What are you playing?

Sweet Jesus is the final Joustus house hard, no matter how loaded I get my deck with super cards the AI kicks my ass.

Not to mention the temptation that is a gem sweep .

Thanks once again to PS Plus Premium, I played Days Gone for the first time.

It's...okay, I guess? It's yet another open world sandbox game, and not particularly novel. I like the scrounging mechanics, but the combat isn't all that great. I think I'll probably uninstall it.
Another one I'm giving up on after giving it a second chance. I did a few more missions, but everything just pissed me off. Like an extended flashback on how he met his girlfriend. Which is not just endless cutscenes, but driving where you don't have control. And then all of a sudden, I had control to lose a fist fight. Complete and utter bullshit. Then I did I mission to save a little girl, which included a "boss" fight with a bear. Which I could cheese by just climbing on a truck and shooting it from below. It was a joke. And then on the way back to the base with the girl, we had to go through a tunnel. Game tells me to get off my bike to fight an ambush, but then I get so far and it's like "You're too away from the girl!" It was so fucking janky that I gave up there after all the other frustrations.

I hated that game. I wanted to like it because I do kind of enjoy mindlessly filling out maps in open world games as long as they stay engaging but whoever decided on those random sniper traps throughout the world can fuck off and die. That one thing ruined the game for me to the point that I literally have nothing good to say about it.

I hated that game. I wanted to like it because I do kind of enjoy mindlessly filling out maps in open world games as long as they stay engaging but whoever decided on those random sniper traps throughout the world can fuck off and die. That one thing ruined the game for me to the point that I literally have nothing good to say about it.
Oh man I forgot the sniper traps. Those were absolute bullshit and would ruin everything it had going for it.

God yes. I ran into a sniper trap RIGHT after finishing a mission and it was so goddamn annoying.

GasBandit

Staff member
My friend got tired of Raft way before I did. I just finished the story on my own. I wish there was something like Skyrim's radiant quest system to keep generating things to do, but it is also relaxing just to chug around the ocean and fishing and stuff.

Trying to play Death Stranding for the first

"Try" and "play" being the operative words.

The endless cutscenes are trying my patience. And I'm not so much "playing" but watching it so far. Just let me PLAY it, already.

The endless cutscenes are trying my patience. And I'm not so much "playing" but watching it so far. Just let me PLAY it, already.
That's kind of how I felt about Monster Hunter...like the first 5 or 10 minutes of the game felt like cutscenes. I was so exhausted with them that by the time I could actually run around and do stuff, I was like "screw it" and shut it down and never opened it back up

And I give up. What little gameplay I actually got, it was clumsy, frustrating, and slow paced. Doing a weird balancing act with cargo on your back while also trying to traverse rough terrain is just not my idea of a good time.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Just plugging away at more games offered through PS Plus Premium. Really surprised by how much is offered, honestly. It doesn't offer brand new PS5 games like Sackboy or Ratchet & Clank, but what IS available is pretty impressive (like the above mentioned Death Stranding, which was the PS5 version).

And this is...okay. The story is entertaining, but the whole thing feels like I'm on a railroad without much chance to really slow down and explore at my own pace. There's an unfathomable amount of banter among the characters, which is constantly entertaining, but it's annoying that the banter will suddenly cut off because you reached a certain checkpoint that other dialogue has to overtake it. The combat is fine, but limited. When you have the whole crew together at the same time, it becomes kind of hard to follow all the craziness.

Still, I'm enjoying the characters and story enough that I'll keep going, I guess.

And I give up. What little gameplay I actually got, it was clumsy, frustrating, and slow paced. Doing a weird balancing act with cargo on your back while also trying to traverse rough terrain is just not my idea of a good time.
I really like Death Stranding, but it is absolutely not a game for everyone. I also like truck simulator games, and that is basically what this is, it's more of a vibe game where you're just delivering cargo and exploring big open spaces while building infrastructure for other players to use.

I really like Death Stranding, but it is absolutely not a game for everyone. I also like truck simulator games, and that is basically what this is, it's more of a vibe game where you're just delivering cargo and exploring big open spaces while building infrastructure for other players to use.
Yeah, I just rewatched Yahtzee's review of it and he compared it to trucker style games where he could pop on a podcast and listen to it while delivering something in-game. Even just looking at game footage for later in the game, I can already tell this isn't the game for me.

It's 100% this, with a smattering of stealth and action bits anytime you enter BT/Smuggler territory or do a boss fight. I genuinely think this game is the best Kojima's put out though, at least from a ludonarrative direction: the gameplay is 100% about delivering the POINT of the story Kojima is clumsily telling in the cutscenes and it does a better job of it than the actual story.

It's 100% this, with a smattering of stealth and action bits anytime you enter BT/Smuggler territory or do a boss fight. I genuinely think this game is the best Kojima's put out though, at least from a ludonarrative direction: the gameplay is 100% about delivering the POINT of the story Kojima is clumsily telling in the cutscenes and it does a better job of it than the actual story.
It's 100% a vibe, and about helping people you won't be around to see use that help, and it feels kinda nice.

I've been playing Multiversus a whole bunch, it's realy scratching that Smash Bros 64 itch I hadn't really scratched since middle-school. They just added Gizmo from Gremlins and he's a fucking blast.

But what I'm really obssesed with right now, literally to the point of thinking about it all night as I try to sleep, is Immortality. It's from the same creator as Her Story and Telling Lies, which I haven't played yet, but the concept of Immortality, "finding" and scrolling through footage of old movies to uncover a mystery really made me want to try it before the other two.

The "gameplay" is kind of limited and a bit random, you "zoom in" into props, faces or places and it's "AI- matched to another instance of that same face, prop or whatever. But the interface itself starts to become part of the mystery and I can only recall novels and maybe some tv shows that have grabbed my brain the way this game has.

GasBandit

Staff member
We are not... good. We've barely figured out the mechanics.
Well, here's a tip. You can pretty much just run in more or less a straight line, and stumble across enough berries, seeds, and carrots to feed yourself on uncooked food all throughout autumn.

But if you can get a crock pot going and catch some rabbits for morsels, 1 morsel and 3 berries/carrots/mushrooms will make meatballs which are SO much more nutritious.

Well, here's a tip. You can pretty much just run in more or less a straight line, and stumble across enough berries, seeds, and carrots to feed yourself on uncooked food all throughout autumn.

But if you can get a crock pot going and catch some rabbits for morsels, 1 morsel and 3 berries/carrots/mushrooms will make meatballs which are SO much more nutritious.
It's embarrassing how bad I am, but I literally have never managed to kill/catch a rabbit yet. We often die to spooky shadow monsters at night when we run out of wood, or like pig demon men who do not like us or once, a lot of spiders.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's embarrassing how bad I am, but I literally have never managed to kill/catch a rabbit yet. We often die to spooky shadow monsters at night when we run out of wood, or like pig demon men who do not like us or once, a lot of spiders.
First of all, be collecting EVERYTHING you see, constantly. You want to build up to, and keep, a stack of 40 grass, twigs, flint, stone, and at least 20 logs as soon as possible and any time you dip below there, take steps to top yourself back up. In the beginning, be on the lookout for a rock biome with boulders that have gold streaks through them, and try to mine 20 or so gold.

To catch a rabbit, make a trap out of grass. You don't have to bait it, just set it and chase the rabbit into it.

Find a herd of beefalo if you can, and set up camp a screen or two away from it. To start your camp, build a fire pit (the kind with the stone ring) and a science machine. Burn down a forest (not near your base) to collect charcoal to make a crock pot, and if you have extra charcoal, make some meat drying racks.

Once you have a base, use a shovel (you'll have to build your first one next to the science machine, after that you can make one anywhere) to dig up berry bushes, twig saplings, and grass tufts. Replant them close to your base and then fertilize them with beefalo poop. Then you'll have close-by sources of basic resources.

But stay away from the beefalo when their butts turn pink. That's mating season and they don't put up with people then.

Some other miscellaneous tips-
Holding down F will repeatedly chase and attack the nearest hostile creature. Holding down CTRL-F will chase and attack the nearest creature whether it is hostile or not.

Holding down space bar will pick up the nearest item, or if you're holding a tool, use it on the nearest appropriate target. This is good for chopping down trees quickly and easily.

If you cut down too many trees without replanting them (you'll get pine cones or birch nuts when you cut down a tree in addition to wood), you risk creating a treeguard. So try to replant as you go. But also build up a stock of pine cones too, because if you DO get a treeguard, you can placate it by planting a huge number of trees while you flee it.

If you find you have a hard time with combat, have somebody play as Wendy. Wendy can summon her sister's ghost, and the ghost (Abigail) is an excellent fighter against swarms of low level enemies like spiders, frogs, and is also a big help against hounds and pigs. If you have a Wendy in your party, and a frog pond or two near your main camp, you will never go hungry.

In the winter, mine ice. It can be used as crock pot filler instead of things like berries or vegetables (IE one morsel or frog leg and three pieces of ice will make meatballs just as good as if you had used berries in the recipe)

First of all, be collecting EVERYTHING you see, constantly. You want to build up to, and keep, a stack of 40 grass, twigs, flint, stone, and at least 20 logs as soon as possible and any time you dip below there, take steps to top yourself back up. In the beginning, be on the lookout for a rock biome with boulders that have gold streaks through them, and try to mine 20 or so gold.

To catch a rabbit, make a trap out of grass. You don't have to bait it, just set it and chase the rabbit into it.

Find a herd of beefalo if you can, and set up camp a screen or two away from it. To start your camp, build a fire pit (the kind with the stone ring) and a science machine. Burn down a forest (not near your base) to collect charcoal to make a crock pot, and if you have extra charcoal, make some meat drying racks.

Once you have a base, use a shovel (you'll have to build your first one next to the science machine, after that you can make one anywhere) to dig up berry bushes, twig saplings, and grass tufts. Replant them close to your base and then fertilize them with beefalo poop. Then you'll have close-by sources of basic resources.

But stay away from the beefalo when their butts turn pink. That's mating season and they don't put up with people then.

Some other miscellaneous tips-
Holding down F will repeatedly chase and attack the nearest hostile creature. Holding down CTRL-F will chase and attack the nearest creature whether it is hostile or not.

Holding down space bar will pick up the nearest item, or if you're holding a tool, use it on the nearest appropriate target. This is good for chopping down trees quickly and easily.

If you cut down too many trees without replanting them (you'll get pine cones or birch nuts when you cut down a tree in addition to wood), you risk creating a treeguard. So try to replant as you go. But also build up a stock of pine cones too, because if you DO get a treeguard, you can placate it by planting a huge number of trees while you flee it.

If you find you have a hard time with combat, have somebody play as Wendy. Wendy can summon her sister's ghost, and the ghost (Abigail) is an excellent fighter against swarms of low level enemies like spiders, frogs, and is also a big help against hounds and pigs. If you have a Wendy in your party, and a frog pond or two near your main camp, you will never go hungry.

In the winter, mine ice. It can be used as crock pot filler instead of things like berries or vegetables (IE one morsel or frog leg and three pieces of ice will make meatballs just as good as if you had used berries in the recipe)
Amazing. Some of this I had figured out, but I just assumed the traps worked like... eventually. Didn't know you had to chase things into them. Never did figure out where charcoal came from.

You're a champion. A hero of the people.

GasBandit

Staff member
Amazing. Some of this I had figured out, but I just assumed the traps worked like... eventually. Didn't know you had to chase things into them. Never did figure out where charcoal came from.

You're a champion. A hero of the people.
Well, if you put the traps right on top of the rabbit holes, they almost do kind of just work. Also the traps work on frogs, and since the frogs will try to attack you they are much easier to lure into the traps.

And in case it's not obvious, you would use a torch to set fire to a tree to set a forest fire. Then when the fire has gone out, you cut down the burned tree to get the charcoal.

It's also in your best interest to build as many tooth traps as you can, once you start getting hounds teeth. Put them all together in a clump and when something is chasing you, lead it through them.

Absolutely research and create a suit of log armor as soon as you can. It will extend your life in a fight to an astonishing degree, and all you need to make it is logs and grass.

Disney Dreamlight Valley. I couldn’t resist. I was t strong enough.

And I love it! It seems very much like animal crossing with Disney characters.

After watching that Salt Factory video on Fallout 2, I had to crack it open again. It's been many years since I played the game that began my transition from console to PC gaming.

Still fucking awesome. I need to get a scale miniature (I want him to be 12 fucking feet tall compared to Space Marines) for Warhammering. Probably via a 3D printer.