Whats for Dinner?

figmentPez

Staff member
In the past several years I've discovered that I have quite a few food allergies (or sensitivities, not sure) that I didn't used to. I've known about tree nuts for a while, though it took a while to figure out some of the other stuff. It seems I'm allergic to just about everything in the Rosaceae family. Raspberries and apples were the first I clued in on, but also blackberries, strawberries, peaches, cherries, and roses (including vitamin C from rose hips), among others. I'm not sure when this started, because a decade ago I was eating an apple almost every morning for breakfast and doing great.

Why do I bring this up? Because I basically can't have any jelly/jam anymore; the pectin is almost always from apples, even if the flavor is a fruit I'm not allergic to (like blueberry). So I've been experimenting with other things to have with peanut butter in a sandwich. Honey is out since I'm allergic to so many different trees and flowers. Date syrup is very good, and marshmallow fluff is decent, but today's experiment is much better than either, IMO: cream cheese frosting and peanut butter sandwiches are delicious (if rather indulgent).

I already posted this in the discord, but by gift to my parents for Father's day was a steak dinner:

IMG_20230618_150107.jpg

IMG_20230618_151014.jpg

IMG_20230618_152236.jpg

IMG_20230618_170726.jpg

The steaks were seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder, with some fresh rosemary and thyme in the sous vide bags, along with a little bit of olive oil to help the cooking process. I had planned to finish them on the grill, but as it's raining they were seared in a cast iron pan instead.

The asparagus was just roasted in the oven, tossed in a little bit of olive oil with garlic and parmesan. Not pictured are the salad and rolls because, well, I didn't think to take a picture of them.

20230627_221357.jpg

That curry paste said mild! They lied to me!

:tprun:

because a late nap screwed up my sleep schedule, and because the mushrooms were ready:
Creamy lemon and garlic pappardelle with caramelized shiitake

I harvested enough mushrooms to make two meals of this. Now to let the log rest, so I can see if I can coax it to produce another harvest.
20230701_053046.jpg