Whats for Dinner?

Basically, to preseve expensive spices they were blended with salt up until the 1950s.

My mix is
48 salt
3 pepper
1 nutmeg
1 paprika
1 garlic powder

I had an egg salad sandwich for the very first time a couple weeks ago. My wife was dumbfounded that I'd never had one before. I told her "yeah, but usually when I decide to go through the trouble of cooking eggs, I end up wanting something else more...like deviled eggs, or a fried egg sandwich or something"

Ham and eggs.
20210505_144440.jpg

Spray silicone muffin molds with non-stick spray, line with deli ham, crack an egg in. Air fryer on 320F 8 minutes (bacon setting). Salt and pepper. Eggs are nice and runny, just the way I like them.

Home alone today. Went out for Turkish food.

1621123549041.png

Meze (little bites of food..kinda like tapas, I guess). Dolma, tomato, feta, hummus, haydari (yogurt dip made of cream cheese, garlic, plain yogurt, fresh dill, mint leaves), sigara boregi (basically a feta cheese flauta if you're familiar with mexican food), sucuk (lamb sausage), olives and fried eggplant.

1621123614784.png

Hünkar beğendi, lamb chunks braised in a rich tomato-based sauce over an eggplant puree.

Everything was amazing.

Home alone today. Went out for Turkish food.

View attachment 37869
Meze (little bites of food..kinda like tapas, I guess). Dolma, tomato, feta, hummus, haydari (yogurt dip made of cream cheese, garlic, plain yogurt, fresh dill, mint leaves), sigara boregi (basically a feta cheese flauta if you're familiar with mexican food), sucuk (lamb sausage), olives and fried eggplant.

View attachment 37870
Hünkar beğendi, lamb chunks braised in a rich tomato-based sauce over an eggplant puree.

Everything was amazing.
Brofist because we went to our favorite Turkish place tonight, too! (No photos, though.)

Wife's birthday. We got a freebie burger from Smashburger for takeout. For me, I ordered a Turkey Burger, no mayo, no lettuce, no tomato, substitute BBQ sauce for the mayo. And, we both got our favorite side from Smashburger: Smashtots (tater tots with rosemary and olive oil).

What we ended up with when I got everything home was my wife's free burger, two orders of tots that tasted like the tots had been left in the fryer too long, and a Turkey burger... WITH mayo, WITH lettuce, WITH tomato - and no BBQ sauce in sight.

The first time I called back to complain, the guy asked me to hold for a moment - and disconnected me.

The second time, it went to a recorded essentially saying "we're sorry, we're taking care of customers in the restaurant, please try our online ordering or on our app."

The third time I called, the phone got disconnected a few seconds after I called.

The fourth time I called, I got the manager - and after I explained everything, he apologized profusely and promptly asked if I wanted my order re-made. I wasn't going to refuse - especially since it wasn't going to cost me anything.

So I get there and it looked like the entire kitchen staff had gotten a chewing out - and they saw me walk in to the restaurant. They gave me a bag that had enough rosemary and olive oil dripping from FOUR orders of tots to burn down half the east Valley, and two burgers that had envelopes with our order written SPECIFICALLY in Sharpie.

Essentially, four burgers for the price of one, and six orders of tots for the price of two.

I just realized it's been a while since I've had beets. I used to have them fairly often growing up because my grandmother made them, and I liked them well enough. But since Mr. Z and Li'l Z are "meh" on beets, I can't remember the last time I had some.

Get some. Bake 'em like a spud. Tell the family they're fancy new deep red sweet potatoes.
Good idea, but won't work. They both know what beets are. Mr. Z loves pretty much every kind of vegetable, and Li'l Z's not bad about them, either, but beets are just not one of them. Oh well!

Good idea, but won't work. They both know what beets are. Mr. Z loves pretty much every kind of vegetable, and Li'l Z's not bad about them, either, but beets are just not one of them. Oh well!
Beets have a chemical that some people perceive as tasting like dirt.
I'm one of those people. To me, beets just taste like they were pulled up from the garden and never washed. My wife isn't one of those people, and she loves beets, but we never have it.

Cilantro has a chemical that people perceive as soap. I'm not one of those people, but my wife is. I love cilantro, but we never have it.

I worked with someone who hated cilantro because of that.

I finally have my appetite back after being gross and needing to live on soup and crackers for a week:
B0B14000-E2CC-4C8B-9A4C-B5109E7F6203.jpeg

Follow up: Higher up in the company at Smashburger emailed me, apologizing again for the issues about reading orders, and put a credit for a free entree on my rewards account.

Well, then.
There was this national pizza place that used to spam the shit out of my email, even though I clicked the "unsubscribe" link every time.
Eventually, I got so frustrated that I tracked down the VP of IT on the internet, sent him an email to his personal email bitching about it, and I ended with "I work in IT. That's how I was able to track you down. How hard is it to flip a bit on my database record to stop sending me mails?"

That was the last spam email I got from them, and he sent me a very lengthy and contrite apology. I'm sure shit rolled plenty downhill on that one.