRV with only two ammo per tube can belch out a big enough cloud of destruction to destroy a fair amount in a single volley.

But yeah, there are also truly OP builds, that abuse stuff like enveloping damage, and phasing cloaks and such.

But yeah, there are also truly OP builds, that abuse stuff like enveloping damage, and phasing cloaks and such.
Late in the game, you can fit Time Warp Facilitators (take two turns), Phasing Cloaks (untargetable every other turn), Subspace Teleporters (transport instantly really far away), and Plasma Torpedos (huge damage) all together on really tiny ships. And if you're worried about ECM ruining your torpedos, you can swap 'em for Phasors or something nice and shield-piercing. Yeah, things can get ridiculous.

--Patrick

I broke down and bought Bannerlord. It is a broken mess, but the developers update it daily. The groundworks for a great game are there, but there is a lot missing.
Also the AI needs some serious balancing. Around day 300 one or two factions will start snowballing and own the whole map. No chance to have your own kingdom when an army of 5000 units starts besieging your castles and you have an army of maybe 300.