Whine like a baby, now with 500% more drama!

GasBandit

Staff member
I have an interview in 30 mins for a position I am moderately ambivalent about.

But for some reason I am so anxious my chest hurts.

When I think about the job I'm applying for, my thoughts are "ehh, I'm probably better off where I am."

SO WHY DO I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING IN THE SHARK TANK

Bah. House hunting in today's market is a pain.
Houses that were 125,000-ish pre-pandemic are running 310-350K now. I just looked at a house that had 28 offers on it, and it wasn't even that good of a house.

So, my choices at the moment are:
  • Wait. Interest rates will go up, and no guarantee that house inventory will improve for a couple of years.
    • Downside here is I'm 17 years til retirement. the longer I wait, the closer to that I'll be. I'd prefer to have more equity at retirement than less.
  • Fight for an overpriced house
    • Downside is the market may turn and I have a house that has 200K more loan on it than it's worth in the future.
  • Look in Tyler. House prices here are more reasonable and less fighting over them.
    • Downside: It's freaking Tyler. All the things I like to do are at least 2.5 hours away.
Looks like it's going to be Tyler.

Every house I've looked at in DFW has 10-30 offers on it, many of them all-cash. There's no competing. The last hurrah was one where I had the highest offer, but the house wouldn't appraise at list price. Because I'm getting a VA loan, appraisals are required and it won't appraise at offer price, the choices are the seller lowers sale price, or I pay the difference in cash. And fuck that, I'm not paying cash over the already high closing costs on a VA loan. So the seller went with a lower, all-cash offer that waived appraisals.

On the other hand, I'm making and offer on a Tyler house today that's bigger, costs less, and is in better shape. But...sigh...Tyler.

GasBandit

Staff member
Looks like it's going to be Tyler.

Every house I've looked at in DFW has 10-30 offers on it, many of them all-cash. There's no competing. The last hurrah was one where I had the highest offer, but the house wouldn't appraise at list price. Because I'm getting a VA loan, appraisals are required and it won't appraise at offer price, the choices are the seller lowers sale price, or I pay the difference in cash. And fuck that, I'm not paying cash over the already high closing costs on a VA loan. So the seller went with a lower, all-cash offer that waived appraisals.

On the other hand, I'm making and offer on a Tyler house today that's bigger, costs less, and is in better shape. But...sigh...Tyler.
Dang, so much for hanging out, eh? If I did move to Grapevine or Lewisville, it'd be just as much a drive for you to get there as it would be for you to come see me in BCS :p

I was in Longview this weekend visiting my mom. I am a little disappointed that I did not IM Tin that I would be nearby.
I'm disappointed too.
1650390384035.png

Though on Saturday I was pretty much in central DFW all day looking at houses.
Post automatically merged:

Dang, so much for hanging out, eh? If I did move to Grapevine or Lewisville, it'd be just as much a drive for you to get there as it would be for you to come see me in BCS :p
Well, I do generally drive out to Denton twice a month to play Irish music. No reason we couldn't meet up one of those evenings.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have an interview in 30 mins for a position I am moderately ambivalent about.

But for some reason I am so anxious my chest hurts.

When I think about the job I'm applying for, my thoughts are "ehh, I'm probably better off where I am."

SO WHY DO I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING IN THE SHARK TANK
Turns out I was super overprepared. This was just, like, a pre-interview with the HR people before they scheduled me for the real interview, which I'll now have next week.

I loved going to the SMG when I lived in Tyler. Opening day for Captain Marvel was the weekend we started spring break, so I went to the cinema bar and enjoyed a couple well-earned drinks before the film started. Teaching high school was rough.

oh, I didn't even think that you're only like 2.5 hours away currently @GasBandit
We should totally make some plan to hang out some weekend regardless of if you move or not.
I know Texas is significantly bigger, but I'm slightly amused thinking, "a 2.5 hour drive would be like, driving from one end of my state all the way to the other". And we're talking north-to-south; east to west is shorter. I think I'm spoiled by proximity to the rest of the state, NYC, Phildelphia, etc., because if I have to drive more than 2 hours, I'd better be going on vacation or it ain't happening.

GasBandit

Staff member
I know Texas is significantly bigger, but I'm slightly amused thinking, "a 2.5 hour drive would be like, driving from one end of my state all the way to the other". And we're talking north-to-south; east to west is shorter. I think I'm spoiled by proximity to the rest of the state, NYC, Phildelphia, etc., because if I have to drive more than 2 hours, I'd better be going on vacation or it ain't happening.
I mean, that's not entirely unreasonable, really. I'm very centrally located - if you drew a triangle between the 3 most major cities of Texas - D/FW, Houston, and San Antonio, where I live is smack in the middle of that triangle, which just so happens to be about 250 miles on a side. From where I am, it's 2 hours to Houston or Austin, and 3 hours to San Antonio or D/FW. So, I can be talked into doing Houston on a day trip, but if I am going to the Metroplex, it generally needs to be an overnight stay, IMO.

Or I guess to put in in NE landmarks... I wouldn't want a day trip to take me further than... uh... Newark to Wilmington? That seems about right.

Also sometimes it can be a 2 hour drive from one side of the DFW Metroplex to the other due to traffic, which is why I am very tepid about the prospect of moving there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Had a customer earlier berating me, screaming at me, and calling "Mr Nobody" because I'm no one "important" like a supervisor or manager.

And now I'm about to bike home in the pouring rain.

So that's fun. How's your day been?
That really sucks. I wish customer service people could respond in kind. I would have loved, in your shoes, to have been able to say, "Sir, you don't merit talking to anyone important."

Had a customer earlier berating me, screaming at me, and calling "Mr Nobody" because I'm no one "important" like a supervisor or manager.

And now I'm about to bike home in the pouring rain.

So that's fun. How's your day been?
Made it home in 18 minutes. (4.86 KM ride)

Really windy at one point where I had to stand up just to power through peddling, but the rain wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Jacket wasn't even soaked.

I was promised a rain storm, not a breezy drizzle. This was nothing.

I used to drive 45 minutes to go to Irish music in Gettysburg PA. People would be shocked. I told them "Here, 45 minutes means crossing 2 state lines. Where I'm from, 45 minutes wouldn't even get you out of the city"

Just to add to Gas and Tin. We measure in how long you have to drive, not in miles. It’s about 2.5 hours to Gas’s area (with a stop at Buc’ees) and about 1.5 hours to where Tin is. Houston is 2 hours, much less to shopping areas, from here to MD Anderson hospital. Dallas is a solid three hours to avoid visiting family. Last summer we drove 14 hours to go to a wedding near Big Bend National Park, and never got closer than an hour to any border in the state.

45 minutes doesn’t even get me out of the county.
Well, counties are generally bigger than cities :D But not always. Houston is home to 9 counties.

Harris county in Houston, Kemah to Tomball is about an hour. The longest travel I could find across Harris is Kemah to Fields Store at about an hour and a quarter. But that's in current, 10pm CST traffic. Leave during morning rush hour (or evening rush hour, or basically any time in between) it's gonna take you about double that to get across the county. If you're lucky. I've spent 4 hours on the road just getting through Houston from Greenspoint to Pasadena (Houston travel, N to SE) before because of some traffic SNAFU.

Last edited:
I live in Langford, about a 20-25 minute drive on a bad day from Victoria and it's VERY common for people to refuse the drive one way or another because it's "long" and I laugh every time someone says it.

Hate Houston traffic SO much. You'd pretty much have to pay me 7 figures to live there.
I lived there just over 30 years. Once I moved away, I swore I'd never move back. And every time I go back to visit friends or family (or even just to hit the outskirts for the Texas Renaissance Festival), I reaffirm to myself my desire to never live there again.

So, as I've often whined about, my department of translation editors is chronically short staffed. This week we interviewed a guy who's just on the edge of having what it takes to do this job. Like, he'll catch 9 out of 10 translation errors, and his English is not at a native level but almost there, so he only makes grammatical errors like once every four or five sentences...

I want to hire him just because we've been shorthanded for so long. My supervisor, however, pointed out that if we hire him and he keeps making mistakes, then he'll actually be creating more work for the other editors because we'd have to recheck his work or deal with angry customer feedback from his cases. She has a point, so we probably won't be able to hire him. But I wanted him. I really really did.

Kind of a pity, though, he's pretty handsome.

GasBandit

Staff member
We’re driving down to that little dip in the northern border tomorrow.
I've driven there more often than I like. SHSU has a satellite campus there, and a College of Osteopathic Medicine. I did the programming on the AV systems for both (well, COM is still underway).

GasBandit

Staff member
And of course, the real bloated sprawl, the DFW Metroplex -

1650489010292.png

That inner line is just Dallas alone, though the whole "grey" area is the metroplex.

Here's how Dallas alone compares to some other cities

1650489077991.png
1650489101880.png
1650489128597.png
1650489159631.png
1650489188956.png

I drive about 800km (500 miles) a week. Luckily it is all for work. I spent 91 hours driving for work last month. This is just between customer locations. The most I've driven in a day is 270km (167 miles). I'm so happy I don't have to pay for gas.

If electric vehicles had better range I'd be all in (if I could afford one). I like to visit my family but there is nothing between here and there short of towns called Hope and Merritt.

...I see you didn't do a comparison to Maricopa County.
Maricopa County
land area-9,200.14 mi²
population 2022-4,734,447

Greater Houston metroplex
Land area- 10,062 mi²
Population 2022-6,603,000

DFW metroplex
Land area- 9286 mi²
Population 2022-6,488,000

It's worth noting that there are 24 cities and towns in Maricopa. Sorry I couldn't find a nice graphic.

Edit the greater Los Angeles metropex has everyone beat at 33K square miles, and 18.7 million residents.

Last edited: