What are you playing?

Gris

Or at least, I watched eriol play through it.

Fascinating, definitely an Art! game.
Neat. If a tad strange.
Very pretty.

So now that someone apparently very skilled has arisen and has bee taking it to Denuvo again there's been the release of some Ubisoft mid budget Breath of the Wild clone Fenyx Rising Immortals etc. You know the one, it's the game you saw the name and just kept right on scrolling along and never thought about again. Anyways, it's fun.

Ubisoft is a company run by a cabal of serial sexual abusers and it's never done a damn thing about it.

It's got a dumb fuck name but was decent enough if you wanted more BOTW. It also thinks it's way funnier than it is in a way that harkens back to like late 90's early 2000's platformer/adventure games that gets a little grating.

Dave

Staff member
Been playing a lot of GeoGuessr while work is slow. Today I was playing and I started in a McDonald's parking lot. I could see a sign just outside but the arrows just wouldn't go there. I finally found my way out, went around the block, and found the sign again. "Deliveries".

It's got a dumb fuck name but was decent enough if you wanted more BOTW. It also thinks it's way funnier than it is in a way that harkens back to like late 90's early 2000's platformer/adventure games that gets a little grating.
Yeah, it's really fun. And I played through Breath of the Wild so I'm glad it basically dumps most of the basic cool traversal abilities right out of the gate. I played BOTW, don't bogart the movement options. It's basically Greek myths for babbies while you Breath of the Wild for babbies. It's legit fun though.

100% correct about it thinking it's funnier than it is, but I'm cool with listening to Adam Jensen do a weird Greek accent narrating the whole thing. Also, which I'm not gonna fault Elias Toufexis for since one of his parents is literally a Greek immigrant in Quebec.

Me before playing Mario 64 on Switch: Why do people say this had a bad camera? I don't remember ever having a problem with it back in the day.

Me after playing Mario 64 on Switch: This camera is the worst & I hate it.

Me before playing Mario 64 on Switch: Why do people say this had a bad camera? I don't remember ever having a problem with it back in the day.

It's funny how you're more forgivable about certain things in games when you're younger.

I had a lot more patience cut scenes, for example. Used to love Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2. But I can't stand cut scenes at all anymore, especially if they're overly long.

On the other hand, I'm amazed how good of a platformer it still is. Nintendo really was playing in the future when that was released.

Loop Hero fucking owns.

It's a Roguelike deckbuilding game with an interesting story and rad as hell tower defense tile placement gameplay and it's hitting me right in the perfect feels spot, deckbuilding roguelikes are my catnip. I guess that's who I am now. The roguelike guy. I've been binging Wizard of Legend (a very fast paced action Roguelike that's on Gamepass) that's basically a little bit Magicka and a lot bit hyper paced Isaac-like Roguelike.

One of my hot female coworkers mentioned last week that she also plays Smash Bros Ultimate, and that she's a Palutena main. I thought that's cool, and considered bringing my Switch to work so she and I might play a few rounds on our lunch breaks. Then over the weekend I played a few rounds as my main, Samus, against a high-level computer-controlled Palutena, and I realized something. You see, my Samus playstyle is often derogatorily referred to as "Spamus" online, which refers to a Samus who stays away from the opponent while spamming projectiles. Palutena, however, has a move that allows her to reflect projectiles. In other words, a competently played Palutena would easily counter how I usually play my Samus.

So now I'm not going to bring my Switch to work until I can develop a playstyle other than Spamus.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Picked up a cheap used copy of this a few weeks ago and finally got around to trying it.

Try being the key word because it tried my patience. In a word? Boring. I was quickly bored of it. I didn't even make it past the tutorial section because of the glacial pacing and, frankly speaking, dull characters. You can have all the pretty graphics in the world, but if the story and characters aren't engaging, then those pretty graphics are worthless. Half the gameplay was just riding horses and listening to boring conversations. The other half was excruciating tutorials for every single button prompt.

Maybe the game gets interesting once it opens up. Maybe I'll give it a second chance. But probably not. If the rest of the game is like this, as I expect it is, then it's just not for me.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Picked up a cheap used copy of this a few weeks ago and finally got around to trying it.

Try being the key word because it tried my patience. In a word? Boring. I was quickly bored of it. I didn't even make it past the tutorial section because of the glacial pacing and, frankly speaking, dull characters. You can have all the pretty graphics in the world, but if the story and characters aren't engaging, then those pretty graphics are worthless. Half the gameplay was just riding horses and listening to boring conversations. The other half was excruciating tutorials for every single button prompt.

Maybe the game gets interesting once it opens up. Maybe I'll give it a second chance. But probably not. If the rest of the game is like this, as I expect it is, then it's just not for me.
The biggest flaw of that game is starting you on that damned mountain. Even as someone who has played and loved it, when I think about playing again I remember that mountain and decide not to

I heard a lot of people excited for Little Nightmares 2, so when the first one went on sale for the Switch I grabbed it. It's interesting. Very similar to Limbo and Inside. Also, I'm absolutely not going to play it. I'm fine with games that make you learn how to play through repeated deaths. Not so much when each death comes with a 20 second load. Sheesh.

Loop Hero is a time vampire. I've lost myself in it for hours in the last two days. It was 2 pm when I sat down to play a few rounds, expecting it to be around 4 when I had other things to do. It's 7 now. Insidious. I didn't even notice the time go by.

Man, an old friend of mine is playing Loop Hero too and she's approaching it like the exact opposite as me. As soon as she can challenge the boss, she goes for it and is further along the story than I am. I'm way more into creating these broken setups out of rivers and thickets and meadows and chrono crystals and temporal beacons to use as few tiles as possible to get nearly unlimited healing and attack speed. I got overwhelmed during my last test because I failed to consider how powerful the dummies in the forest villages would get. I need to cast those into oblivion the second they spawn.

Loop Hero owns.

Dave

Staff member
I've looked at that game a few times but when I saw card game I moved away. I REALLY dislike CCG games. You can do everything right and your cards fuck you for no reason.

Red Dead Redemption 2

Well....fuck. Once I got out if that mountain area and was allowed to actually roam and do more side stuff, the game pulled me right in. The sheer level of little details in this game are incredible. It feels less like just a game and more like a fully realized world.

Two things I hate, though.

One, I spend the VAST amount of time staring at my horse's backside as it takes forever to get from point A to point B. There's some fast travel from your main camp to certain areas, but that's it. There's also a "cinematic travel" that does the travelling for you, but it doesn't help cut down the time and I might as well take the controls so I don't miss a stranger side thing.

Two, duels are the worst. I've died so many frigging times trying to win one because I can't get the hang of "SLOWLY press down on R2."

Red Dead Redemption 2

Well....fuck. Once I got out if that mountain area and was allowed to actually roam and do more side stuff, the game pulled me right in. The sheer level of little details in this game are incredible. It feels less like just a game and more like a fully realized world.

Two things I hate, though.

One, I spend the VAST amount of time staring at my horse's backside as it takes forever to get from point A to point B. There's some fast travel from your main camp to certain areas, but that's it. There's also a "cinematic travel" that does the travelling for you, but it doesn't help cut down the time and I might as well take the controls so I don't miss a stranger side thing.

Two, duels are the worst. I've died so many frigging times trying to win one because I can't get the hang of "SLOWLY press down on R2."
You can set up camp anywhere by holding...Y I think, pitch the tent and then fast travel that way but I don't think you can do it during missions. It does help to cut down on some of the longer treks but like you said you lose out on the stranger missions.

It's one of my favourite games, by far, but both of the issues you pointed out bother me as well.

I've looked at that game a few times but when I saw card game I moved away. I REALLY dislike CCG games. You can do everything right and your cards fuck you for no reason.
The card aspect works a bit differently than you might expect. So far at least from what I've played, you use them to create your encounters that you can place on the loop that dictates what resources you farm that run and what enemies you face.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're not going to die from a band hand because new enemies will be constantly adding cards to your hand. It's bad tile placement that will get you killed.

Yeah, you're not going to die from a band hand because new enemies will be constantly adding cards to your hand. It's bad tile placement that will get you killed.
I'll echo this: you have plenty of easy ways to ether get new cards or reshuffle cards you don't want, and you always have some control over what is IN the deck. You don't want Deserts or Sanddunes to reduce yours and your enemy's max HP? Don't include them. Don't want Vampires? Don't bring Vampire Manors.

It's entirely about putting down tiles that will get you killed, but you can always just... not put down tiles for a bit if you need to get other tiles.