Whats for Dinner?

At first glance, I thought that was the actual paint job on the front of the oven, and thought, "I know people say everything in kitchens is always 'avocado,' but this is ridiculous."

--Patrick
But the avocados are in wuv!

But what you just said brought back serious 70's design flashbacks. My grandmother had the "all avocado" cabinets and drawers until she had her kitchen redone in the mid-90's.

Spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, pecans and almonds with flatbread topped with basil, mozzarella and sundried tomatoes. Also covered in a ton of sea salt as I’ve been dizzy due to low blood pressure.

Paired with a fine Diet Coke.

87E9DC61-0999-47C8-80DB-BF35B0532721.jpeg

Home alone for 10 days. I can make all the food that I like but that she doesn't.
Day 1: Chili thickened nicely with masa. She likes all her stews/chilis/gumbos to all be soupy as shit.

I can make all the food that I like but that she doesn't.
The wife made baked beans this past week, but, while she remembered the molasses, she completely forgot to add her usual amount of sugar to the pot. "I'm sorry they're not as sweet as they usually are," she said. "I think they're fantastic," I replied after years of saying I thought the beans were always too sweet. "You can forget to add the sugar again any time you want."

--Patrick

Day 2 was leftovers. That's the problem with cooking for 1...it's always leftovers the next day.
Day 3: Tavern style pot roast, cheesy mashed potatoes, buffalo cauliflower bites
1597617462198.png

Super salty red beans and rice!

I still can’t believe that’s my medical advice: eat more salt. He clarified that it meant sea salt on things as opposed to McStuff.

I'm glad it's opened up more stuff for people that can't/don't eat meat, but the rebranding of "vegan" to lplant-based" will always be funny.

the rebranding of "vegan" to lplant-based" will always be funny.
For me, it’s the rebranding of “margarine” to “plant butter,” because:
1) This means there’s gonna be a silly commercial at some point with a farmer going out to “milk” his corn/soybeans/Canola.
2) Changing the name doesn’t change the fact that it’s probably still hydrogenated/full of trans fats.

—Plantrick

I can’t eat meat because my migraine meds changed how it tastes so I’m excited to try my popcorn chicken again!!!

This is my crack because, like doing crack would be a bad mix with my meds.

For me, it’s the rebranding of “margarine” to “plant butter,” because:
1) This means there’s gonna be a silly commercial at some point with a farmer going out to “milk” his corn/soybeans/Canola.
2) Changing the name doesn’t change the fact that it’s probably still hydrogenated/full of trans fats.

—Plantrick
Omg I hope it’s loaded full of all kinds of that garbage. I want it to taste good!

I’m a realistic vegetarian. I’m aware that plant based doesn’t equal healthy.

If I want a healthy supper, I will make it myself.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm glad it's opened up more stuff for people that can't/don't eat meat, but the rebranding of "vegan" to lplant-based" will always be funny.
But plant-based isn't the same as vegan. Burger King got in trouble for that, because they were cooking their plant-based patties on the same equipment as their meat Whoppers. Switching from "vegan" to "plant-based" frees them from the ridiculous standards that vegans can have. I'm not sure how often it comes up, but an example: plant-based could, presumably, still use "natural red 4" to dye their food, since dye isn't a base element of the food, while it wouldn't qualify as vegan.

But plant-based isn't the same as vegan. Burger King got in trouble for that, because they were cooking their plant-based patties on the same equipment as their meat Whoppers. Switching from "vegan" to "plant-based" frees them from the ridiculous standards that vegans can have. I'm not sure how often it comes up, but an example: plant-based could, presumably, still use "natural red 4" to dye their food, since dye isn't a base element of the food, while it wouldn't qualify as vegan.
That feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

figmentPez

Staff member
That feels like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Unless there's a government body that has defined what "plant-based" means, legally, I not sure that such a lawsuit could get anywhere. I don't recall any lawsuit about soy cheese that contains casein (a protein commonly sourced from milk, though lab-made is more common than it used to be).

Unless there's a government body that has defined what "plant-based" means, legally, I not sure that such a lawsuit could get anywhere. I don't recall any lawsuit about soy cheese that contains casein (a protein commonly sourced from milk, though lab-made is more common than it used to be).
All the lawsuits have been deferred until the FDA decides what it wants to do, you know that organization that has for some "unknown" reason had five commissioners in the last three years.

Link to the penultimate FDA commish being commishy

But up here in Canada, that whole shit got smacked down really fast.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
All the lawsuits have been deferred until the FDA decides what it wants to do, you know that organization that has for some "unknown" reason had five commissioners in the last three years.

But up here in Canada, that whole shit got smacked down really fast.
Some soy cheese has controversially used casein since at least the 90s. Any lawsuits would have been long before the Trump presidency. The whole "plant-based" vs "vegan" vs other descriptors thing has been going on for decades. This is not a new thing, though I'll admit that I'm completely unfamiliar with how Canada has handled it.

Mashed Grands butter-flavored biscuits into flat rectangles. Rolled up Nathan's Famous dogs into each biscuit. Stuck 'em in the air fryer. Yum
1599774020406.png