Whats for Dinner?

GasBandit

Staff member
1643119789705.png

.... I was AT the Razzoo's where Dave first spoke the cursed phrase... they day the humor of men failed. There is no strength left in the world of cajuns.

No pic (unless you want a pic of this dog with only two bites left in it).

Earl Campbells hot links on buns, with american cheese, mustard, and Frank's red hot. Freaking yum.

GasBandit

Staff member
Trying to be health conscious, I'd bought a lot of reduced sodium soup and whatnot.

Cracked open the first can, made it up, took a taste....

...sighed, and reached for the salt shaker. Without the salt, it has almost no flavor beyond that of "water with impurities."

Trying to be health conscious, I'd bought a lot of reduced sodium soup and whatnot.

...sighed, and reached for the salt shaker. Without the salt, it has almost no flavor beyond that of "water with impurities."
I can beat this: I've been cutting out lots of red meat and such for health reasons for months, switching in things like beans to get protein.

I have now been placed on iron pills and ordered back onto red meat because apparently my iron levels are dangerously low... just as I'm starting to like the beans.

You could try using potassium salt if you want to cut down on sodium. Might want to run it by your doctor first, though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I can beat this: I've been cutting out lots of red meat and such for health reasons for months, switching in things like beans to get protein.

I have now been placed on iron pills and ordered back onto red meat because apparently my iron levels are dangerously low... just as I'm starting to like the beans.
I'm already on daily bariatric vitamins as my gastric sleeve basically makes it impossible for me to get any nutrients at all in sufficient quantities without it.

Lunch. I've been watching "spicy ramen challenges" on youtube as of late, and I saw this brand at the store, which has figured in many of those videos.

20220209_112019.jpg

It so did not live up to the hype. My nose barely ran, and I didn't find myself desperately looking for something to wash the spice out of my mouth.

Lunch. I've been watching "spicy ramen challenges" on youtube as of late, and I saw this brand at the store, which has figured in many of those videos.

View attachment 40539

It so did not live up to the hype. My nose barely ran, and I didn't find myself desperately looking for something to wash the spice out of my mouth.
I have a high tolerance for spicy food but these ramen kicked my ass. At least I’m pretty sure it’s these, I don’t have the wrapper anymore.

The Samyang Buldak is pretty tasty, but IMO also has a notably artificial flavor. They also make a 2x spicy version.
I’m gonna tell myself I had the 2x version so I feel tougher.

I also will say I didn’t actually like them that much and felt pretty shitty the rest of the day so I don’t even actually recommend them.

that was the other brand I've seen...but they didn't have it at my grocery store, and it was an impulse buy anyway. I am not mail-ordering ramen just to prove my toughness ;)

I made Korean style fried chicken wings. That korean sauce might be my favorite sauce ever. That sweet,spicy and sour just hits right. No pictures because I could not resist eating them the second it was done.

View attachment 40539

I TRIED THIS AND STARTED LAUGHING! dude two packets of chili flavor ramen from maruchen is hotter!

A female friend of mine in AZ shanghaied me into cooking since she's been following my facebook posts for years. So I made ribeye (medium rare, of course) pan seared and finished in the oven, garlic mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, shallots, cream and butter, a pan sauce/gravy using the meat drippings and fond, shallots, mushrooms, butter and cream. The corn and asparagus (not shown) weren't anything special but still tasty.

I'm committing the sounds she was making while eating them into memory for later use ;)

1646371305306.png

My ex daughter in law convinced me to make bannocks because of that show, Outlander. So, I made some. I munched on one, mulling over the flavor profile, and to me, it seemed like a denser, smaller biscuit with a richer flavor. So, I tried bannocks in all the ways I would use a biscuit. Every way meets my seal of approval.
1649040160414.png
1649040181741.png
1649040206852.png
1649040239686.png
20220403_212903.jpg

Bannocks are a flat, dense scone, basically, made with flour and oats. Alone, they're fairly plain--much like a biscuit. And a littler drier than a biscuit. But they do have a heartier flavor, owing to the oats. The texture--not quite crisp, not quite soft. A bit chewy. Imagine a Popeye's biscuit that's been in the cabinet a little too long, and that describes it. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but I found myself nibbling on them plain while making all the ways, so I guess they're ok :D

Shown: Plain bannocks, egg and sausage bannock, butter and syrup bannock, butter and jam bannock, 'biscuits and gravy' with bannocks. My favorite is the bannocks and gravy, but if all of the above were biscuits, that'd have been my favorite, too, so no surprises there.

These are really easy to make (easier than biscuits), and marginally more healthy owing to the oats. I'll probably make these again.