Coronavirus Thread

Some people just plain don't like to read. My wife has a reading disorder so reading is a little difficult for her. Fair enough. But you should see her folks' house. There isn't anything to read outside of some home decor magazines. My family is the complete opposite. We used to have an actual library (like in Clue). My study has an entire wall dedicated to books, and there are dozens more in my campus office. I've definitely got that academic clutter.

The early days of Covid were largely what life should be like. Not spending every day working, driving to work or trying to recover from work. Money came every week and I was able to try out hobbies. Wife and I got to hang out and hanging out with friends changed but the group made pains to hang out very regularly. I don’t think I’ve ever felt more like my friends were a community.

The dread of a disease made it feel dire but I picked up hobbies during Covid that I never would have tried before.

Boosters are definitely something that I feel like we've sort of dropped the ball on. I have no clue where we're at with number of required, if that's to continue long term etc. I'm at 4 shots total, 2 initial 2 boosters and as far as I know I have none left scheduled, but my girlfriend has 5 total now so I dunno.

Last edited:
That was when everyone tried to bake bread or work on home repair. They also got into sea shanties and bardcore. People tried things they otherwise would not have considered. They tried self-cultivation.

There was this one professional pianist in the UK who specialized in Victorian and Edwardian music. He hosted weekly live sing-alongs for anyone who cared to check out his YouTube channel. Once a week, people could feel like they were in a turn of the century music hall. Folks also had plenty of time with their Spotify and suddenly '70s classic rock became popular again.

@Far My roommate got two vaccines almost back-to-back, thinking it would provide twice the protection. He was woozy for the better part of a day and ate every scrap of junk food in the apartment, but aside from that he was all right.

Last edited:
We have books around, but a lot of them are old and worn, as most of our reading has migrated to ebooks and audiobooks.

I looked for a spring booster since mine was in mid October last year
Mine was …June, I think?
Some people just plain don't like to read.
It didn’t have to be books. It could’ve been hobbies, art, cleanup, rearranging living space, video games, gardening…there are so many other things to do. I would like to know just how much of the “Hurry up and go back to normal!” push was because the people doing that pushing were legit worried they would lose some measure of whatever influence they had. Fame, worship, whatever.

—Patrick

So when asked to make sacrifices, even though most were small or fairly adaptable, a large chunk of people who have never to truly sacrifice, lost their damn minds. That's how spoiled and selfish we've become. And funny enough, it tended to be the most newly immigrated groups among us who adapted to the changes early on. People who came from countries that knew how much worse things could get, and they did their part to prevent it.
I remember the Covid Karen videos that circulated throughout 2020. There is definitely a racial element to it as well. Conservative white Christians are accustomed to being the default or even preferred demographic in the US. Their views, beliefs, and status were never questioned and nobody ever talked back to them. There were rules that pretty much let them do what they wanted and separate rules that kept minorities in line. Suddenly, everybody was in the same boat and had to follow one standard. Look at the yokels who took their guns into state capitol buildings throughout the Rust Belt. They could not tolerate being required to follow the same rules as everyone else and so they tried to use intimidation on lawmakers and public health officials. Their attitude seemed to be, "you can't expect the Whites to follow your rules. Rules are for those people, not the Whites! Nobody cares if the Whites feel oppressed!"

One of the magazines I subscribed to at the time (I think it was Scientific American) hosted a video lecture on Afrofuturism. Black Panther, Lovecraft Country, that sort of thing. They put up the Facebook announcement and lots of people commented on the post. I noticed that minorities and younger people were quite optimistic and positive. And then you had older white commenters who did nothing but whine. Bonus points if their profile pictures were of them holding a fish. Their responses were mostly some version of, "no thanks, I don't want to attend a talk that doesn't care about me. What about white guys like me? Me, me, ME!"

I suppose to give some flavor to the covid reminiscing:

I never got to quarantine. I manage a grocery store, we were all considered essential, and given I live in Florida even though I took as many precautions as I could, few other people did. So rather than staying home and baking bread, or watching Gal Gadot and others make a fool of themselves singing Lenon, I caught covid in the first wave, before there ever was a vaccine, and got permanent heart and lung damage for my troubles.

That heart damage would lead to complications later that treatment of which has more or less depleted all my savings. And will eventually ruin my credit as well, if it hasn't already, as I've simply stopped opening medical bills

Thank you for sharing, @Ravenpoe

It’s important for all of us to have that perspective. Not at that anyone here really downplayed the severity of Covid or forgot why we locked down, of course. It’s just easy to forget how bad it was as time goes on, especially if you were fortunate enough to escape infection before the vaccine.

GasBandit

Staff member
As in you’ve never had it or just once?
Haven't had it even once. I am vaxxed and double boosted, and I thought I had it once but tested negative. Granted I do work from home a lot, but especially in the last 12 months I've been going to client sites like crazy - places with lots of people, with basically nobody masked. So, I don't think I'm PARTICULARLY well insulated or anything.

So far, Li'l Z and I have never had it, but it's only matter of time, despite sticking to our booster schedule and still taking mild precautions.

When I got to work, our receptionist took one look at [my Gryffindor mask] and squealed in delight. Apparently she's a Harry Potter fan.
She's just happy to see you want to be the boy that lived.

Also, here is a (somewhat ad-heavy) article that discusses the neurological complications that "Long-COVID" brings:
"I now think of COVID as a neurological disease as much as I think of it as a pulmonary disease, and that's definitely true in long COVID," says William Pittman, a physician at UCLA Health in Los Angeles
Dr. Elizabeth Mann states, "These debilitating symptoms [of Long-Covid] include extreme fatigue, shortness of breath, myalgia, brain fog, depression, fibrotic lung disease, and pulmonary vascular disease, and we now know [these] can last for many months or even years following infection.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I know someone with long covid who exhibits pretty much all those symptoms, though we haven't checked for lung/vascular diseases.

And it has lasted for well over a year (and counting).

I know someone with long covid who exhibits pretty much all those symptoms, though we haven't checked for lung/vascular diseases.

And it has lasted for well over a year (and counting).
I have pretty much all these symptoms and got it last in June. It honestly hadn't occurred to me it could be related.

Last edited:
It took almost a year and a half before my asthma got back at least close to what it was before I had Covid. It’s still a bit worse, but it’s manageable.

She's just happy to see you want to be the boy that lived.

Also, here is a (somewhat ad-heavy) article that discusses the neurological complications that "Long-COVID" brings:

--Patrick
I'm in this article and I don't like it

I'm in this article and I don't like it
I’m currently experiencing depression-like symptoms harder than I ever have in my entire life, and I mean, a lot harder. I’ve never really been a person who suffers depressive episodes. I’m not saying this as some kind of brag, either. I’ve always been kind of like the boy who left home to find out about the shivers, but for depression. This of course leads to all sorts of fun when dealing with friends/family who are depressed, because I don’t understand what they’re going through, and they know I don’t understand what they’re going through, and that gets very frustrating for both of us. WELL now I have some idea, and I gotta say…no, sir, I don’t like it, not one bit.
BUT after reading the article, it’s nice to learn that this is probably at least in part to Long-COVID, and not solely due to how the world is turning to shit around me.

—Patrick

This dude made a bunch of quarantine videos in spring of 2020. Millions of people saw them and that made lockdown a little easier. That's what I was talking about, with people working together to flatten the curve.

A damn fine run.
The bulgarians finally got me... (to be fair, most tourist where ours, so if i did get it there, it was probably from my own countrymen)

But it's probably not the first time i got it, since last time i had the same symptoms as my father, who tested positive then, while i didn't. Now, of course, i was positive on the rapid test, and he wasn't... but he's got the same sore throat as the main symptom.