Whats for Dinner?

Sorry for the bad quality picture. My friend took the pictures and didn't bother to turn on the lights. I mad a 4 pound sous vide rib eye roast, scalloped potatoes, honey glazed carrots, red cabbage with apples (Rotkohl in german. A traditional sidedish to roasts) and a bordelaise sauce made with home made demiglace.
thumbnail.jpg

Dave

Staff member
One of the gifts I got was fresh (well, frozen but caught fresh) salmon from the seas off Alaska. My brother in law did an Alaskan fishing trip this last summer and he gave me like 5 pounds of fresh fileted salmon.

I'm asking Halforums...how should I cook this?

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the gifts I got was fresh (well, frozen but caught fresh) salmon from the seas off Alaska. My brother in law did an Alaskan fishing trip this last summer and he gave me like 5 pounds of fresh fileted salmon.

Grilled, with lemon, pepper, and garlic.

here are three ways I'd probably cook it. :D

Smoked. Most definitely smoked.

One of my favorite childhood memories from living in Alaska is King Salmon fishing every summer at the Kenai River in Soldotna, while the smell of people smoking freshly caught salmon was all around me. Miss it a lot.

how should I cook this?
If you've had salmon before, then you should know how you like it (or how you don't like it) prepared.
But if you haven't had a lot of salmon, the easiest ways to prepare it at home are probably grilled/fried (with lemon or teriyaki glaze), poached (lemon, dill, shallots), and my favorite is probably having it in a pastry-covered pot pie/casserole with leeks and other veggies.

--Patrick

I got the Elder Scrolls cookbook for Christmas! I can't wait to try it out!
I have enjoyed using that book since I got it last year. Here's a list of the recipes I have made from it.

Seared Nordic Barnacles
Lavender and Honey Bread
Pea Soup
Chicken Dumplings

My girlfriend loves the barnacles (seared scallops with bacon).

Wagyu, second style. Roasted potatoes and grilled (pan fried) leeks from the Elder Scrolls cookbook.

20201227_180104.jpg

Each 1lb steak made 3 meals, so 6 in total for the 2 steaks.

My family christmas dinner was last night, due to visits being separated out w/r/t the pandemic.

Crab salad with apple, avocado and artichoke

Truffled canneloni

Shortrib lasagna with a side salad of baby spinach, pear, cranberry & hazelnut.

Mandarin sorbet tart with hazelnut chocolate swirl

Made the "Goatherd's Pie" from the Elder Scrolls cookbook.
It had a couple techniques I'd never tried before:
  • Mixing an egg in the mashed potatoes. This helped a lot with structure, and browning.
  • Mixing some tomato paste in with the meat. This added a very nice zing.
This book also uses leeks for everything that would normally call for onion. I don't mind. I love leeks.

I did make one small change to the recipe, adding consomme instead of beef broth. Turned out amazing!

2020-12-28 16.49.22.jpg

2020-12-28 16.51.32.jpg

We celebrated Christams Eve (well, my bd) with fancy food. This evening, I'll be dining alone on pizza, M&Ms, pizza, and assorted unidentifiable junk food. Possibly also a pizza.