What are you playing?

One of my hot female coworkers mentioned last week that she also plays Smash Bros Ultimate, and that she's a Palutena main. I thought that's cool, and considered bringing my Switch to work so she and I might play a few rounds on our lunch breaks. Then over the weekend I played a few rounds as my main, Samus, against a high-level computer-controlled Palutena, and I realized something. You see, my Samus playstyle is often derogatorily referred to as "Spamus" online, which refers to a Samus who stays away from the opponent while spamming projectiles. Palutena, however, has a move that allows her to reflect projectiles. In other words, a competently played Palutena would easily counter how I usually play my Samus.

So now I'm not going to bring my Switch to work until I can develop a playstyle other than Spamus.
Update to his, so we finally played a match today at work, and yes, she beat me with her Palutena.

Ok, has anyone played Star Wars Squadrons and if so can you explain to me why the control scheme was designed by fucking psychopaths?

Seriously, the most bizarre control setup for a flight game I've ever tried. Jesus, Ace Combat has been around for decades and everyone apes that control scheme for a reason.

Ok, has anyone played Star Wars Squadrons and if so can you explain to me why the control scheme was designed by fucking psychopaths?

Seriously, the most bizarre control setup for a flight game I've ever tried. Jesus, Ace Combat has been around for decades and everyone apes that control scheme for a reason.
I've played it and I love it but I also spent like an hour mapping controls to my hotas

I found Squadrons really annoying because there's a billion different controls and if you aren't using a hotas, it's even more shitty.

It's impossible to make it work on a controller in my opinion. No matter what it feels wrong. Very odd choice.

I legit don't want to unpack my dumb ass hotas for a game I'm very unlikely to get that into.

Haven't played it, quite enjoyed 1 and 2...What's changed to make it horrible? Freemium crap? Enforced multiplayer? Bad controls? Unbalanced classes?
Just want to see if it's things that would bother me too or not or whatever, don't know anything about the game :)

Monster Hunter Rise! It’s awesome and I love it! Like GU, you get to have a bunch of cats so I chose a pink leopard pattern and have an adorable army on missions for me.

They kept the improvements from World that streamlined things and I appreciate that. I like playing bowgun and they changed the control for the Switch and I am liking the new layout. Learning to climb walls took me a while, but I figured it out. Our son mastered it instantly of course lol.

GasBandit

Staff member
The latest Risk of Rain 2 update added the Bandit into the game, and he's kinda interesting... very glass cannon though.

And for some reason, now the game keeps switching me irrevocably into gamepad control mode, even when I don't have a gamepad installed.

I don't know if it's the new update or what, but I don't think I like this game anymore. So much more bullshit seems to be happening - and in a game that was already based largely on fucking you with bullshit, that's saying something.

Hollow Knight

Been severely depressed the past week, so as usual, I've been spending the vast majority of my time being sucked into a game.

In this case, I've had the game for ages. Even played about 8 hours of before. Unfortunately, Metroidvania games are the kind of genre where it'll suck me in for hours at a time...until I take a break from it. Then I find it difficult to get back into the groove of things. I completely forget what abilities I have, how to use them, where to find things (even when a map is involved). And I just wind up not playing it or starting over from scratch. I've done this with many excellent Metroidvania games like Outland, Guacamelee, Ori & the Blind Forest, etc. And like I said, it happened with Hollow Knight, too. For whatever reason, I decided to start this up again.

And now I'm nearing the final boss, unlocked most abilities, and found most of the collectibles. I definitely won't be attempted some achievements and won't be trying to 100% the damn thing because the game is already frustratingly difficult at times. But damn if I haven't enjoyed it for the most part. I love all the movement abilities you gradually unlock to the point that you're zooming through areas. There's a lot of backtracking as you'd expect in this kind of game, but the sheer amount of movement options makes it at least enjoyable to zip around.

I’m taking my time with Monster Hunter. I’m doing every quest in each level and spending a lot of time with the kitten.

I think they did away with hot drink and cold drinks and I love it! Ammo crafting is streamlined which is great too! We played World and then restarted GU. Things like having to carry three types of pick axes on a materials run was rough.

I haven’t needed to fight anything more than once solo and once with our son yet though. I assume that will change when I hit Nargacuga (if he still has a good pierce LBG) and/or find a decent armour set.

I’m taking my time with Monster Hunter. I’m doing every quest in each level and spending a lot of time with the kitten.

I think they did away with hot drink and cold drinks and I love it! Ammo crafting is streamlined which is great too! We played World and then restarted GU. Things like having to carry three types of pick axes on a materials run was rough.

I haven’t needed to fight anything more than once solo and once with our son yet though. I assume that will change when I hit Nargacuga (if he still has a good pierce LBG) and/or find a decent armour set.

My son just got the Bioshock collection for Switch, and he's been asking for my help, and it drives me nuts how few games stick in me like those did. Like, I just replayed them a year ago and I want to do it again. The story. The setting. The powers. All three just lodged into my head permanently, and I'm pretty sure every time I start a game from here on out, I'm going to hope it hits like those did.

Holy shit. Rage 2 has a slight bug in that YOU CAN'T COMPLETE THE FUCKING STORY. Apparently they've only know about it for a year or two, so I'm sure a fix will come out any day. Until then, I guess I'll be moving on to something else. Sheesh.

Dave

Staff member
So only 6 people can play and nobody sees the video clips. They HAVE to watch the stream, which has a delay. So it didn't work well. Sorry, Tin!

Disco Elysium:

This game is fucking fantastic. I've listened to my inner demons, snorted a mountain of amphetamines, punched a child and died three times to conversation checks where my characters faint grasp on reality has broken.

Way back when I first played planescape torment it blew me away with what a computer rpg could be, and this is the first game since that has recaptured that feeling. If you like deep single player RPGs you need this game

Disco Elysium:

This game is fucking fantastic. I've listened to my inner demons, snorted a mountain of amphetamines, punched a child and died three times to conversation checks where my characters faint grasp on reality has broken.

Way back when I first played planescape torment it blew me away with what a computer rpg could be, and this is the first game since that has recaptured that feeling. If you like deep single player RPGs you need this game
But what did you do in the game?

Disco Elysium:

My character is a drug addict apocalyptic hobocop who spends most of his time intoxicated to keep his inner demons quiet, and the only reason my partner puts up with him is because once you drag his hungover ass to the crime scene he can rainman what happened.