Whats for Dinner?

Cranky made dinner tonight. Pork schnitzel with German potato salad and onion & cucumber salad.
While slicing the cucumbers, he cut off the tip of his finger (& nail) on the mandoline.
An hour later, after enlisting my help in staunching and dressing his bleeding finger, he continued pounding the pork* until flat, thereby reopening his wound. Also he set off the smoke alarms while cooking. TWICE.

Dinner was really good, though.

--Patrick
*not a euphemism.

A week ago I realized I was running low on yeast and all of the stores around me seemed to be sold out. Out of desperation, I started the process of creating a sourdough starter from scratch from wild captured yeast. It took more than a week to mature to a usable state, but it's finally paying off and I have some delicious sourdough.

Just in time for bread to be easily available in stores again.

Attachments

Dave

Staff member
A week ago I realized I was running low on yeast and all of the stores around me seemed to be sold out. Out of desperation, I started the process of creating a sourdough starter from scratch from wild captured yeast. It took more than a week to mature to a usable state, but it's finally paying off and I have some delicious sourdough.

Just in time for bread to be easily available in stores again.
You couldn't buy it Sunday. It was risen.

Honestly we bought an extra pack, so if you want it, just holler. It's good through 2021.
...or anyone else who wants it.

--Patrick
I appreciate the offer! I did end up already finding a big bag of restaurant yeast right after I had started the sourdough though, so now I have both kinds handy. Turns out a small indian grocery store near me is fully stocked still, so I managed to grab some bulk bags of yeast, rice and flour.

Dave

Staff member
Fast food? Man I would like some fast food right about now. Which is great that I'm feeling that way. Means we're eating more homemade stuff.

I'm missing my friday night burger + movie.

Still several more weeks until that can happen.
Barring things going even more pear shaped.

Honestly it tastes great. I'm not familiar with halal carts, hence the apostrophes (apparently they're a New York thing?) But here's the recipe if you want it.

Haven’t gone out for any junk food since Covid hit, so today I made a Crunchwrap supreme. I don’t care what anybody says, they’re goooood.

ABADB088-7587-4D3D-906D-1A7F3EBE5340.jpeg

Haven’t gone out for any junk food since Covid hit, so today I made a Crunchwrap supreme. I don’t care what anybody says, they’re goooood.

View attachment 34018
I've done this at home myself. As long as you're using fresh ingredients and keeping the salt down, the ones you make at home are quite a bit healthier than you would get from Taco Bell. There is no reason to feel guilty.

Try doing a breakfast one next time! Scrambled eggs, with low fat cheese and sausage crumble. Add a bit of salsa to it and it's great!

We love "breakfast sandwiches" here. Just toast some bread or bagel or English muffin, then in a Tupperware about the same size as your bread you microwave a beaten egg. Put a spreadable condiment on the bread, then cheese, the put the hot egg on top of the cheese and add a topping vegetable if you want to finish the sandwich.

Did my own take on Huervos Rancheros Tacos this AM. Taco-seasoned ground turkey (left over from taco night on Friday) with scrambled eggs and shredded cheese inside tacos, with a hash brown patty on the side.

I just made my grandfather’s chicken curry but substituted two types of mushrooms. It has a thick flour and butter sauce. Thousands of calories, but it’s spicy and good.

Pairs well with half frozen Diet Coke.

First time I've had bratwurst with secret stadium sauce in ages.

Too bad it's not surrounded by a ballpark, a bunch of fans, and the Brewers up 5-1 on the Pirates going into the 9th and Hader coming on for the save.

(EDIT: That was for the disagree, Pierogi-lover.)

Last edited: