2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine

Ah, when I saw this thread updated I assumed it was about the (currently unconfirmed) reports that Russia had deployed chemical weapons in Mariupol.

GasBandit

Staff member

The lines are pretty much drawn.

When this shit finally boils over, it's going to be a hell of a chapter in the history books, if anybody is alive to print them.

The Russian Black Sea flagship, the Moskva, the ship involved in the Snake Island "Go fuck yourself, Russian warship" incident at the start of the war is apparently sinking after being successfully attacked. Or at the very least badly damaged. According to folk monitoring maritime channels, it's broadcasting sinking and SOS in morse.

Holy shit, Andrew of Channel 5 News is actually in Ukraine.... That's a heckuva step up from Nascar rallies and Q-Anon conferences.

How ironic. WWIII won't happen because the USSR wanted to take over Europe; WWIII will happen because the USSR wanted to take its territory back.

GasBandit

Staff member
The Russian Black Sea flagship, the Moskva, the ship involved in the Snake Island "Go fuck yourself, Russian warship" incident at the start of the war is apparently sinking after being successfully attacked. Or at the very least badly damaged. According to folk monitoring maritime channels, it's broadcasting sinking and SOS in morse.

Conspiracy Theory Time: since neither side actually wants this to escalate to WWIII, the gassing in Mariupol went "unconfirmed". The sinking of the Moskva was actually aided by US/NATO troops and everyone involved on both sides knows full well it's the retaliation/punishment for the gas attack, but neither side can come out and actually say that, since it would mean the Cold War became Hot.

Conspiracy Theory Time: since neither side actually wants this to escalate to WWIII, the gassing in Mariupol went "unconfirmed". The sinking of the Moskva was actually aided by US/NATO troops and everyone involved on both sides knows full well it's the retaliation/punishment for the gas attack, but neither side can come out and actually say that, since it would mean the Cold War became Hot.
My take? No, but only because if Putin had evidence of direct US involvement in the war, he'd be blasting it from every avenue and using it force the US to mediate a resolution that lets Putin save face infront of his people, probably by sacrificing a lot of Ukrainian territory. Ukraine would be forced to comply, because the rest of NATO isn't going to keep supplying them for a war that could end NOW instead of when nukes start flying.

No, I suspect the Moskva suffered a USS Cole-style bombing that wasn't prevented because Russia doesn't have enough experienced navy men in that part of the world.

Dave

Staff member
It really doesn't matter. Both Russian and Chinese state media frame the war as a US & NATO war of aggression and that's what most of the people there believe. What ever makes you think they need proof to trumpet their bullshit from the highest mountain? Or to deny that they are the aggressors and are using genocidal tactics and committing mass rape, murder, and war crimes even though there is ample proof?

GasBandit

Staff member
A recording of a phone call between a Russian soldier and his wife where she gives him permission to rape Ukranians ("just don't tell me about it, and use contraception"), has been making the rounds. The couple has apparently been identified.

A recording of a phone call between a Russian soldier and his wife where she gives him permission to rape Ukranians ("just don't tell me about it, and use contraception"), has been making the rounds. The couple has apparently been identified.

Well, they look like winners.

Pride is a terrible monster. These soldiers rolled in thinking they would be welcomed as heroes, only to be treated like the invaders they are, and forced to retreat with thousands of their comrades dead.

This was the proper punishment in their mind, these were not people to them, but ungrateful animals that would only support their enemies. They had to die.

We need a change on this planet, because as long as we allow these types of people to fester and put pride above life, we will never stop killing each other.

Dave

Staff member
Well, Russian state media is reporting that the sinking of the Moskva was both a tragic accident and the start of WWIII since this is all NATO’s fault.

Me, flipping through album, getting to #2: "...is this just The Wellerman?"
Me, clicking to #3: "Ok, it's not just me."

--Patrick

Considering that France and Germany have been caught selling weapons to Russia despite embargos dating from the Crimea Invasion, I think a bunch of war prizes are the least of their worries.